Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Worst Special Teams in the league? (Merged)

SkinsTerps26

Punter, Kicker, Kick return and Punt Return...

we have honestly have to have the worst unit out there right now.

Everytime we go for a FG, i expect a miss. When I see fat boy out there to punt, i expect a shank or max 30 net yards. Rock is serviceable, but he'll never do more than run straight at the wedge. And ARE is just garbage as a punt returner.

How is it possible to be this bad in special teams? Is it coaching, or just lack of obtaining the right talent for these positions?

If it wasn't for the Red Snapper, our special teams would be getting outdone by college teams.

Vtech's special teams > Redskins special teams. Not even close

Seriously...Amen

How is this not a point of fury for every fan...Heads should roll.

Some of us are always ****ing about it every week. You're right, though. It should be a bigger deal. The putrid offense is covering it up. If the offense never had that 4 great weeks, we'd probably still have Brooks.

The worst special teams: The Washington Redskins....bring Nick Novak BACK!!

Novak WTF? No way do I want Nick "I can't make a 36 yarder in a domed stadium to save my ass" Novak back! I would like to have a consistant Kicking game, but we have not had a good kicker since Chip Lohmiller left, why should I expect anything different

I wouldn't say ARE is a horrible punt returner... He has no blocking 19 times out of 20. He makes maybe one or two guys miss often when he catches the punt... Problem is there's 7 people on top of him. It boggles my mind how Danny Smith is still employed. Kick Return blocking should be his only job since that's all he seems to be able to set up.

But that being said, I still think we should get rid of ARE because he costs too much and gives too little.

it starts at the top. Vinny isn't the mind that will outsmart the entire NFL. He's average at best, the team is average at best, and it shows.

Gibbs got us close enough to taste what it could be like, and were getting driven back to the freaking middle again.

first time i've ever been jealous of the ravens franchise

Ok. For starters, I like the guy, he gives his all and has a lot of heart, but lets cut to the chase.

He is about the 4th or lower choice at RB, now that Sellars is getting a piece of the action.

He is probably the slowest Returner in the entire NFL.

On Coverage he seems to repeatidly either not get to, or mishandle the ball when it can be possibly downed inside the five yard line.

What exactly is he doing to keep his position on this football team?

Ok. For starters, I like the guy, he gives his all and has a lot of heart, but lets cut to the chase.

He is about the 4th or lower choice at RB, now that Sellars is getting a piece of the action.

On Coverage he seems to repeatidly either not get to, or mishandle the ball when it can be possibly downed inside the five yard line.

What exactly is he doing to keep his position on this football team?

Not sure what you watch, but he is VERY good on coverage and gets good position. Maybe not tonight, but normally he is right there.

He's solid on kickoff returns (emphasizing consistency over the home run threat).

He's very good on kick coverage.

He calls the protection schemes for the punt team.

He's the special teams captain, and regardless of what some people think, teams is actually just as important as offense and defense.

Is he the most talented athlete? Hardly. But he does play a very vital role.

As much as I hate to say it and as much as I love the guy to death, I agree with a substantial part of this assessment. I love ya Rock, but DAMN.

You are an idiot. Cartwright is the soul of this team.
Well now, aren't we mature...

Despite what some of you may think, Cartright is probably the most consistent player we have on the team. He constantly gives us great field position on every kickoff return that I can think of. I'm actually surprised at the post. Cartwright is probably one of the best kickoff returners in the league. Has he broken one for a touchdown? No. But if you can recall, several times he got us to at least the 30 yard line. Now I don't know about you, but to me, that's good starting field position. So stop hating on Rock. Rock is not the reason this team can't put together scoring drives. He does his job and he does it well. I can't think of another kick off returner I rather have, other than Rock. He may not be the most athletic or gifted player on the team, but I challenge you, I challenge you to find someone with as much heart as ROCK. And that my friend is what he brings.....Heart.

He's ranked 21 in the NFL with a 24.8 average per kick return. While not elite status that isn't terrible. He is more sure handed than many of the return men, has been credited with 9 tackles and is always giving 100%.

I viewed his return consistency over the past few weeks as one of our bright spots.

Ha..hahaha this is funny how some people can sit here and stick up for this guy. He is absolutely GARBAGE on kick returns. That's what he brings to the team. I've never said this in my life but I can honestly say it now with truth. If I was on the field, I can get just as many yards as Rock can on a kick return. You just catch the ball, run full speed ahead, put your head down and somehow pretend your going to maul everyone in your way and make it to the 25-30. Then you get tackled and pretend your a huge hard ass and start getting in peoples faces. Open your eyes people, stop defending someone who has been consistantely garbage on our kick returns. Booohoo because the guy has heart. Last time I checked its skill/talent that is going to win football games, not being the 'heart of the football team'.

Archived