Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Laron Landry dissapointing to watch

Lavarleap56

So many were so quick to dub this guy a beast or top safety when he's only had possibly a handful of good plays since being in the NFL. All he is right now is POTENTIAL. Right now, all I can think is that Sean made him look better than he was or really is...

He's has not been good this season at all and he was out for all of pre-season, which I'm sure didn't help him as a young player.

This is exactly how I feel. LL30 is a straight up top ten pick disappointment at this point in his career. He talks a lot of trash on the field without backing it up as well. Although I firmly believe he is a SS and not a FS. I want my $280 back I spent on his authentic jersey when I was brainwashed and blind like some of the rest of us about him.

Yes...less bench laron....wow ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?! ST missed a lot of tackles his 2nd season to....LL is still just in his second season what do you expect him to be a SUPER STAR already???? without him i bet we lose the seahawks game...hes been very good for us 90 percent of the time you cant be serious when you start a thread like this....

dude no offense but you just have no idea what happens behind the scenes with laron.

Landry is a great talent who can not be utilized properly because the pass rush sucks so bad. You're not gunna be able to make very many plays in the secondary when the opposing QB has 10 seconds to throw. Doesn't help to start every play 50 yards behind the LoS either. No he's not Sean Taylor, but Taylor was a gift and a once in a lifetime type athlete. Even then, Taylor didn't truly blossom until his fourth season. Lets not go crazy. One of the last guys on the team I'm worried about is Dirty Thirty.

while i don't agree that laron has been terrible, he has been great at what the coaches are asking him to do, I do admit i expected to see more playmaking from him. I just think thats part of a sophmore slump. I'm just getting annoyed because i live in ny and one of my good friends is a giant fan and always tells me how much better Kenny Phillips is than Landry. :doh:

Yes I do

:doh:

Oh please, tell us about your inside sources.

Laron Landry has been a disappointment to me this year.

He misses tackles all the time, please watch the game and look for #30, he's consistently late and when he gets there on time he's most likely completely whiffing.

Yes, he's stopped the long pass in a few cases and guys aren't really willing to throw near where he is but he's dropped a few INTs, and the pick against the Seahawks was a gift from Hasselback.

I'm not liking what I'm seeing from him, he seems to be all talk and little substance. I don't want him talking **** to Toomer or anyone when we're getting embarrassed on the field and he's doing little to help out.

Forgive Landry for not being better than Taylor.

Landry is still as good, if not better, than Polomalu, Sanders, and Reed. He's more athletic and physically gifted than all of them, and has the same mentality as Sanders.

Bob Sanders has only one INT this season, and no picks or FF. Want to know why? Because he's playing the same Safety Blanket role as Landry. His job is to avoid big gains through the air at all costs. Watch a Colts game some time, and tell me how many deep balls they give up. When they do, its because Sanders isn't around the ball because he to pick up slack somewhere else.

Both of them are also tremendous in run support. Hell, Sanders has almost HALF as many tackles as Landry does, but people still say Landry is mediocre in run support.

The fact is, Landry went from playing a glorious role last season, to doing dirty work this season. He can't help it if his job requires him to do things that don't show up on stat sheets.

];5884222']Landry is still as good' date=' if not better, than Polomalu, Sanders, and Reed. He's more athletic and physically gifted than all of them, and has the same mentality as Sanders.[/quote']

I want Landry to be the best safety in the league as much as the next guy... and especially for Redskins fans this is a sensitive topic because we lost our Polomalu, Sanders, and Reed.... but, Landry has a ways to go. I don't think he has played as bad this year as some people on here think, but yesterday was pretty awful.

];5884222']Bob Sanders has only one INT this season' date=' and no picks or FF. Want to know why? [/quote']

Actually, he's been injured for most of the year (4 games total).

this is getting out of hand...our defense as a whole is overrated and im sorry but you CANNOT put the blame on landry...our Defensive line is attrocious and our outside backers are sub par to average at best...we are lucky that our secondary has not given up more points this season and to all you idiots comparing him to ed reed or polamalu LOOK AT THOSE DEFENSES AS A WHOLE...THEY ARE GOOD DEFENSES AS A WHOLE our defense IS NOT GOOD as a whole so please everyone get off Landrys back....

Some of you don't really appreciate inside information when it's presented to you. Read between the lines.

More importantly, read carefully. The OP is not saying that Landry is not good enough to play, or doesn't have the potential, etc.

You can't expect him to do everything. If he is 5 yards from the LOS or even 10, trying to disguise a blitz like he's told, and then sprints back to his safety spot 10 or so more yards away, he has to then read the deep man and go to that side, then see if it is a run.

If it is, He can't just run his ass over there because he could lose containment on the play, then he has to not get blocked as he is getting to the ball carrier and then attempt a tackle.

That is really hard to do, especially when your front 7 isn't tackling well and then much responsibility falls on you in a short 3 or so seconds.

Granted, most times he is 20 yards deep from the LOS without trying to disguise a blitz or coverage, but it is relatively the same thing.

Furthermore, he is not ST. He was an absolute FREAK of an athlete, and it even took him 4 years to become a super star.

Of all the things we could pick on our defense about, Landry is right up there with Fletcher on the thing we don't need to worry about.

this is getting out of hand...our defense as a whole is overrated and im sorry but you CANNOT put the blame on landry...our Defensive line is attrocious and our outside backers are sub par to average at best...we are lucky that our secondary has not given up more points this season and to all you idiots comparing him to ed reed or polamalu LOOK AT THOSE DEFENSES AS A WHOLE...THEY ARE GOOD DEFENSES AS A WHOLE our defense IS NOT GOOD as a whole so please everyone get off Landrys back....

AS A WHOLE our defense is top 5...AS A WHOLE. Our line is our weekest link on the D, but AS A WHOLE, we are what we are, which is number 5 in the NFL--that ranking ranks WHOLE DEFENSES, not just part of it. TOP 5 in the NFL is pretty damn good AS A WHOLE, don't you think.

Landry is doing just fine...He's getting outplayed by the other safty on our team, but that might be shceme more than anything

Laron looked on that play like he was deffinetly worried about getting trucked on that play. But he also looked like he was the the last line of defense on that play and probably worried about letting Jacobs blow him up and then score a touchdown. Now as far as the rest of his play I would give him about a B- because he is in on most of the plays but there is some that he seems to be in the wrong position to either make the interception, deflection, or tackle to stop the play dead. I credit some of this stuff to our problems with the D-line not being able to get any pressure on opposing quarterbacks.:D

];5884222']Forgive Landry for not being better than Taylor.

Landry is still as good' date=' if not better, than Polomalu, Sanders, and Reed. He's more athletic and physically gifted than all of them, and has the same mentality as Sanders.

Bob Sanders has only one INT this season, and no picks or FF. Want to know why? Because he's playing the same Safety Blanket role as Landry. His job is to avoid big gains through the air at all costs. Watch a Colts game some time, and tell me how many deep balls they give up. When they do, its because Sanders isn't around the ball because he to pick up slack somewhere else.

Both of them are also tremendous in run support. Hell, Sanders has almost HALF as many tackles as Landry does, but people still say Landry is mediocre in run support.

The fact is, Landry went from playing a glorious role last season, to doing dirty work this season. He can't help it if his job requires him to do things that don't show up on stat sheets.[/quote']

Ask 32 NFL GM's who they would rather have and you'll get 32 responses that have Landry in the 3rd or last spot of the Safeties you mentioned. Matter of fact, It's safe to say the majority would have Landry as the 4th our of those four in a heart beat. FYI - If you actually knew, you'd know that Bob Sanders' stats are screwed this year because he's only played 4....YES FOUR...games this year. He also plays SS in a cover 2 scheme, which is different then what the 'Skins play. Not bashing you, but showing that it's a terrible comparison. As for what position Landry is playing...he's playing Sean's old spot and Sean surely didn't have trouble putting up stats in that role. Of course, he's not Sean and isn't near the quality as him either.

Time for the B&G glasses to come off Point being, Landry has done NOTHING, but make a handful of plays in his short insignificant career. Maybe his career will become significant, but at this time it's more hype than production.

Some of you don't really appreciate inside information when it's presented to you. Read between the lines.

More importantly, read carefully. The OP is not saying that Landry is not good enough to play, or doesn't have the potential, etc.

Absolutely.

He's in his second year, and the center-field type safety position is a very difficult one to play.

I'm not saying he's bad, or even mediocre...he's a GOOD safety but he needs to obviously make some improvements.

I have a problem with him frequently missing tackles but even the great Sean Taylor was missing quite a few tackles in his first and second year.

I have no doubt in my mind that he'll be a great safety.

Archived