Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Polin And Czabe: Zorn will not be here next year.

BleedinBurgNGold

That would set the franchise back even further...trade Campbell too then...cause he'll be starting over again.

It's unfortunate how true this is. I doubt Campbell is going to have the stomach for this. He's not going to say anything - not his style - but I know he's obviously not going to be happy. Who is happy getting jerked around at their job? Answer: noone.

I can see it now.

Predictions --

Zorn fired.

Vinny -- who was bragging about Zorn being his hire when the skins were 6-2 -- somehow keeps his job.

The first coach to agree that JC is a pro bowl qb in the making gets the job. It will probably be Fassel, who will now agree to anything as long as it gets him a HC gig.

JC gets extension.

Draft day comes and Cerrato takes more skill players. Uses his trusty "the linemen available weren't rated high on our draft board" excuse.

On offense, we have all the same problems we had this year and the year before.

Rinse, repeat.

Sadly, that could be true. That's why I hope we keep Zorn. If he can't make something out of Campbell by game 2 of the regular season -- we dump Campbell and try someone who can run the complexities of Zorn's WCO.

I sometimes wonder if grafting a WCO on top of Gibbs type of power running game offense is all that workable. I wish Zorn was given a chance to innovate -- with his own offense, and with his QB and RB of choice.

Zorn should not be fired. He needs to be given a chance to learn from his first year as a head coach. Surely we didn't hire him thinking we'd be a SB contender this year did we?

We have to show that we're willing to show committment to someone and work with him. If Portis and Moss or whoever else isn't happy, then trade em and move on. Everyone on this roster is replaceable.

The time is now to commit to getting younger and letting Zorn coach guys from the ground up. He's doing it now with Thomas, Kelly and Davis so let's see what they do next year. In the meantime, start dumping veterans and start getting younger.

I certainly hope he is given another year. The guy had no input in his coaching staff or anything. How many other coaches would accept this challenge? Let him have the reigns next year with what he feels he needs on his coaching staff and players. We cannot afford to start anew again and again and again and, well you get the picture.

I am on the fence on this -- there seems to be 2 sides to Zorn: The guy who sells out his players in press conferences seemingly to buck himself up while he seems insensitive to some of his players in public comments, he himself seems sensitive to public criticism.

The guy that seems to have a predicatable and non innovative scheme -- he says the scheme is good but the players just don't execute it well. Maybe? But how does Cameron do it on Baltimore with arguably less talent, a rookie QB, and a new offense. Who are the big wide receiver play makers in Miami, how are they doing it there?

The guy who at least at the moment doesn't seem to be much of a motivator -- the team has come out flat in big games with playoff implications on the line.

Or, you have the nice guy who just speaks his mind. He has proven he can make something out of QB's, but you just need to be patient. Maybe he doesn't have it yet as a play caller but he will grow into it or it can be that he is just conservative for the moment with his play calling and will add more innovative wrinkles as the team masters the basics.

I really don't see too many parallels to Coughlin's tenue with the Giants. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the Giants go to the playoffs 2 out of the three years he was the coach before the Super bowl year? Yeah Tiki, and Strahan rebelled publicly about Coughlin's over the top discipline but the team was having some success. The offense wasn't inept even with a young QB. Their defense was under achieving but far from a disaster. And Coughlin proved to be a winner previously with Jacksonville.

Zorn is an unknown. The scary thing to me about Zorn is I wonder about him in EITHER role -- head coach or coordinator. As head coach, he at the moment doesn't have the Gibbs flair of taking responsibility (aside from Monday's press conference which struck me as someone telling Zorn he had to do this to make up for what he has said in the past) for the team's failures. The buck stops with the players -- now that is very Norv Turnish. He can't get them up for big games. Forget last week. They have been a disaster in big games on prime time TV this season.

And he seems to lose his cool on the sidelines when things go awry. Heck he loses his cool even on talk radio. In those regards, the opposite of Gibbs.

As a play caller, he at the moment reminds me most of Jimmy Raye the offense coordinator under Marty. IMO the offense is beyond bad but actually painful to watch. Basically run, run, hitch, hitch. Once in a blue moon you go deep. Almost zero innovation. To me that's the most dissapointing aspect of Zorn the offense right now isn't just bad but IMO its boring.

Now I could be wrong about all of this but if the team feels its indeed true, I am not sure you grow into being that much of a better coach. Some of this is just personality and style. Did Norv grow in to being a better coach? I am not into continuity for the sake of continuity.

Yeah they dumped Marty too quick. But Marty was Marty, a proven winner. Ditto Coughlin. If they see a lot of potential in Zorn, I agree keep him but if they don't, IMO don't keep him, I don't think they need to overcompensate for past mistakes and keep him around.

I think it was Riggins or somebody earlier in the season said they expect Zorn to either become a great head coach or a disaster. Remember the team that Zorn worked for liked him as a QB coach but DIDN'T see him as an O coodinator or future head coach. If I had an employee working for me for 8 years, I'd probably have a good sense about how they would do with a promotion.

I am playing devil's advocate here some, becuase the trend here seems to be very pro-Zorn. I am truly on the fence. I am just saying dumping him doesn't seem silly to me, I think its a tough call.

hire mike holmgren. Let him decide what to do w/ Zorn. OC or QB coach. Holmgren means little transition for JC. Players won't be able to undermine his authority. The reality is washington needs a big name. We tried the young cordinator route, and it didn't work. The DC obsession w/ this team, and the brutally critical media make the skins job a pressure cooker. Only a name like Gibbs, Cowher and Holmgren are big enough names to go unquestioned. We need Mike Holmgren.

hire mike holmgren. Let him decide what to do w/ Zorn. OC or QB coach. Holmgren means little transition for JC. Players won't be able to undermine his authority. The reality is washington needs a big name. We tried the young cordinator route, and it didn't work. The DC obsession w/ this team, and the brutally critical media make the skins job a pressure cooker. Only a name like Gibbs, Cowher and Holmgren are big enough names to go unquestioned. We need Mike Holmgren.

true ... I wouldn't mind brining in Holmgreen as a GM, regardless of what he did in Seattle, its gotta be better than Vinny. It might lend some stability to Zorn as the HC. Holmgreen could even help Zorn out with x's and o's, but his presence alone as the GM gives him the authority over the players and garners instant respect, and allows Zorn to focus on getting his offense implemented, and not worrying about so much about personell.

But I don't see Snyder taking control away from Vinny, and I don't see Holmgreen co-existing with a triad of Vinny, Dan and himself. At least not in the fatherly guidance way that Gibbs did.

Archived