Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: What to do at Right Tackle

#98QBKiller

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I like Jordan Gross, but watching the Panthers game yesterday, he plays LT for them. I don't know how big of a switch it is to go from LT to RT, but I want the person coming in to fill the RT spot to have a seamless transition. If it's not that big of a deal then I'm all for Gross. If it is, then I go with the draft.

He started at RT all of his rookie season so he definitely can play both sides.

Gross is going to want a very large contract. For an FA signing, I would go for Jason Brown of the Ravens. He started all 16 games for them last season at LG, all 15 games so far this season at C and would come in at a much more reasonable contract and would give us great flexibility. Could then draft an OT in the first/second round of the draft to compete with Heyer, Jansen etc.

Get Heyer prepped all off season and preseason to get into the Right Tackle spot.

Start getting Reinhart ready to replace Kendall in 2010.

Take a tackle with a 1st round pick, or a center or guard with a 2nd or 3rd.

If its a guard, get him playing behind Randy Thomas and ready to take over for Thomas come by 2010.

If its a center, start grooming him to replace Rabach by 2010 or 2011.

If its the tackle, start grooming him for Left Tackle and see how he goes.

Perferably, I'd like to go the Center or Guard route. We could go a few more years with Samuel's and get a Tackle to take over for him in Next years draft.

On the down side, you do have the current line for the start of the year...sans Jansen for Heyer. However, I don't think that'll be bad. It was late in the year where problems start coming. By that time if there are injuries or wear, Rienhart should be ready to come in if need be and hopefully that rookie we draft will be able to step in should it need be.

Come 2010 that would set us up with 3 out of our 5 linemen being relatively young, with Samuel's still likely playing at a high level and either Rabach or Thomas which I'd be fine with for an additional year.

A 32 year old lineman coming off season ending surgery on his triceps and will need knee surgery is worth a few higher draft picks!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Drug use is a *****, aint it!?

you're kidding me right?....Samuels still managed to make the pro bowl, and is still viewed by many as one of, if not the best LT in the game....we could easily get a 2nd and a few later picks for him.

I would love to see Vinny pull a Tuna and use almost the entire draft rebuilding the OL and DL.

We have too big name FAs.

Haynesworth and Gross, both will pull a hefty salary 7+mill year. SO....

opt. A: Do we tighten up the DL by bringing in a 2x probowler thats 27year old and then use the draft entirely on the OL and LB? If we do sign Haynes. we must keep the first rounder and pick up a stud RT. 1st round tackles are rarely a bust. Use 3rd on LB/C etc....

opt. B: Do we try to get Gross, who by the way plays both LT and RT, and is 28 years old. He would clamp down the line needs. We could use Jansen/Heyer for depth. This could change the draft. We wouldnt need to waste a first rounder on a DT. Most great ones go top 10, but the good one can fall to the late second and third rounds. We could trade down and pick up a LB/DT in the 2nd-3rd. Take a couple shots at DE or G/C.

Guest Barricade

I believe Jansen has lost it. Heyer hasn't sold me completely yet, but with the off-season I'm confident he'll play well at RT. I'd like to see a stud LT drafted to study behind Samuels and be fully prepared to take over when he's needed.

Heyer is not a long term solution. He is a good swing back up to have, a 3rd tackle, but not a long term starter

This is one of the few cases where I advocate breaking the bank for a Jordan Gross. We gotta get this guy. The line automatically stabilizes with him, and it buys time to develop some draft picks

I'm in the Skins shouldn't break the bank for anyone until we need just 1 more player camp. Why would Gross want to come here anyway? Must be for the 25% premium Snyder will pay. We've seen how well that works out. How 'bout Snyder spends $1,000,000 upgrading the scouting dept.? There are players throughout the draft if we can find them.

Heyer's play has been amazing the last few games at LT. We know that we need to do something at RT because Jansen just isn't what he once was, especially in pass protection.

So what do we do?

Do we draft a tackle, make a move in free agency (Jordan Gross?), or does Heyer get the start at RT position?

I'm kind of torn on what to do.

We also know that we likely need to find Pete Kendall's replacement in the offseason regardless of whether Kendall stays with us or not, because although Kendall is doing a great job and is more than capable of coming back and starting next season we need to get younger at that position.

There are all kinds of scenarios, grab someone in FA/start Heyer at RT and draft a stud guard, draft a tackle in round 1 and a guard in round 3, etc.

So anyway, what to do at RT?

I have been saying this all season.Move Samuels to RT.Leave Heyer at LT

I would like to trade down and draft Duke Robinson in the first round. He could replace Pete Kendall. Then trade up to the second round and draft Phil Loadholt. He could compete with Heyer and Jansen for the RT spot. Eventualy he would move to LT while Samuels moves to the RT spot.

A LT is harder to get in the draft and usually even harder to develop. We need SIZE on the line. I think Heyer may be an adequate backup but we need to try and get either Johnson or Robinson and start them at left guard and try and get Loadholt with our second pck to play RT. We also have to try and get a FA center. Let Samuels stay at LT. Just game plan when we have to go up against a speed rusher like Ware to do a lot of roll outs and moving pockets.

I love how Heyer has what, 6 career starts and he's not good? Will you say the same thing if Rhinehart gets in next year? You cats have to be MORE patient with developing players. Grimm and Jacoby stunk the first year (1981), learning along the way and went on to be pro-bowl caliber players. And you guys do know that Mark May couldn't break the starting lineup his first 2 years here? He was a 1st round pick. He started his 3rd year when Fred Dean called it quits. Seriously, show some patience with some of these guys.

Gross is going to want a very large contract. For an FA signing, I would go for Jason Brown of the Ravens. He started all 16 games for them last season at LG, all 15 games so far this season at C and would come in at a much more reasonable contract and would give us great flexibility. Could then draft an OT in the first/second round of the draft to compete with Heyer, Jansen etc.

Brown might want a hefty contract too but I agree he's the best FA center out there.

Of the current group we got, Heyer has to be the starter. It's not even a debate.

But in a perfect world, Heyer is a utility guy and not a full time starter. He can come off the bench in a pinch and play either tackle and I bet he could even do well at guard.

But unfortutely due to neglect and stupid contracts, this oline is in need of a major overhaul but I don't know how much we can do considering the cap implications of getting rid of the dead weight (Jansen & Rabach).

Sure glad we drafted a project with our 3rd round pick this year. Hey maybe he can see the field in 2010.:doh:

I would like to trade down and draft Duke Robinson in the first round. He could replace Pete Kendall. Then trade up to the second round and draft Phil Loadholt. He could compete with Heyer and Jansen for the RT spot. Eventualy he would move to LT while Samuels moves to the RT spot.

:applause::applause::applause:

I'm all about drafting Duke Robinson and Phil Loadholt. Most of the draft sites are saying that Loadholt will be a RT though, until he progresses some more. But he like you said eventually he could work his way to LT.

Archived