Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Suffering from a loss of Identity without Williams and Gibbs

Lavarleap56

As the season goes on its odvious that we lost the identity that Gibbs and Williams brought to this team. Over the past 4 seasons while the teams efforts didnt always result in wins there toughness was never questioned. At this point this team plays soft and its getting worse week by week. Gibbs may have been overbearing and treated them like children at times but you know what its odvious he had to to keep them focused and play with heart.

Zorn may very well be a good coach one day but he came in and let the inmates run the asylum to quickly and they are reverting back to the days of old that we finally thought were behind us. Players on this team need to be micromanaged and treated like kids to get results out of them.

Williams used to have the responsibility to get this team fired up before games and the team as a whole played with his pasion and fire as well as Gibbs NOW only certain players play with Passion and i respect them for that but this team is getting overtakin by a prima donna attitude that needs to be dealt with quickly or it will get worse.

This game has alot of time to be played in and they may pull it out but these issues will still be there tommorrow morning after all the dust settles and the future looks dim. I have posted alot more recently than i ever have because frustration has been boiling out of me since the begining of the season and it continues to build as the season goes along.

In leadership it is always better to come in and rule with a iron fist and then back off slowly if you feel your able to trust the people under you, zorn came in and did it the opposite and the players are not taking him seriously.

I'll say that many many Redskin fans really underestimated the value Joe brought to this team as a leader.....as the glue if you will. Too much attention was paid to the offensive failing (which haven't gone away). I agree with your thoughts on the coddeling the players on this particular team need. JG was perfect for these guys.

OTOH, if you've paid attention to the fall of the Jaguar defense this year its hard to know how much we really miss GW.

With that said its way to early for threads like this. Zorn has done well for a first year guy. He should continue to grow and develop.

OTOH, if you've paid attention to the fall of the Jaguar defense this year its hard to know how much we really miss GW.

I don't know. I always saw Joe & Gregg as the Ying to the other Yang. Gibbs was always stoic & emotionless on the sidelines while Gregg at times looked like was going to get committed.

I'll say that many many Redskin fans really underestimated the value Joe brought to this team as a leader.....as the glue if you will. Too much attention was paid to the offensive failing (which haven't gone away). I agree with your thoughts on the coddeling the players on this particular team need. JG was perfect for these guys.

With that said its way to early for threads like this. Zorn has done well for a first year guy. He should continue to grow and develop.

dude im only passing along information as for players dont respect or follow him like they did Williams and Gibbs. Hate to say it but it is the truth i cant wait till about 15 players and 2 coaches hit the road so i can really put all the info out there without negative ramifications. players on this team towed the company line with Gibbs and Williams and why i didnt agree with it at the time Williams making a example out of a different defensive player riding the bench regardless of his salary set the example for this team.

on offense we look unprepared and overmatched week in and week out now with no signs of change in sight.

This whole Zorn has done great this year thing is getting out of hand. The team has regressed. Zorn is the offense, the offense is terrible. The Defense is the only thing ok and thats a carry over.

Honestly, does Synder give the thought of a coaching change? I'm not talking about fans who may want Zorn gone or the constant Bill Cowher threads the last week. I am talking about what is going thru Snyder's mind.

The Skins have imploded from that 6-2 start. In reality, haven't been a good team since the first Eagles win.

This team is looking at 9-7 at best and probably 8-8 or 7-9. Does Snyder feel that the early season promise will come to fruition in 2009.

The Dolphins, Falcons and the Ravens that are kicking our asses had new coaches. All of those teams are in the playoff hunt also but they seem to be getter better as the season goes. We have been getting worse.

After the season, does Dan decide it's one and done for Zorn? Or does Dan feel Zorn came in handicapped and needs another year to prove himself?

Early on, it looked as though Zorn was going to establish a new "take a shot" identity.

Any last glimmering of that notion sputtered out with his astonishing spineless decision to punt on 4th and short in Ravens territory with less than a minute left in the first half.

Teams that don't play like they intend to win don't win.

LavarLeap56 has proven in the past to know things. I was afraid of this before he said anything, and now I feel like there's a pretty decent confirmation from him. If I had to bet, he's passing on what's being said by people within the organization.

This team has no heart right now.

dude im only passing along information as for players dont respect or follow him like they did Williams and Gibbs. Hate to say it but it is the truth i cant wait till about 15 players and 2 coaches hit the road so i can really put all the info out there without negative ramifications. players on this team towed the company line with Gibbs and Williams and why i didnt agree with it at the time Williams making a example out of a different defensive player riding the bench regardless of his salary set the example for this team.

on offense we look unprepared and overmatched week in and week out now with no signs of change in sight.

Yikes. That isn't encouraging to hear LL. I haven't been sensing that players were tuneing out the coaching staff. Of course, I'm not talking to anyone either "in the know" either.

No question that the offense looks bad.....really bad. As a fan I have to hold out hope that our 1st year head coach will reign this thing in once he has more time to mold and develop his offense. Its not fun having to "fall back" on that excuse but from an outsiders perspective it does seem reasonable that Zorn would need some time to fully implement his offense and get the current talent, or new talent, fully engraned in the system.

Anyway it is destressing to hear that players are not necessarily respecting Zorn.....at least in the same way they were the prior staff.

This whole Zorn has done great this year thing is getting out of hand. The team has regressed. Zorn is the offense, the offense is terrible. The Defense is the only thing ok and thats a carry over.

Everyone had different expectatoins going into this season Skins81. Going in I wasn't expecting much more than 8-8 give or take a game. With that said this team is where I expected it to be so I don't necessarily think they've imploded. Certainly though I can see how many had their expectatoins change after the fast start.

I'll overwhelmingly agree that the offense looks bad. Zorn needs to get this ship righted. However, based on LL's comments it remains to be seen if the players will support him (which would obviously undermine his efforts).

What was the identity of the team last year before Todd Collins went in and saved the season?

the identity last season was of a team that gave 100% effort on every play and played with pride and determination but offensivley was hamperd by saunders not opening up the playbook for Campbell. Saunders openly argued for Collins to be the starter even when brunell was struggling the season before. Collins came in and Saunders opend the whole offense up and we sall what we expected to see when saunders first got here.

I didnt expect anything but 8-8 at best from this team this season. Teams with new coaches usually struggle at first then as they become familiar with the new ways and get better as the season goes along. The Redskins have gotten worse in almost every game after the bye week.

Blache didnt even want Jason Taylor on this team and in case everyone forgot was quoted as saying so in the washington post around the draft but guess what hes here anyway. this team is in dire straights right now fellas and is in danger of pissing away everything that was built in the past 4 seasons.

i dont know everything and wont claim 2 but this looks familiar to me. Before Gibbs got here we were know around the league as a team that you punch in the mouth and they fold. Sean Taylor, Joe Gibbs, and Williams helped change that attitude and i fear we are slipping back to that mentality as each week passes. Players are already making plans for vacations after the last regular season game of the year and that is not a team that is determined to change the season.

You wont see this in the paper or hear it on comcast because this team is still bonded to eachother after the tragedy last season but some players do question if Campbell has the it factor neccassary to put a team on his shoulders when the rest of the team is struggling.

Look at Landry intercepting a pass thats great and finally he makes a play but your team is getting killed and you get up and taught and celebrate????

this game isnt about individual accolades and accomplishments and there playing as individuals not a team.

The Redskins have gotten worse in almost every game after the bye week.

this game isnt about individual accolades and accomplishments and there playing as individuals not a team.

That's also about the time that the O Line started going to :pooh: Makes ya think, don't it......

So Lavarleap, do you have any idea when the players started losing respect for Zorn? I mean, it all seemed so perfect after that win against Philly. You'd think they would have respected him then.

...but then it seems like the entire team just kind of fell asleep.

Great answer to the "what was the identity" question, by the way. Yes, people--the team had an identity even before the winning streak. I'm sorry that they didn't win enough games to your satisfaction in the first 12 weeks of the season...but they still played tough and stayed in just about every game. They didn't just give up after the first half like this year's team. (Completely shut out in the second half in four out of five losses. Probably would have happened again tonight if Landry hadn't intercepted the ball in Ravens territory.) This is just embarassing.

A Gibbs team would never get worse as the season went on.

The biggest disappointment is that we're not showing signs of improvement, but the opposite.

There is no question we won out two of the past four decembers with sheer grit and determination. That is currently nowhere to be seen and yet most of the players are exactly the same.

There is no question we won out two of the past four Decembers with sheer grit and determination. That is currently nowhere to be seen and yet most of the players are exactly the same.

And that's part of the Gibbs identity. The last couple of days I've quietly been wondering if Zorn could channel that Gibbsesque determination & sheer will. Looks like we're going to find out.

Damn thats a shame to hear. So whats causing this?? Did the high dollar players we put our money really not just give a crap? LL is always on the money with his inside info, is our team just weak mentally? Looks like Fletcher could get the D in line, not sure who would do that for the O.

And that's part of the Gibbs identity. The last couple of days I've quietly been wondering if Zorn could channel that Gibbsesque determination & sheer will. Looks like we're going to find out.

I've been wondering the exact same thing.

At least with Gibbs in a bad season they might play not to lose. Gibbs made it known that it was not okay to embarrass yourself.

Zorn has at times given the impression that growing pains are all right. I don't recall Gibbs ever giving me that impression.

exactly tk, players doubt if he can put them in positions to be successful on a consistent basis on offense but certain players are giving it all they have for eachother despite the plays being called. Gibbs and Williams had a knack for keeping the team together as a whole and the defense continued to fight regardless of what the offense did or didnt do. This game is a defining moment for Zorn imo.

right now im encouraged because it looks like there playing for there personal pride hopefully they continue and can pull it out but the ravens are going to try and run the clock out so well see how we respond.

Archived