Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Positive/Intelligent Rap/Hip Hop?

DaRock

I just started working at an adolescent counseling center and the music they listen to while we drive, which is what I'm assuming they listen to most of the time is such a negative influence. I am looking for suggestions to any artists that fit the thread title. Am not looking for a halo over the music, some cursing OK, which would be a massive reduction. Just some tunes that don't glorify the lifestyle portrayed on CD by the artists they listen to currently and that they can like, learn and respect.

the pharcyde

immortal technique

dead prez

lil brother

tupac (unconditional love, dear mama, I ain't mad at cha, dude, just look for the songs that look intellegent, because his heart is what made Tupac an icon)

go thru Bone thugs n Harmony

Common Sense

this is just a basic f' it list of artists or groups whom the majority of music they put out either A. has substance, or B. is "intellegent", ie. anti-solja boy.

I'm not a hip-hop historian, but that's a step in the right direction...

Common and Pharcyde, yea but the rest of your picks may not be the best for what he's asking...

also

A tribe called quest

Pete rock / CL Smooth

The Roots

De La Soul

Souls of mischief / Hieroglyphics

Digable Planets

J-Live

People under the stairs

Outkast

krs one

tribe called quest

de la soul

the roots

Money. :applause:

Talib Kweli and Slick Rick belong in there too. Even some of Kanye's stuff (especially "Everything I Am") is very relevant and has a good message.

Goodie Mob's only good album was very deep also (I consider it the best rap album ever made) but might be a little hardcore language-wise for the kiddies.

I agree with most pretty much all of what's been said in here.

I will add, however, Brother Ali, Blu, Del The Funky Homosapien, Digable Planets, Rhymefest, Atmosphere, Felt, Masta Ace, Jay Electronica, Josh Martinez, Jurassic 5, Non Phixion, Nas, Wu-Tang, Panacea, Camp-Lo.

BTW, Little Brother already got some love earlier. But I do second the opinion.

• 1 year later...

A. Tribe. Called. Quest.

Also for fun rap: DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince

All the Native Tongues acts are great intelligent fun rap like De La Soul.

Also, The Fugees.

----------------

A Tribe Called Quest

De La Soul

Pharcyde

Pete Rock and CL Smooth

Run DMC

Archived