Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Viruses and Apple computing

dockeryfan

Yeah you can...Mac Pro is upgradeable. But why you would need more than 8 GB of RAM in any machine is beryond me. Unless you have a 64 bit system that can utilize more than that.

But don't get into the custom pc vs mac argument because Apple's hardware selection is probably based around what will integrate best with the software. I've never had a problem with my non-custom Powerbook. Everything in it was put in there by the design team at Apple and it has worked flawlessly since the day I purchased it.

Sorry Macs are rigid.. Of course you don't want to get into that argument, because you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.. PC is a hell of a lot easier and less expensive to upgrade.. Now that Mac has gone intel I predict that changing rapidly, but as of right now it is what it is.. It's easier to maximize the potential of a PC.. above average PC with a few minor tweaks and abundant ram is better than any Mac...And butt loads cheaper. don't get me wrong, the mac has it's place, they're perfect for admins to give all the know nothing employees when they don't want them to hurt anything. One thing I won't sit for is the misinformed spreading misinformation.

People who have Macs, only have them to make themselves feel special and superior to everyone else on their lowly PC's. Are Mac's better? Nope.. for 500 bucks I could build a PC that kicks the hell out of a 1400 dollar mac in every single category.

That's just from a hardware standpoint. Which a lot of Mac fanbois find really hard to seperate hardware and software sides.. On the hardware side, PC's kick the ever living crap out of a mac period.. If you even think for a second about arguing with this, your too ignorant for this thread and should go play Doom 1 or something. It's a fact get over it..

Now if this was a conversation purely on Mac OS vs Windows, well then that's different.. I use windows more, because it's more useful, however that doesn't make it better. I recognize the fact that Mac OS is built from the ground up to be far more robust than Windows. It also makes far better use of it's resources so you don't need a top of the line machine to run a mac apps on. If you could put a Mac on a top of the line PC, omg. It would kick the everliving crap out of Windows. I've actually been hoping that Mac would release their OS retail but that will never happen.. That would mean that they'd have to start supporting hardware, which Apple hates doing.

My only problem with mac is they don't release it retail and they charge you an arm and a leg for their OS on subpar hardware.

Mac users are like vegans, the idea is solid, but the people who chose to be a part of that community ruin it.

Of course I am talking about stereotypical mac users and not all of them. A lot of the people that have posted in these threads are objective. But some of them are just fanboys.

Also I have never heard a mac user suggest that they did not get virii only because macs weren't targeted. I have a hard time believing that the majority of mac and pc users would even know that virii would need to be different for each platform.

I don't know what people are doing to get these viruses but I have been building and maintaining my PC's for years now and I've never gotten a virus. I think that like 99% of the viruses people get are from doing stupid ass things in the first place, most of it is entirely preventable and just has to do with making good decisions.

I don't really love windows, but lets stop pretending like it's the operating system's fault that most of it's users are retarded. Mac users are just retarded PC users who were smart enough to figure out that if they went to an OS that nobody gave a **** about, they would be less prone to viruses.

Yeah you can...Mac Pro is upgradeable. But why you would need more than 8 GB of RAM in any machine is beryond me. Unless you have a 64 bit system that can utilize more than that.

But don't get into the custom pc vs mac argument because Apple's hardware selection is probably based around what will integrate best with the software. I've never had a problem with my non-custom Powerbook. Everything in it was put in there by the design team at Apple and it has worked flawlessly since the day I purchased it.

thats cuz you do sissy things with your computer.

Depends on what you mean.. If you're talking tickering with Photoshop on a Mac sure it's better than on a standard PC.. but anyone serious about creating 3D content isn't using a MAC.. They are using a PC, stuff full of ram and two Monster SLI Nvidia cards with a gig of memory a piece.

Fit that in your Mac.. oh wait.. nm you can't open it.

yeah you have to use parallels if you want to run any autodesk products... or you can stick with cinema 4d -- but the industry standard are autodesk products.

dual cards are a waste of money for professionals since we don't render in real time. i'd much rather have that new nvidia Quadro CX -- but, my quadro 1700 is quite nice.

frankly, some people like me will use every ounce of computer power out of my computer and then ***** that i want more. hell when i was working on my thesis i was using seven computers and still was ****ing that i wanted more.

Serious question - why do you guys care so much what computers OTHER people have? Is it like your sports team or do you get profit shares of who sells more?

You like Macs? Buy one (I have one).

You like PCs? Buy one.

Who gives a **** what other people have? Its a computer.

Sorry Macs are rigid.. Of course you don't want to get into that argument, because you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.. PC is a hell of a lot easier and less expensive to upgrade.. Now that Mac has gone intel I predict that changing rapidly, but as of right now it is what it is.. It's easier to maximize the potential of a PC.. above average PC with a few minor tweaks and abundant ram is better than any Mac...And butt loads cheaper. don't get me wrong, the mac has it's place, they're perfect for admins to give all the know nothing employees when they don't want them to hurt anything. One thing I won't sit for is the misinformed spreading misinformation.

People who have Macs, only have them to make themselves feel special and superior to everyone else on their lowly PC's. Are Mac's better? Nope.. for 500 bucks I could build a PC that kicks the hell out of a 1400 dollar mac in every single category.

That's just from a hardware standpoint. Which a lot of Mac fanbois find really hard to seperate hardware and software sides.. On the hardware side, PC's kick the ever living crap out of a mac period.. If you even think for a second about arguing with this, your too ignorant for this thread and should go play Doom 1 or something. It's a fact get over it..

Now if this was a conversation purely on Mac OS vs Windows, well then that's different.. I use windows more, because it's more useful, however that doesn't make it better. I recognize the fact that Mac OS is built from the ground up to be far more robust than Windows. It also makes far better use of it's resources so you don't need a top of the line machine to run a mac apps on. If you could put a Mac on a top of the line PC, omg. It would kick the everliving crap out of Windows. I've actually been hoping that Mac would release their OS retail but that will never happen.. That would mean that they'd have to start supporting hardware, which Apple hates doing.

My only problem with mac is they don't release it retail and they charge you an arm and a leg for their OS on subpar hardware.

I agree with you on this. Hence why people are making Hackintoshes. If Apple sold their OS to work on computers other than their own hardware, I would absolutely build my own computer. I don't see that happening until Steve Jobs is gone though. He is slowly tearing down the company...dumbing down the hardware...seriously...no FW400 on the new Macbook and Macbook Pro, wtf.:doh:

thats cuz you do sissy things with your computer.

I guess mixing 48 tracks of audio with multiple instances of plugins running is a pretty sissy thing to do. ;)

Two things:

1) Yes, it's a function of a market share, but who cares? The bottom line is: you won't get a virus on your mac. Sometimes, IT DOESN'T MATTER why things are the way the are, it just matters that they are.

2) OS X is significantly more secure than Windows. It's much harder for a virus to get access to your system files --- you have to GIVE it access for that to happen. Windows hands over the registry and system folders to programs on a regular basis.

cheaper gaming ability is the biggest reason I still use PC's

If I had enough money I'd get a mac but they are just too expensive... it seems like Apple prices in too high of a premium for it's brand. The lack of malware isn't good enough of a reason to shell out an extra grand

1) Yes, it's a function of a market share, but who cares? The bottom line is: you won't get a virus on your mac. Sometimes, IT DOESN'T MATTER why things are the way the are, it just matters that they are.

That's solid reasoning but market share is increasing pretty fast, and if it is a function of market share then in the future there will be malware problems. Especially if your argument is good enough to convince more PC users.

Did adobe pay you for that advertisement ChocolateCitySkin?

ever since adobe went 64 bit i love me some adobe. :drool:

i multitask alot of time switching between apps and it really helps having assloads of ram when you have 15 different photoshop files open and 7 different illustrator files.

don't even get me started if i'm doing 3d modelling... rendering a 15 billion polygon model and we're looking at 7 gigs of ram on one program.

that picture was just photoshop using 4 gigs of ram cuz i had a monsterous history cache on something like 15 different images.

Serious question - why do you guys care so much what computers OTHER people have? Is it like your sports team or do you get profit shares of who sells more?

You like Macs? Buy one (I have one).

You like PCs? Buy one.

Who gives a **** what other people have? Its a computer.

Ain't that the ****in truth.

It's fun to talk smack back and forth a little bit, but some people take the whole Mac/PC and 360/PS3 thing WAY TOO SERIOUSLY.

Archived