Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Viruses and Apple computing

dockeryfan

For a long time, mac users have been claiming that they are immune to viruses. It simply isn't true, it's just a function of market share. Mac has about an 8.8% market share. Windows about an 89% market share. So there are about 10 times more windows users than mac users.

CFT1229_10080313F0D.png

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=11

If there are 10 times as many computers using windows platforms, isn't it reasonable that most of the viruses and worms would target PC? Now the trend is changing, with more people going to Mac. Lo and behold, in 2006 we saw the first mac worm. In 2008, there were firmware updates for mac, that added security against potential attack. Now, in December 2008, macintosh is actually recommending to it's users to get *gasp* virus protection. Apple tells Mac users: Get anti-virus

More people using Mac = more viruses. It's not the platform, it's just that there were not enough hackers making viruses that target mac.

I like Macintosh. Especially for music and graphics. If you're going to do those, you really do need a Mac. Is it a better operating system overall? Probably. But lets be real, it isn't immune to virus attack.

Yes. This is always the argument that I make with MAC users when that's mentioned.

I like windows. I have very few issues with it, it does what it's supposed to, and unless I do something stupid, it doesn't crash. I also think its somewhat of a remarkable engineering feat, that it can run with millions of different hardware configurations.

Most Mac users who tout an immunity to virus' are usually misinformed. When I was working for Apple we always made a point that while there aren't many, if any, viruses for Macs, it's still possible.

And Dave, that argument is primarily due to the fact that Apple's OS software has built in features for audio, video and graphics. From CoreAudio, CoreImage and CoreVideo, these are features that tie in with things such as ColorSync, QT, etc. to help make artists lives a bit easier. Also the built in color correction tools are nice to have, while not perfect and not ideal for high end pros, they are good enough to get by if you know what you're doing. It has also supported a wider range of font-types than Windows has, major for designers, now this may have changed some with Vista, but traditionally that's the case. There are a few other reasons too, but those are some of the major ones.

Well I guess Mac is safe... because they say so. You have to admit it's a little fishy putting up advice to get malware protection one day, and then the next day taking that advice down.

Anyway, the market share data speaks for itself. Even my mac user friends will admit to that.

I have no idea why there haven't been any viruses yet. I would think someone would have screwed with Apple by now. But it has been nice to operate my computers for the past 7 years without worrying about any viruses or virus software. Hopefully, that continues for another 7 years.

Edit: According to the link I found (not pro-mac), "Apple's antivirus support note was initially published last year and was updated last month, despite reports that it was a new note." I imagine they took it down once it got noticed over a year after it was published.

thanks for posting that. Been a mac user for 16 years now, no problems, no lost data, no headaches installing/configuring software, just no problems at all. Well maybe one. I bought a cheap wireless keyboard, made by microsoft, put in the software disc, finished the install, restarted my mac mini, and the disc prevented the computer from starting up and would not eject. My mac mini really didn't like the microsoft disc.

For a long time, mac users have been claiming that they are immune to viruses. It simply isn't true,

Neither is your statement. We've always known it's about market share. You're making an obvious point but it's still wiser to buy a Mac if one were trying to avoid viruses and firmware overload. Not to mention the constant updates. I have both a mac laptop and a pc laptop. My pc laptop is a mess and the updates bog it down for HOURS. I can't even power up my pc anymore without waiting at least 30 minutes to use it.

So no matter the reason, it still sucks to use a PC. :)

Are you honestly saying Mac laptops are immune to viruses?

:doh:

No, Dock. I'm saying that Mac users don't claim immunity to viruses. They claim that they are not targeted for viruses do to the market share. In other words, I'm saying, "Bull____ and no duh."

Bottom line. You will have far fewer malware and or virus concerns with OS X than Windows.

Feel free to make excuses or rationalizations for why this is the case, but it doesn't change the fact that this indeed IS the case.

You keep trolling, we'll keep enjoying virus and malware free computers. Deal?

I would bet a large sum of money that if MAC had the market share that Windows does, they'd have the exact same issues. Unless MS has a cataclysmic meltdown, and MAC takes that market share, we'll never know though.

Out of curiosity, anyone have any idea how many companies use MAC products exclusively? Does MAC make any kind of networking software that could be used in the business world?

Bottom line. You will have far fewer malware and or virus concerns with OS X than Windows.

Feel free to make excuses or rationalizations for why this is the case, but it doesn't change the fact that this indeed IS the case.

You keep trolling, we'll keep enjoying virus and malware free computers. Deal?

You also have to consider web surfing habits when talking about the likely hood of getting viruses/spyware.

If you're the kinda person who clicks every link he sees its not gonna matter what platform you use, you will still end up getting infected.

Used PC's all my life. Gotten maybe 2 viruses in that time and both were caught immediately because I actually have AV and I make sure my computers stay patched - which a lot of people never do. Don't bother with AV and haven't patched once since they got the computer :doh: no **** your computer runs like ass.

Only reason I stick to PC's is because you can actually build your own and upgrade easily. Forget about overclocking on a Mac.

But there is no denying Macs get attacked less but there are legitimate reasons besides "OMG ITS CREATED BETTER!!!11!"

A lot of it has to do with users, I agree. People who are not computer savvy may click every link they see. Of course they are going to get a virus.

As a mac user, I know that there is always a chance i could get a virus. In 4 years with my Powerbook though, I haven't gotten one. Knock on wood.

I absolutely HATE virus software though. It's all a freaking rip off.

For a long time, mac users have been claiming that they are immune to viruses. It simply isn't true, it's just a function of market share. Mac has about an 8.8% market share. Windows about an 89% market share. So there are about 10 times more windows users than mac users.

CFT1229_10080313F0D.png

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=11

If there are 10 times as many computers using windows platforms, isn't it reasonable that most of the viruses and worms would target PC? Now the trend is changing, with more people going to Mac. Lo and behold, in 2006 we saw the first mac worm. In 2008, there were firmware updates for mac, that added security against potential attack. Now, in December 2008, macintosh is actually recommending to it's users to get *gasp* virus protection. Apple tells Mac users: Get anti-virus

More people using Mac = more viruses. It's not the platform, it's just that there were not enough hackers making viruses that target mac.

I like Macintosh. Especially for music and graphics. If you're going to do those, you really do need a Mac. Is it a better operating system overall? Probably. But lets be real, it isn't immune to virus attack.

i do graphics and my pc works just fine.

in fact you need to run parallels to do high end graphics stuff.

I would bet a large sum of money that if MAC had the market share that Windows does, they'd have the exact same issues. Unless MS has a cataclysmic meltdown, and MAC takes that market share, we'll never know though.

That's the point though, isn't it? It's not a woulda coulda shoulda world. What matters to the consumer is the fact that their platform of choice is relatively far safer from attack, and less prone to malware. The causes aren't particularly relevant to their user experience.

The problem I have with MAC's is that they are expensive and proprietary.

You can't build your own MAC and can't purchase their OS separately.

That said, they are very user friendly, and are highly recommended.

Apple deleting the anti-virus suggestion was pure PR move. I would put money that Apple would recommend using such programs if not for a PR backlash. Apple is about perception just like MS has always been.

Apple deleting the anti-virus suggestion was pure PR move. I would put money that Apple would recommend using such programs if not for a PR backlash. Apple is about perception just like MS has always been.

Yes, they are seriously image conscious, but I think they took it down because it was a stupid suggestion. The suggestion was that users should run multiple antivirus programs. The experts, apparently, think its stupid and counterproductive for anyone to use multiple antivirus programs.

Now Apple says, "The Mac is designed with built-in technologies that provide protection against malicious software and security threats right out of the box. However, since no system can be 100 percent immune from every threat, running antivirus software may offer additional protection."

I know this is moving slightly off-topic, but you mentioned it in your post.

I've always heard that Macs are better for multimedia development. Why is this the case? At this point most of the hardware is the same.

Depends on what you mean.. If you're talking tickering with Photoshop on a Mac sure it's better than on a standard PC.. but anyone serious about creating 3D content isn't using a MAC.. They are using a PC, stuff full of ram and two Monster SLI Nvidia cards with a gig of memory a piece.

Fit that in your Mac.. oh wait.. nm you can't open it.

Fit that in your Mac.. oh wait.. nm you can't open it.

Yeah you can...Mac Pro is upgradeable. But why you would need more than 8 GB of RAM in any machine is beryond me. Unless you have a 64 bit system that can utilize more than that.

But don't get into the custom pc vs mac argument because Apple's hardware selection is probably based around what will integrate best with the software. I've never had a problem with my non-custom Powerbook. Everything in it was put in there by the design team at Apple and it has worked flawlessly since the day I purchased it.

Archived