Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Would you have the patience?

jimster

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

What If this off-season this team decided to get rid of a majority of the vets - to get younger, get the expensive salaries off the books and bring in players to develop that are hand picked by the current coaches/FO personnel and allow Zorn and this staff to contniue to grow themselves. This would mean a lot of rookies and 1st and 2nd year players. In exchange for a ho-hum 6-10 or 7-9 season next year that the team uses to build and mature together en route to becoming a playoff contender year in, year out after next season.

Could fans of this team handle that?

Build a new house

or

Would you rather keep putting spackle on the deteriorating wall.

I'd like to, most fans wouldn't though. They wanna see success every year. If they cannot see success, they wanna see promise that there will be success next season. Such is the life of a large and demanding fanbase.

Now if we were the Titans, totally different ballgame. They can rebuild, and no one will complain much since the fanbase isn't nearly as rabid or large as ours.

Yes...I would be able to weather it should we show progress throughout next year. However, it does scare me to have Vinny making the decision on personnel.

Something needs to give or we will continue with mediocrity.

:2cents:

Vinny is an unknown to us now, but so would any other GM that was brought in.

yes. This team needs to be blown up in many positions and will need to go 4-12 for a few seasons until we have a shot at a superbowl. Keep Moss, Portis, sellers and Cooley on offense and get rid of everyone else with the exception of the rookie WR's and F Davis. Keep heyer for the line and thats it. Try to trade samuels and see if we can get some picks for him.

On D, Keep horton and all of our CBs(get rid of springs if he doesnt come back for vet min) keep McIntosh and Landry as well. Might as well stick with Montgomery and Golston since we have no other options.

but heres the biggest problem...WE HAVE NO DRAFT PICKS TO DO THIS.

but heres the biggest problem...WE HAVE NO DRAFT PICKS TO DO THIS.

If we keep our current picks I think we have just enough to fix the OL in this one offseason.

If we trade down we can do it too, as long as we're getting the right talent.

I wouldn't be opposed to spending all of our picks on the OL this season and all of next season's on DL.

The way the draft classes look, it would be probably be wiser.

If we trade down we can do it too, as long as we're getting the right talent.

This team has not shown that it has the ability to consistently get the right talent once they get to Day 2 of the draft. Until they do, it's going to be more of the same.

There should be a third option saying that a little patience is required for the current crop.

Let's face it, Campbell just finished his second season playing. The addage is it always takes three years. (Eli Manning after year two was ready to be burned alive by Giants fans, remember? Coughlin was as good as fired after 06.)

We spent enough time and picks on the kid, shouldn't we at least ride it a bit to give him a chance to learn the offense better? The other addage is it takes FIVE years for a QB to run the WCO properly. We can't wait that long, obviously, but that is what is the expected norm to master this offense.

I know a lot of folks think we've seen all were going to see out of him, and I think it's premature to make that call given the rest of the circumstances.

Consider this. A lot of people here want to see Brennan. A lot of folks think that's crazy, and I'm with them, it's too early for him. BUT< in terms of learning Zorn and his offense, both of them have been doing it for the same amount of time. Could be if Campbell proves beyond a doubt that he's just not the man next year, Brennan could be ready to be the man. Could be that rebuild has already begun, right?

We can rebuild areas without just signing free agents and plugging holes, we can work in youth at OL, and we can bolster with a free agent or two without going hog wild and throwing giant contracts around. Teams do it all the time successfully.. look at the Pats over the last eight years or so.

The difference is they do it much smarter and get better value. One way that becomes possible is to not have as much turnover at head coach. It becomes easier to find pieces that fit once the coach has his initial group together. Remember, Zorn inherited this entire team except the rooks he helped draft.

I say demand results, but be patient.

~Bang

We can rebuild areas without just signing free agents and plugging holes, we can work in youth at OL, and we can bolster with a free agent or two without going hog wild and throwing giant contracts around. Teams do it all the time successfully.. look at the Pats over the last eight years or so.

The difference is they do it much smarter and get better value. One way that becomes possible is to not have as much turnover at head coach. It becomes easier to find pieces that fit once the coach has his initial group together. Remember, Zorn inherited this entire team except the rooks he helped draft.

I say demand results, but be patient.

~Bang

I agree with that. I wasn't suggesting that our current rookie draft class wouldn't be part of that, or cut vets just to cut them. But rather cut loose the guys that obviously are wearing down and can't be relied on to give us full seasons anymore or aren't contributing the way they were supposed to.

I personally would keep Portis, Samuels, Moss, Fletcher around for a while and obviously keep our recent draft picks around (Landry, McIntosh, Blades Rogers)

I agree with that. I wasn't suggesting that our current rookie draft class wouldn't be part of that, or cut vets just to cut them. But rather cut loose the guys that obviously are wearing down and can't be relied on to give us full seasons anymore or aren't contributing the way they were supposed to.

I personally would keep Portis, Samuels, Moss, Fletcher around for a while and obviously keep our recent draft picks around (Landry, McIntosh, Blades Rogers)

There's always room for retooling even on the best teams, and there's definitely moves we should make, and changes to consider.

~Bang

Impatient fans are the reason we haven't been able to build through the draft like successful teams. The fans will crucify everyone if we aren't competitive every year. You have to go through some bad years of growing in order to be a dominant team in the future, like the Steelers, Colts, Giants, etc went through.

So my answer is yes, I would be patient. But it would never work because the fans of this organization are way too impatient to let anything like that happen, and is the same reason we won't ever get anywhere.

Absolutely! And duh (no offense, just saying that about the FO), that's what they're going to be forced to do anyway regardless of whether it is this coming year or next, or whenever. If they don't do it this year, someone is trying to polish a turd or put Sarah Palin's panties on a goat. Wait? Was that the quote? :paranoid:

Seriously, this place would be gutted in 2010 anyway, so why keep all these old guys who aren't producing on the books? You're going to get just as far if not further with fresh, hungry players with equal or better talent. If Zorn can get younger in spots and get this team to the post season, you've got something in the works. Vinny would keep his job (much to the chagrin of most on this board) b/c these young guys that he has his thumbprint on would have contributed, theoretically, so all will be right in Skins valley, we hope :)

Archived