Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Scrapple Thread

SteveFromYellowstone

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

It's been described to me as "the parts of the pig that were rejected as not good enough to be in a hot dog". :)

I always thought it was a Philly thing.

Like I said........everything from the heel to the squeal. Whatever is leftover from sausage is used to make scrapple.

From wikipedia:

Scrapple is a savory mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour. The mush is formed into a loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then fried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, arguably too disgusting to be used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste. Scrapple is best known as a regional food of the Eastern Shore of Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and the rest of Maryland.

Scrapple is arguably the first pork food invented in America. The culinary ancestor of scrapple was the Low German dish called Panhas, which was adapted to make use of locally available ingredients. The first recipes were created more than two hundred years ago by German colonists who settled near Philadelphia and Chester County, Pennsylvania in the 17th and 18th centuries[1].

A similar food, pawn haas or pon haus -- a term hailing back to the old German dish -- contains no meat but is made of seasoned corn meal soaked in the broth left over after the pork is removed to make the pudding. It can be found in most supermarkets throughout the region in both fresh and frozen refrigerated cases. It can sometimes be found in frozen form in cities as far away as Los Angeles.

Not sure where that earlier comment about "slave food" came from...

I LOVE scrapple. Plan on having some for breakfast in the morning.

Definately a regional thing. It is pretty big in PA.

My favorite store bought brand is Rapa, but I had the opportunity to eat home made scrapple in PA last year. That was excellent. It is all about the spices used!

I suggest everyone try it once. Close your eyes if you have to, just savor the taste.

in the heirarchy of breakfast sides i dont see any place for it

ive never had it and hadnt heard of it but googled and ive eaten pretty gross things but it just looks dull

anyways here in the dc area i never see taylor ham anywhere, i think i actually asked for taylor ham once and the people looked at me like i was an idiot

is that a regional thing (jersey) as well? i want some taylor ham now

If you don't know RAPA you don't live in an area known for scrapple.

Scrapple is excellent if cooked correctly.

And it is nothing like spam.

A friend of mines dad works for Rapa. I actually prefer Delaware Maid to Rapa.

But with that being said, when I was little, my grandfather used to raise and slaughter pigs, and no store-bought scrapple (or sausage, or bacon, or pork chops for that matter) will ever be as good as "home-made".

I know I'll catch hell for it on this board(especially if Xameil sees this) but

Scrapple >>>> Bacon!

It's what God has for breakfast.

I could eat a Scrapple, egg and cheese sammich for breakfast every day for the rest of my life and die a happy man.

I grew up in Calvert county and old Miss Myrtle down the road used to make scrapple whenever her husband would butcher a hog and to this day I've still never had better.

just b/c you may not have known it, doesn't mean you haven't eaten worse, you have ;)

lol no ive known and i have...

thats why i cant hate on it lol if you grew up on something you dont really care whats in it

now trying it for the first time knowing whats in it? haha different story

Archived