Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Polin And Czabe: Zorn will not be here next year.

BleedinBurgNGold

If Zorn loses his job and Cerrato keeps his...

I'm finding a new team to root for. Seriously, just because the franchise/business is located near D.C. and called the Washington Redskins doesn't mean I have to follow 10 years of Keystone Kops management again. I've rooted for losing Skins teams, and hell, I'm a Warriors fan, but I won't root for a team run by an owner to egotistical to hire a competent football guy to fix it. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

This is not what they hope (or me for that matter) but they see the writing on the wall. I also believe this may happen depending on what happens the last 2 games. For all of you in the DC are and know who these two are, It surprises me that Andy would also jump on this saying he believes Zorn is gone. I think its a bad move. Management is our Issue, Give Zorn another year.

Although that First and Goal from the friggin 1 yrd line series is tough to swallow. :doh:

Thoughts?

So, if management is the problem and you are management, what do you do? Fire the head coach...

I think Zorn is likely safe unless he's butting heads with Vinny or Danny.

Zorn was a Snyderrato hire.

He was their "find".

They would have to admit failure by firing him.

Also remember they couldn't find anyone to take this job last year. Suffice to say a year later this job has only gotten worse, not better. So they know finding another coach would be an ordeal.

The X factor is the star who can be lured with money.

Marty was going to come back, until Steve Spurrier announced he was open to leaving Florida and coming to the NFL.

I firmly believe that Snyder knew Gibbs was itching to come back and sort of pushed Spurrier out the door in 03 to bring Gibbs in.

If a Cowher or someone on that level tells him "Dan, pay me 10 million and I'll be your coach." Danny would fire Zorn. Otherwise I really do think Zorn is going to get a second year.

Snyder has run out of options at this point. I personally can't see him running Zorn out of town and going to get another ordinary run-of-the-mill coach that generates no hype around NFL circles.

If anything, doing so and running the risk that the new guy fails only does what Danny has been a master of avoiding over the years. That is, have all blame for the demise of the franchise fall directly on his shoulders.

Yes, Mr. Snyder has tried everything...he's hired a reputable veteran coach in Schottenheimer, he's hired the king of the college coaching ranks, he hired the Hall-of-Famer. Now he tried something different with Zorn - bringing in the fresh new face on the NFL coaching scene. While each move prior to Zorn helped Snyder re-establish good will with an angered fanbase to an extent, they all put total responsibility squarely on the coach's shoulders. All the while, Snyder got mulligan after mulligan, as he was seen as trying to do what was best for the wellbeing of the franchise.

Basically, the only option out there that again would unfortunately establish a mulligan system amongst alot of the fanbase towards Mr. Snyder is the hiring of Cowher. If he can't get him, Zorn stays for another year, likely struggles due to roster issues, and at the end of the day, Dan will say, "hey, he couldn't get it right in two years - I was patient - his fault!" and shows him the door.

Anything other than that (e.g. another low profile coach or hot assistant) and Snyder basically commits to taking the brunt of the blame for the demise of the franchise.

Call me a fool, but I don't think we'll see the day where that happens.

Dan Snyder has learned two things really well in his time as Redskins' owner:

a. How to make money.

b. How to escape criticism.

Sure, I appreciate that he cares about the team like other passionate fans do. I can't accept the fact that he weasels his way out of taking responsibility during tough times.

Being a true face of the franchise requires admitting your faults, recognizing your deficiencies and shortcomings, and being a man by being willing to correct your faults.

Mr. Snyder has shown NO maturity in this regard.

Great post CH....couldn't agree more.

And while I think Zorn is going to get another year....every time I read one of TK's, Zoony's, or Lavarleap's posts on the topic, I get doubts.

I can see it now.

Predictions --

Zorn fired.

Vinny -- who was bragging about Zorn being his hire when the skins were 6-2 -- somehow keeps his job.

The first coach to agree that JC is a pro bowl qb in the making gets the job. It will probably be Fassel, who will now agree to anything as long as it gets him a HC gig.

JC gets extension.

Draft day comes and Cerrato takes more skill players. Uses his trusty "the linemen available weren't rated high on our draft board" excuse.

On offense, we have all the same problems we had this year and the year before.

Rinse, repeat.

giggity giggity! I can't wait!!!:munchout:

It would make absolutely no sense for Snyder to bag Zorn after 1 year given that there are really no new candidates from last year - Cowher, Spagnulo, Fassel, et. al - and they basically didn't want it last year. You think they would want it after Snyder pulls the plug on Zorn after 1 year?

But then again, few things Snyder does make sense to me.

I can see it now.

Predictions --

Zorn fired.

Vinny -- who was bragging about Zorn being his hire when the skins were 6-2 -- somehow keeps his job.

The first coach to agree that JC is a pro bowl qb in the making gets the job. It will probably be Fassel, who will now agree to anything as long as it gets him a HC gig.

JC gets extension.

Draft day comes and Cerrato takes more skill players. Uses his trusty "the linemen available weren't rated high on our draft board" excuse.

Rinse, repeat.

please stop dude, no more. i feel like i hopped into doc browns delorian reading your post. lol

I was not sure on this one, I think he needs another year or two before he gets the axe, but with Danny and the Vinster, you never know. So I went out to the web of truth...the Internet 8-Ball has spoken...

"Will Jim Zorn be the Redskins coach next year?"

"It is certain"

Zorn is emblematic of the overall problem.

The Redskins just don't make sound football moves.

Cerrato is a less than inspiring GM with no track record of success. Zorn is a coach with no track record of success.

Then you look at some of the major free agent and offseason moves.

Was Antwaan Randle El worth $10M because he ran gadget plays in Pittsburgh? Where were his stats as a wide receiver to back up the investment?

Brandon Lloyd was a never-has-been that the team gave up multiple picks for and then extended his contract before he ever proved he was worth a lick in the NFL.

These two moves are the reason there is no depth at WR on this footbal team right now.

Offensive line?

The team made Randy Thomas the highest paid guard in the NFL at the time and he has how many pro bowls to his credit through 9 NFL seasons?

The team made Jon Jansen one of the highest paid offensive tackles AFTER he ruptured an achilles and missed the season at age 30. Who does that? Who commits major dollars to a guy who hasn't proven he can come back and play at a high level?

Pete Kendall is a nice 35 year old who has filled in for two years. That was the plan given his age. The problem? The team's #3 pick, who was supposed to come in and provide depth at OG, Chad Rinehart, has been inactive for almost the entire season, apparently not showing Bugel enough to even consider him for backup duty in 2008.

On this line to not be good enough to beat out the #8 and #9 linemen says a lot about what you are NOT.

Defense?

Marcus Washington is now hurt for the 3rd consecutive year. When is the team finally going to find a capable SAM linebacker to fill this hole?

Jason Taylor is so done even my 6 year old nephew can see that.

Andre Carter has 3 sacks in 14 games. Dave Butz secured more sacks than that playing inside at 6'7 and 300 pounds in an age when DTs were run stoppers first.

Inside, like Marcus Washington, Cornelius Griffin is again hurt for the 3rd consecutive season. This guy just can't hold up. He never suffers a serious injury that threatens his career, just enough middling injuries to ensure he is often less than 100%.

I can see it now.

Predictions --

Zorn fired.

JC gets extension.

Rinse, repeat.

This may sound crazy, but it may pretty close to the truth.

Snyder has run out of options at this point. I personally can't see him running Zorn out of town and going to get another ordinary run-of-the-mill coach that generates no hype around NFL circles.

If anything, doing so and running the risk that the new guy fails only does what Danny has been a master of avoiding over the years. That is, have all blame for the demise of the franchise fall directly on his shoulders.

Yes, Mr. Snyder has tried everything...he's hired a reputable veteran coach in Schottenheimer, he's hired the king of the college coaching ranks, he hired the Hall-of-Famer. Now he tried something different with Zorn - bringing in the fresh new face on the NFL coaching scene. While each move prior to Zorn helped Snyder re-establish good will with an angered fanbase to an extent, they all put total responsibility squarely on the coach's shoulders. All the while, Snyder got mulligan after mulligan, as he was seen as trying to do what was best for the wellbeing of the franchise.

Basically, the only option out there that again would unfortunately establish a mulligan system amongst alot of the fanbase towards Mr. Snyder is the hiring of Cowher. If he can't get him, Zorn stays for another year, likely struggles due to roster issues, and at the end of the day, Dan will say, "hey, he couldn't get it right in two years - I was patient - his fault!" and shows him the door.

Anything other than that (e.g. another low profile coach or hot assistant) and Snyder basically commits to taking the brunt of the blame for the demise of the franchise.

Call me a fool, but I don't think we'll see the day where that happens.

Dan Snyder has learned two things really well in his time as Redskins' owner:

a. How to make money.

b. How to escape criticism.

Sure, I appreciate that he cares about the team like other passionate fans do. I can't accept the fact that he weasels his way out of taking responsibility during tough times.

Being a true face of the franchise requires admitting your faults, recognizing your deficiencies and shortcomings, and being a man by being willing to correct your faults.

Mr. Snyder has shown NO maturity in this regard.

one of the most logical posts I have read in a long time

I hope Zorn doesn't get fired after this year, I know he's not a "perfect" head coach and some of his decisions he's made both on the field and off the field have been questionable... If Redskins need one thing it's stability - especially at the head coaching position. And I don't blame Zorn for all the faults I see on game day, sure some of the play calling is questionable but he inherited a team that was needing a lot of help both defensively and offensively, mainly on both lines. I didn't expect too much from his first year, I was surprised we had started off so well to be honest. I believe we peaked early and the team has come back to reality. We need to re-build, re-group and make better decisions on the personnel side of things this off season if we really expect this team to be a contender in the NFC east. Surely most of us wanted to see the skins make the playoffs before the season started - we all did - as if this year was anything unlike the rest. Even in the years past when we did make it we were always one of the last teams to clinch a spot and it's usually not on our own accord, not to mention the quick exit once we arrived... I honestly don't see it happening this year and if we do make it we're certainly not deserving of the position given our recent self destruction we've all witnessed over the past 5 weeks. You certainly can't expect Zorn to be the cure for this struggling team, our front office has put us in this situation and it's coming back to bite us all in the rear.

Thank you Vinny for your bedazzling approach to building this "masterpiece" you put on the field on Sundays. :rolleyes:

Archived