Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who says we don't draft lines? A look at Danny's drafts and roster status

corrupt3d

Vinny's strategy is that you use free agency to fill needs and draft the best players available with the tiebreaker on the BPA going to a position of need.

I think we will be active in the free agent market if we need to replace a starter. Or if someone just too good to pass up becomes available. Like Albert Haynesworth for example.

I really don't buy that BPA is Vinny's strategy. This last draft, I think he went whole hog on WR, hoping at least one would work out. Two of our three 2nd rounders for WR, three for three if there was any intention of lining Davis wide. The rest of the draft seems like afterthoughts. Much as I hoped Brooks would work out, by what criteria is a pure punter ever the BPA? I think Vinny goes for glamour picks, and distorts BPA by weighing the "skill" postions much too high compared to the less glamourous line positions.

I really don't buy that BPA is Vinny's strategy. This last draft, I think he went whole hog on WR, hoping at least one would work out. Two of our three 2nd rounders for WR, three for three if there was any intention of lining Davis wide. The rest of the draft seems like afterthoughts. Much as I hoped Brooks would work out, by what criteria is a pure punter ever the BPA? I think Vinny goes for glamour picks, and distorts BPA by weighing the "skill" postions much too high compared to the less glamourous line positions.

It would have been interesting if Merling had been on the board when we picked at 34, or Laws at 48. Those picks could have gone very differently.

Most of the rest of the draft dealt with depth we needed on this team.

It would have been interesting if Merling had been on the board when we picked at 34, or Laws at 48. Those picks could have gone very differently.

Most of the rest of the draft dealt with depth we needed on this team.

Calais Campbell was available for one of our 2nd round picks. (Yeah, he hasn't started in Arizona yet, like our 2nd rounders aren't starting. Merling hasn't done much better in Miami). I really wonder if we'd have gotten Merling if he was available, or such talk is making excuses for Vinny.

Calais Campbell was available for one of our 2nd round picks. (Yeah, he hasn't started in Arizona yet, like our 2nd rounders aren't starting. Merling hasn't done much better in Miami). I really wonder if we'd have gotten Merling if he was available, or such talk is making excuses for Vinny.

They said before the draft that what they really wanted was a penetrating DT. Merling is a guy who can play both inside and outside and is someone they spent a lot of time looking at. Laws is admittedly a shot in the dark, but he's the only DT that went the whole round.

Campbell is just a DE, who, despite his size, struggled when playing inside. He's also pretty raw from everything I read about him. To be honest, I don't think he would have helped much here this year either.

They said before the draft that what they really wanted was a penetrating DT. Merling is a guy who can play both inside and outside and is someone they spent a lot of time looking at. Laws is admittedly a shot in the dark, but he's the only DT that went the whole round.

Campbell is just a DE, who, despite his size, struggled when playing inside. He's also pretty raw from everything I read about him. To be honest, I don't think he would have helped much here this year either.

Good points. :cheers:

Sorry. Every year we need line help and every year Vinny finds some reason not to take one in the early rounds of the draft.

The emphasis on the trenches just isn't there.

Meanwhile, I'm watching an absolutely dominant Dallas defensive line right now.

To say that we need to ignore FA and build thru the draft is idiotic! We have 4 picks this year. We have a bunch of talent that could be drastically improved with better lines. You get one player to rush the middle on the DL and it will dramatically improve our pass rush on the edges. You get a starting RT and a G and you have a dramatically improved pass protection.

This years draft does not have a great crop of DT/DE talent. OL is the better talent pool this year. So if you want to draft a lineman make it a G or T over DT or DE. Id go get Haynesworth no questions asked. He is worth it. There needs to be a cleaning house of old overpaid players (Springs, Washington, Daniels, Jansen, Griffin, Randle El). With the money we save you throw it at Haynesworth and Gross in the offseason. Take the best G at our draft pick in the first round (Duke Robinson) and you give our team a huge boost on both of the lines that you can build off of for years to come.

I laugh at everybody who says we should sit back and draft d-line/o-line late and develope them. THAT'S WHAT WE'VE BEEN DOING FOR YEARS.

This years team is good enough to have won 10 games this season so far. Were just to soft, and it starts with the Offensive/Defensive line.

Golston, Montomery, Evans, and Carter give us a good foundation. If we could draft a stud in the first round at either Defensive tackle/end it would be BIG TIME.

Same with the Offensive line, drafting a stud prospect(Maybe not even in the 1st round) at LG/RG or even Center would start a good foundation with Heyer and Rinehart.

I fear for this paper.

Me too. Taking the side that the Skins have NOT ignored the lines? :wtf: Is this guy some kind of masochist or something?

The only thing in the OP's favor is that his teacher is a Skins fan. Otherwise, taking that side of the argument would just be a bridge too far.

Remember' date=' we had a 1st in the 2008 draft. We traded to the Falcons for a couple 2nds.

Falcons drafted Sam Baker, who was amazing until he got injured.

Duane Brown was also taken by Houston a few picks later than our 1st, but I haven't seen Houston play so I don't know if he's doing well or not.

Plus, there were many of us saying we needed O-Line help for years. Our O-Line is aging, and the Line is also the most important spot on the field.[/quote']

Sam Baker was considered a top 10 prospect by most draft sites/scouting reports in the fall of '06 through the fall of '07, and then had an awful season last full. I wish we'd take advantage of opportunities like that. He would have been a great signing, we could already have a stud in place for Jansen.

I think it's pretty obvious we are going to be acquiring new linemen this coming offseason. Even Vinny's not that stupid.

However, I just hope they don't do something even stupider and more obscure... Like drafting three Centers. Or drafting three Offensive Tackles. Or mortgaging our future on one DE draft pick.

I think it's pretty obvious we are going to be acquiring new linemen this coming offseason. Even Vinny's not that stupid.

However, I just hope they don't do something even stupider and more obscure... Like drafting three Centers. Or drafting three Offensive Tackles. Or mortgaging our future on one DE draft pick.

lmao!

It's funny when you get OWNED by a Ravens team whose skill position players were a rookie QB from Delaware, a 3rd string journeyman RB, and an unheralded group of WRs, all because their OL and DL absolutely decimated us a tthe line of scrimmage. We fans have BEGGED Snyderato to address the OL/DL for nearly a decade, to absolutely no avail, and this is the end result. All of your flashy, jersey selling picks don't mean squat with these vapid offensive and defensive lines.

Please resign, ASAP

Me too. Taking the side that the Skins have NOT ignored the lines? :wtf: Is this guy some kind of masochist or something?

The only thing in the OP's favor is that his teacher is a Skins fan. Otherwise, taking that side of the argument would just be a bridge too far.

Did I say I was taking the side of not ignoring the lines?

I'm saying, that looking at the draft history (and good call to the guy who said not 1999 and 2001), but its easy to see that we will have to draft lines this coming year.

It's not a research/history paper, it's a research paper which I extrapolate into making a future prediction.

Thanks for all the discussion guys, I got some more to write/update and I'll definately post back (after the horrendous OL play today)

As for chipwich and yusuf - thanks for understanding my paper fellas.

I think that drafting on the lines is absolutely necessary this year.

If it came to the O-Line, I'd love a shot at Michael Oher, but I realize we'd mortgage the draft to get him, Herman Johnson is intriguing as well, in the first round. I would like to get a steal like Sean Sester out of Purdue, but we gave up our #2 for Jason Taylor. The other problem is on the D-Line, I want Peria Jerry on this team, he can be a difference maker on our front four.

Archived