Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Laron Landry dissapointing to watch

Lavarleap56

Some of you don't really appreciate inside information when it's presented to you. Read between the lines.

More importantly, read carefully. The OP is not saying that Landry is not good enough to play, or doesn't have the potential, etc.

exactly!! thank you zoony. Laron does have all the physical gifts to be great at his position there is no denying that and his talent level isnt being questioned at all but in the NFL talent will only take you so far. Laron will never be Sean Taylor or anything close to him i agree with that 100% and am not even comparring the two in regards to there on the field play. Sean Taylor once told Rock Cartwright " you might not be the biggest or the fastest player but never let anyone out work you"

This post was made due to months of frustrations not a knee jerk reaction to one game. To the posters who claim Laron is doing great at what he is being asked to do what do you have to back that up?? has Laron played his role soundly at times at deep center yes he has but he is not playing great. Sean missed tackles yes but he missed them with all out effort and missed tackles do happen. Laron is missing them cause he is throwing fundamentals out the window and going for kill shots and thats not him at this stage in his career. Laron was great at LSU because he made the plays that were there and when the opportunity arose and he was in position to go for the kill shot he would but not at risk of not making the tackle all together.

During his rookie season he was very quiet honestly until the passing of Sean and when he went to FS stayed sound in his techniques and played within himself and began to excel at the deep FS role. Fast forward to this season and honestly i can say this as fact during the offseason he didn't train like he should have and stayed away from Redskins Park unlike in his rookie season with Williams when Laron attended the conditioning program, weight training , all of the OTA and mini camps.

The result of all the above is that he came into training camp after rushing to get in better shape and over worked himself in a short amount of time and as a result the hamstring injury/groin that kept him out all of training camp and pre-season.

If laron can get back to that workman frame of mind he had coming into his rookie year he will begin to excel again but the longer he keeps hearing how great he is when in reality he has been average through id say 20/29 games into his career he will continue to be average and we as fans will watch a stud of a prospect be just another player that had all the talent but fell way short of expectations.

exactly!!

This post was made due to months of frustrations not a knee jerk reaction to one game.

Laron is missing them cause he is throwing fundamentals out the window and going for kill shots and thats not him at this stage in his career. Laron was great at LSU because he made the plays that were there and when the opportunity arose and he was in position to go for the kill shot he would but not at risk of not making the tackle all together.

Fast forward to this season and honestly i can say this as fact during the offseason he didn't train like he should have and stayed away from Redskins Park unlike in his rookie season with Williams when Laron attended the conditioning program, weight training , all of the OTA and mini camps.

The result of all the above is that he came into training camp after rushing to get in better shape and over worked himself in a short amount of time and as a result the hamstring injury/groin that kept him out all of training camp and pre-season.

If laron can get back to that workman frame of mind he had coming into his rookie year he will begin to excel again

^^^ that is very telling, the whole post was on point if all of what you say is true. didnt want to quote the whole thing.

If Laron had to make the stop on the RB, there is something wrong with our D line.

Laron is amazing but he can't be everywhere. He is just not Sean Taylor.

:applause: My Lord what more DO people expect? Be glad he's back there with Horton instead of Reed Doughty or else Redskins Nation really would be ****in'.

Sean Taylor DIDN'T light it up every play every series every game either SO STOP PUTTING UNDO PRESSURE on a talented guy alot of defensive cordinators would LOVE to have in their backfield.

DO YOU Dirty 30:2cents:

LOL you know football??? dude we have to have one of the best secondaries hands down... but it doesnt matter how good they are since a defense is only as good as its weakest link our weak link happens to be our DLINE if you dont get pressure on a professional qb he will destroy you a secondary can only cover receivers for so long....if we would just get SOME pressure our secondary would look amazing.

I love this post. My buddies and i were watching the game and counting how long eli sat in the pocket... avg. 7 to 9 sec. That is the worst pass rush i have ever seen. There is no secondary in the NFL that can keep coverage that long. And most teams leave 2 safties back, we on the other hand use HH to help our sorry ass D-line stop the run. Those who are hateing on LL should watch the run again, LL yes made a horrible attempt at a tackle but HH missed as well. Yes on the same play.

Last year our D-line played better, were coached better, and look what happened... ST was having his best season and when he pasted LL picked up his game and played like he had been there for years.

Need proof? Troy Polamalu leads the league in INT's. PIT also has two players in the top 5 for sacks. We dont have anyone in the 40. LF is our leading tackler with 100, next is RM with 69, and HH with 62. No one on our D-line has more than 28(AC). By the way LL who is supposed to be in deep pass coverage has 52, followed by all the rest of the secondary and LB's. So before you start ****in check your facts.

Wow, I saw this post yesterday and didn't really believe it until now. I just saw ESPN's segment of come on' man. Guest who was on it, Laron Landry:doh:They showed Jacobs truck him in week one, then they showed the play yesterday. It happened the same way, Jacobs runnning full speed towards him and he dove down like a punk:doh:I was shocked, I couldn't believe it. I am really disappointed right now. If I hear another ST comparison i'm gonna explode. ST would never have done that.

exactly!! thank you zoony. Laron does have all the physical gifts to be great at his position there is no denying that and his talent level isnt being questioned at all but in the NFL talent will only take you so far. Laron will never be Sean Taylor or anything close to him i agree with that 100% and am not even comparring the two in regards to there on the field play. Sean Taylor once told Rock Cartwright " you might not be the biggest or the fastest player but never let anyone out work you"

This post was made due to months of frustrations not a knee jerk reaction to one game. To the posters who claim Laron is doing great at what he is being asked to do what do you have to back that up?? has Laron played his role soundly at times at deep center yes he has but he is not playing great. Sean missed tackles yes but he missed them with all out effort and missed tackles do happen. Laron is missing them cause he is throwing fundamentals out the window and going for kill shots and thats not him at this stage in his career. Laron was great at LSU because he made the plays that were there and when the opportunity arose and he was in position to go for the kill shot he would but not at risk of not making the tackle all together.

During his rookie season he was very quiet honestly until the passing of Sean and when he went to FS stayed sound in his techniques and played within himself and began to excel at the deep FS role. Fast forward to this season and honestly i can say this as fact during the offseason he didn't train like he should have and stayed away from Redskins Park unlike in his rookie season with Williams when Laron attended the conditioning program, weight training , all of the OTA and mini camps.

If laron can get back to that workman frame of mind he had coming into his rookie year he will begin to excel again but the longer he keeps hearing how great he is when in reality he has been average through id say 20/29 games into his career he will continue to be average and we as fans will watch a stud of a prospect be just another player that had all the talent but fell way short of expectations.

and say LL actually did get back to the shape you think he can get back to...how will that affect our D LINE play?? it wont and no matter how good LL is physically if our dline cant get pressure on a qb then all of our secondary will look bad no matter whose back there clearly d line is the major issue on defense but nobody seems to make a specific thread about them why do we have to go around bashing LL a 2nd year safety when we have veterans who are not producing at all....not to mention in ST's second year i know there were at least 8-10 posts talking about some of the same issues ppl are having with LL will LL be as good as ST?? probably not but i think he will be a damn good safety.

Landry bailed on that tackle , no excuse there if he is the hit machine he thinks he is. I had to laugh when he thought he crushed a receiver on a pass only to look up and see the dude had caught it. I think Landry is a very good player, not worth the #6 pick overall and not really a difference maker, I thought he would have at least 1 big play in this game and he was just a ghost out there.

and say LL actually did get back to the shape you think he can get back to...how will that affect our D LINE play?? it wont and no matter how good LL is physically if our dline cant get pressure on a qb then all of our secondary will look bad no matter whose back there clearly d line is the major issue on defense but nobody seems to make a specific thread about them why do we have to go around bashing LL a 2nd year safety when we have veterans who are not producing at all....not to mention in ST's second year i know there were at least 8-10 posts talking about some of the same issues ppl are having with LL will LL be as good as ST?? probably not but i think he will be a damn good safety.

:doh::doh:

this isnt about how his play is affected by the lack of dline pressure on the QB. This thread is about his all around game to this point, does pressure from the dline affect his effort level on the field?? does dline pressure affect his tackling habits?? does dline pressure affect how he works to get himself ready for the season?? the answers to all of the above questions are no so stop making excuses for the dude.

no that was ward, cant fnd it online to post it. was jacobs biggest gain of the day i think, he gets through the line and it almost looked like a identical setup to howhe got ran over to open the season but this time larons just hits the ground and jacobs steped around him. he was in position to attenot a tackle and instead if going for contact he hit the turf i guess hoping jacobs would trip over him.

If you watch the play in slow motion you will see that Landry over pursued, Jacobs cut it back inside and Landrys momentum took him right out of the play. While I am sure he was not looking forward to having to tackle that beast but I do not believe he took a dive for a second.

If you watch the play in slow motion you will see that Landry over pursued, Jacobs cut it back inside and Landrys momentum took him right out of the play. While I am sure he was not looking forward to having to tackle that beast but I do not believe he took a dive for a second.

Lavarleap56 is right. I just watched the play numerous times, the setup was the same from the first game. This time Laron ducked down on da ground like a little ******. Sad but true. I hate to ammit it but thats what I saw. I'm a huge laron fan, but I'm very disapointed right now. At least in the first game he Manned up, went for the tackle and got trucked, so what, who cares it happens to the best of us. I can respect that. That is better then ducking out the way like he did last night.

I swear he's injured. Not just this game, but in previous games he's shied away from contact. I really wish I could get that slo-mo replay right before they cut to commercial where Hines Ward caught the ball at the Redskins 1. Carlos Rogers latches on and the two are in an epic struggle and then London Fletcher comes in and the two of them work together to bring Ward down short of the goal line. Meanwhile, Laron Landry is standing there watching.

I recall seeing that....Dallas?? damn, can't remember, but it was early in the season and he totally stopped, didn't even try to tackle. I've really held my breath on LL this year and trying not to complain on him...but it's getting to be repetitious.

The problem is Landry doesn't strike fear in an offense yet. Teams & Players were SCARED of Sean Taylor. Whether it was a big hit he could deliver, or being able to run across the entire field to make an INT. Taylor stuck fear in opposing offenses.

Landry is solid, but he doesn't strike fear in anyone yet.

Maybe riding the bench for a week will let him know that we like our safeties to hit people.

Safeties avoiding contact? Great.

Next we can have receivers avoiding catching, and our RBs afraid to carry the ball.

Ride the bench Landry. If you decide you want to play again....let us know.

If not? Hope you enjoy Detroit in the winter.

:2cents:

I don't even understand why LL30 tries to lay people out all the time because he really can't do it. He isn;t a killer hitter and he is trying to be something he is not. On Sunday he hit Toomer with his best shot who immediately jumped up to celebrate his first down catch. It was ridiculous, he wasn't on the ground for even 2 seconds after Laron's best.

I don't even understand why LL30 tries to lay people out all the time because he really can't do it. He isn;t a killer hitter and he is trying to be something he is not. On Sunday he hit Toomer with his best shot who immediately jumped up to celebrate his first down catch. It was ridiculous, he wasn't on the ground for even 2 seconds after Laron's best.

Agree, Laron isnt a big hitter and hasnt been since he came into the league his biggest hits have been on defenseless receivers while they were airborne or on a qb other than that he just bounces off or is ineffective.

Good god, Jacobs outweighs him by 50 pounds. He wasn't the reason we lost. And I know some (or alot) of people in here won't agree with me, but Sean wussed out big time in the overtime loss to the Rams a few years ago when Steven Jackson burst up the middle. He pulled up. All players do at some point. We need to stop these comparisons with Taylor. Landry is a different type of player and you guys are going to run him out on a rail because he doesn't play like Sean? You guys are something else sometimes.

Agree, Laron isnt a big hitter and hasnt been since he came into the league his biggest hits have been on defenseless receivers while they were airborne or on a qb other than that he just bounces off or is ineffective.

Toomer popped right up NO PROBLEMS

Relax guys, Sean wasn't a total player until his fourth year in the league. I remember the board bashing him constantly until he stepped it up in his last year. Give the kid some time to develop. We are kind of taking him for granted because he stepped in right away and contributed from day one.

Archived