Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: What to do at Right Tackle

#98QBKiller

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I think that we have to keep Heyer ready for the LT spot. I know Samuels is great and one of the best linemen, but he is getting up there in age and is now starting to have some injury problems.

I think that we need to draft a stud RT. He can either learn on the bench while Heyer plays RT for the short term and if needed Heyer can be moved to LT and the rookie can come in to RT.

I do believe that Reinheart will be Kendell's replacement, but we do need to draft another interior linement as well as a RT. This team also needs to address the D-line, but I'm not saying anything that most of you don't already know.

I would like to see Heyer in the mix, however, drafting a quality starter would certainly be ok.

I am still BPA drafter, so if the BPA is a guard you grab that guy. I am a little disappointed that Chad R. is not ready to play. Whenever I hear that I think bust. Add to the fact that we haven't heard anything about him in a while, and it doesn't look good. At this point leaving him off the starting rotation next year is probably a safe bet.

At this point, I'd say "it depends". This year is strong for OL so I'd love it if we could draft an OT that we could start on the right and move to the left side when Samuels is done. I also wouldn't be averse to trading next year's first rounder plus a late round pick to get another first or second round pick with which I'd select the best OT or OG/C available. Heyer would then be a backup which appears to be where he belongs.

With two picks on the OL, Rhinehart and Geisinger we'd be in decent shape in terms of rebuilding our OL and could then move on to other areas that are sorely in need of help *cough* DL *cough* *cough*.

OTOH, if we decided to sign Gross to play RT and drafted a blue chip DT, I wouldn't have a problem with going that route. However, from what I've seen the DT class doesn't seem to be all that great, certainly not as deep or as good as the OTs. Therefore, I think it's probably best to go with the stronger group in the draft, especially since that's where our greatest need is.

Oh, and for the record, I decided to oblige IbleedBnG83 by picking Jansen. ;)

Some notes to diffrent people on this thread...

1. Not every player on a team needs to be pro bowl caliber. Stephon Heyer is a good young player tons of teams would of signed if they could.

2. Albert Haynesworth is the definition of a redskins free agent. A guy that dominates in his contract year and relaxes once he gets that BIG deal. That is well noted so... don't sign.

3. I heard somebody say we need to rebuild our d-line before our o-line...Hopefully you wern't being serious. Our offense has been a joke for years and the only reason it has been this year is only becuase of our offensive line.

4. Samuels to RT at this point would be seriously retarded and hopefully Rinehart can step in to LG next year. If we walked into next year with a starting o-line that looked like this I'd be thrilled.

LT: Chris Samuels

LG: Jordan Gross

C: Anybody but "Drive-Killer"

RG: Randy Thomas

RT: Stephon Heyer

If Chad Rinehart could step in an the coaches felt comfortable with him that be great. It would let us let go on Randy Thomas(My favorite o-lineman:()

Heyer is not the answer. He's ok as a pass protector, but he's not a good run blocker.

We definately need to draft a RT. Move Jansen inside (if he can), bring along Chad, and keep Heyer for depth. We're ranked among the Worst in the league for giving up sacks. Teams know to just blitz and were done.

Heyer is not a long term solution. He is a good swing back up to have, a 3rd tackle, but not a long term starter

This is one of the few cases where I advocate breaking the bank for a Jordan Gross. We gotta get this guy. The line automatically stabilizes with him, and it buys time to develop some draft picks

Some notes to diffrent people on this thread...

LT: Chris Samuels

LG: Jordan Gross

C: Anybody but "Drive-Killer"

RG: Randy Thomas

RT: Stephon Heyer

If Chad Rinehart could step in an the coaches felt comfortable with him that be great. It would let us let go on Randy Thomas(My favorite o-lineman:()

Gross is a tackle and a stud at tackle. Theres no chance in heck that we sign him for less then 7-8mill year. If we sign him...he wont be a guard.

Stephon shows he has problems with fast DE and the stronger ones. He is not the answer.

Chad Rinehart is a T/G. He'll most likely fill Kendalls spot as a guard. He looked good at guard in preseason, but was real slow at tackle.

Jansen is going to have to move inside to make this team. Like they tried with Wade, but Jansen is a natural run blocker. He should make the transition and provide depth.

I would like to see the line:

LT: Samuels

LG: Reinhart

C: Rabach

RG: Thomas

RT: Gross or 1st round pick !!

I would say trade Samuels. He's still worth a few higher draft picks, and one of the few players we could still trade.....we could replace him with this years draft.

no teams are going to bite on a 31 year old tackle who is coming off knee surgery and triceps surgery. samuels isn't going anywhere and shouldnt go anywhere. he will still play LT for the next 1-3 years.

For all those who think switching samuels to RT is just an overnight fix, think again. i'm not saying he can't do it, but its not as easy as some make it out to be, everything has to be relearned (technique wise). i think its unwise to assume that he will be able to make the switch flawlessly when the time comes.

I would say trade Samuels. He's still worth a few higher draft picks, and one of the few players we could still trade.....we could replace him with this years draft.

A 32 year old lineman coming off season ending surgery on his triceps and will need knee surgery is worth a few higher draft picks!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Drug use is a *****, aint it!?

I think the needs inside are too pressing to address tackle this year. We probably go into next year with Heyer and Samuels as our tackles, maybe even switching Samuels to the right side given that Heyer seems more athletic at this stage in his career and has done a fine job in pass pro since Samuels went down. Rabach and Kendall should not be relied on as starters next year. We have to try and squeeze another year out of Samuels and Thomas.

On a side not to that, Thomas needs to start pulling again. We run no counters, no misdirections and don't pull lineman. That's Thomas' strength, getting on the edge in the pulling game. We've quit utilizing that the last 2 thirds of the season for whatever reason.

I'm surprised at how many people in this thread are counting out Samuels.

He's had the same knee surgery done in the past and it never affected his play once he returned and he said himself that the torn tricep wasn't nearly as bad as Randy Thomas' was last year....and that injury hasn't hampered Randy this year.

Chris Samuels is fine.

Thank God there was an explanation, because I was about to have a brain aneurysm trying to figure out the logic behind it. :)

Just sort of an homage to those of us who for the last couple of seasons or so have been saying Jansen is done only to be answered with comments like "Jansen's still got it/He'll be back full speed, you'll see/Shutup Cowboy trolls" etc.

I am wondering who the one anonymous Jansen vote belongs to though....that you Mrs. Jansen? ;)

Draft another tackle.

I'm a big Heyer fan, he seems to be a great kid and has far outplayed his draft (or lack thereof) status. That being said he hasn't done a single thing to make me say "He is the future at RT."

What he has shown me is flashes here and there. He's also shown me he still needs work whether it is increasing strength and conditioning or technique I don't know and I'm not going to pretend I do. What I do know is that our run blocking significantly increased on the right side when Jansen went in. Our pass blocking also suffered so we know his strengths and we know his weaknesses. Hopefully in time his run blocking can begin to resemble his pass blocking skills. As a run oriented team we can't afford a one-dimensional pass blocker on the right side.

I'm not saying we hand the job to a rookie either. We can take a stud tackle and open the position up in camp. If Jansen is still here then let him compete too though I wouldn't expect him to win.

We're going to need three starter quality tackles. I don't see any reason Samuels won't return as the LT next season so I would like to see Heyer and a rookie battle out the RT job with the loser backing up both T positions.

Love to sign Gross and draft OL. That is nothing against Heyer. It would just be great to get younger and deeper on the line.

1. Sign Gross

2. trade down

3. Guard in 2nd

3 two threes- one lb and a dt

Start working on a young line that will be together for a long time and then start working on other holes.

Love to sign Gross and draft OL. That is nothing against Heyer. It would just be great to get younger and deeper on the line.

1. Sign Gross

2. trade down

3. Guard in 2nd

3 two threes- one lb and a dt

Start working on a young line that will be together for a long time and then start working on other holes.

BEST SITUATION POSSIBLE...

this is by far the best possible scenario for us to have...It fills our needs and gives us a good situation for the future.

Archived