Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SportsBog/WP:Jim Zorn's Offseason Goals: Dinosaur Training

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/12/jim_zorns_offseason_goals_dino.html

Jim Zorn's Offseason Goals: Dinosaur Training

By Dan Steinberg | December 29, 2008; 1:56 PM ET

All that Hip Hip Hooray, playing sudden, going to heroics but Staying Medium business has petered out long ago. But the Z Man hasn't gone anywhere. A few hours ago, Santana Moss was asked to describe Jim Zorn's season-ending players meeting.

"Typical Zorn," he said. "Zorn has been Zorn all year, so you knew it was gonna be a little different than how Coach Gibbs expressed things. You know, with Coach Gibbs we went in there, and he said things that he had to say, and it was over. Coach Zorn gonna give you a little more than what's normal."

What did Moss mean? He wouldn't elaborate, so I got another player to show me one of the Zorn handouts. At the top was a John Wooden quote--"Don't mistake activity for achievement"--with a headline reading "Pursuits for the offseason." My own pursuit would be "lay on the sofa and eat Fritos," but here were some of Zorn's bullet points. (There were also football-specific goals, but they were less notable.)

* Read a book/novels or critical concern books

* Make lists/update priorities

* Travel/go some place interesting

* Spend time with teammates

* Education/degrees/future career goals

* Make a calendar

* Give back

* Reestablish yourself with your wife and your kids

Worthy goals, if slightly un-Gibbsian. When he came out to address the media, I asked Zorn about the handout.

Click link for full entry.

Just to get this started on the controversial tip :) , I think so much of what Zorn does comes off as forced and phony. Like him wearing a suit today to set the right tone. Just seems forced.

I never though of Zorn as forced or phony. I just think he's passionate about what he does.

I'm sure he picked up these tips from Holmgren (sp) or some other coach. Hopefully the rookies will buy into it. Just don't see many of the veterans even leaving Redskins Park with that piece of paper.

I don’t think Zorn has completely taken total control of the locker room and it’s understandable given his resume. It will take time and winning.

I never though of Zorn as forced or phony. I just think he's passionate about what he does.

I'm sure he picked up these tips from Holmgren (sp) or some other coach. Hopefully the rookies will buy into it. Just don't see many of the veterans even leaving Redskins Park with that piece of paper.

I don’t think Zorn has completely taken total control of the locker room and it’s understandable given his resume. It will take time and winning.

I couldn't agree more. Good post.

~Bang

In all honesty' date=' Zorn might be better suited for the college game. I wonder why he never went in that direction.

He really seems interested in his players as people, and in the pros, you need to treat players as machinery.[/quote']

I find this comment interesting.

A lot of players have remarked on Gibbs and Gregg Williams as being coaches that taught them as much or more about life as they did about football. It always seemed obvious to me that Gibbs sort of knew what was going on with the players family lives a little bit as each baby was born or a death in the family occurred.

I think Zorn cares, but I can't think of a single instance where he seemed to show that he knew any players very well. Obviously I'm not on the inside, so this is just me uneducated guess from reading quotes, watching PC's, etc.

I've had a full opportunity to see Zorn in the tie and I can't imagine taking him seriously wearing that soley to display a message to his players. It doesn't take a costume to convey a message.

Genuine or not, it's so ridiculous the mediots led the PC with questions about his outfit.

I never though of Zorn as forced or phony. I just think he's passionate about what he does...

No, I don't think he is either, but it IS starting to look a little like he's a dork. You know, the guy who was smarter than everybody else in school, but didn't necessarily wear the cool clothes or hang out with the right people?

That guy.

I really don't care about his persona though. All I want him to do is win...

In all honesty' date=' Zorn might be better suited for the college game. I wonder why he never went in that direction.

He really seems interested in his players as people, and in the pros, you need to treat players as machinery.[/quote']

so did gibbs treat his players as machinery??? I don't think so!! And look at Tom coughlin and the g-men! I watched this peace about him wanting to show more personal side and caring about his players, and look what they did? They won the sb!!!!

Hopefully time will prove that he's not a bad coach but I kind of like what he's suggesting...He's giving players things to do/think about other than football and possibly some sort of direction in the offseason. Whether this type of leadership works or not is up in the air as it's the first I've seen a HC do this.

It sounds a little like Phil Jackson, only without the rings. [Okay, that's a low blow. Still bitter over the season being over.]

Really though, he's given these guys some practical real world advice to keep them grounded. And in this day and age, these athletes can use some grounding and real world advice.

Zorn is going to be an interesting guy to watch develop into a full fledged NFL head coach, if the front office is patient enough to give him time to do so. He could indeed turn into the NFL's version of Phil Jackson, marching to a different beat and winning consistently.

He reminds me a little of Sam Wyche. Remember him? He had a WAY different way of looking at the world and was able to translate that offbeat view into some NFL coaching success with the Bengals and the Bucs.

so did gibbs treat his players as machinery??? I don't think so!! And look at Tom coughlin and the g-men! I watched this peace about him wanting to show more personal side and caring about his players, and look what they did? They won the sb!!!!

Coughlin was openly hostile to his players prior to last year.

Gibbs was a different breed of cat. But I don't think he was as interested in his players as humans during his first tenure in DC. Hell, he was barely interested in his family as humans during his first tenure (remember the stories of having dinner conversations taped so he could listen to them later). And I do think that during his second go-around, his loyalty and love for certain players undermined him. I mean, he treated Mark Brunell like a son and was loyal to him to a fault.

To me, Zorn comes off as a genuine guy. There is nothing wrong with trying to motivate his players with a John Wooden quote and some ideas for the off-season. I agree with the post that said that some of the veterans are not 'with' Zorn yet. Winning will cure that. Heck, Riggins thought Gibbs came from another planet and was cornball, etc.

With the state of our O-Line and D-Line, I think some big personnel changes should be in the mix. Portis and Moss, in my opinion, cause enough strife in the locker room and with the coach that I would not mind seeing either of them leave in a blockbuster trade (in order to upgrade our Lines). If the Giants can win with 'tailback by committee', I think we can do the same.

Until we get our players 100 percent behind Zorn, both in the locker room and on the field, we can forget about the playoffs. When a new boss comes into any business, you either support him, or find another job!

I think Zorn is very genuine, but he needs to improve his communication skills. He seems very self-assured about what he thinks, doesn't have much tact, can have a temper (nasty combo. with lack of tact), maybe has a hard time seeing things from someone else's perspective, and can be a bit preachy. IMO, these things contributed to some of the communication issues he's had. I heard his press conference where he talked about what he said in the locker room: that the players should be careful about going back home and readjusting to being w/ their families full time, the Dinosaur training method, etc. They were good points, but he was talking w/ this air of "I know it all, and I'm here to impart my wisdom to you." Maybe he talks differently to the team, but if he's talking down to them, there's a problem. I think he can improve in these areas, but he won't be a successful HC unless he does. :2cents:

I want JZ to stay...But !!

Your remark is DEAD ON !!

Archived