Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The one series that epitmozes why Campbell isn't there yet...

skinsfan93

Forgive me, I know there are a million threads on JC and the offense being ineffective. I just want to get your opinion on what I think is the true problem about Campbell and what he needs to do to ultimately become a quarterback, who not just manages an offense, but can carry it.

Towards the end of the first half, the Skins get the ball back down 10-7 with about 21 seconds on our 32 yard line. Obviously Zorn isn't willing to just kneel on the ball hoping for a couple of plays that may give us a potential field goal.

So, first play JC throws a safe pass to Cooley across the middle for 13 yards and gets us to the 45 yard line (I'm fine with this play as it prevents a costly turnover). At this point, like many of us here know, if we can get about 20 yards, we may be able to try a long field goal (no guarantee of course).

Next play JC throws another short pass to Ladell that goes incomplete. Fine, we can take one more shot since there is 11 seconds left.

HERE'S THE PLAY that frustrates me about JC. On the next play, Campbell takes a 3 step drop and looks like he is going to throw it down the middle for a decent gain. Instead, he pulls it back, feels the pressure, scrambles and tries a dump off to Ladell that goes incomplete. WHY NOT FRICKIN' THROW IT?

Sure, maybe the ball gets picked but there is no time on the clock for Seattle to get into field goal position. Maybe it could get returned for a td. Highly doubtful. And keep in mind, Seattle's defense is terrible.

I don't know if it's a lack of confidence in himself, his receivers, or something else. Campbell just doesn't take many chances and his game management has a lot to desire. I'm sure like many of you, I get frustrated with the constant check downs by JC and dumping it off. But in this situation, he should have thrown it. I'm not looking for him to be Favre-like but I just have a hard time understanding why he doesn't take more chances.

What do you guys think?

I think for every one person who agrees with you there will be one who would have said throwing the ball deep would have been stupid. So basically he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

That's pretty much what it is. If he had thrown a pick, he would have "thrown away a perfectly good opportunity to score points." If a receiver drops it, he would have been off with his accuracy.

I honestly read a post where someone tried to blame Moss' dropped Deep Ball on Campbell for not "leading him."

Jason Campbell can do no right.

You know the head coach calls the plays that are run, right?

Well it is on the QB to make good reads too. So I'm not sure how much validity your query holds. I love JC to death, but I feel at times he's been too careful with the ball. I was happy that we went deep a few times this past game, and Campbell seemed to be happy that they are doing that. So it's possible Zorn was asking him to stay safe.

In that series in question I will say it looked like JC wasn't trying to throw the ball to Betts, he was just trying to stop the clock and not lose yards. He threw it right at Betts feet, I really think he did that on purpose. On the next play, I don't know, it could have been another one of those types of things where he was just trying to see the next play and not lose yards, considering anything we did would have needed to get us out of bounds to stop the clock. So going down the middle would have been dumb. Who knows, we'll see how we start working the deep ball, and let JC let loose.

I have to agree about that series. When he dropped back he fully intended to go deep. With that little time left I say chunk it out there and give a receiver a chance to make a play. It's a combination of things. Coaching, strategy, system, confidence. Hopefully it will come together over the close of the season.

];5859388']That's pretty much what it is. If he had thrown a pick' date=' he would have "thrown away a perfectly good opportunity to score points." If a receiver drops it, he would have been off with his accuracy.

I honestly read a post where someone tried to blame Moss' dropped Deep Ball on Campbell for not "leading him."

Jason Campbell can do no right.[/quote']

It wasn't a perfectly good opportunity to score. We weren't in field goal range and we only had 11 seconds left in the half. By not throwing it, it gave us no chance to get any score.

Not throwing the ball in fear of a negative play is not playing it smart. Playing it smart is understanding the situation and making a play. In this case, playing it smart is understanding that the only way this play hurts us is if is returned for a TD. There is a much better chance of something good happening for us.

At 11 seconds JC pulls the ball back down and then hits the Seattle lineman in the hip. At the end of that play he knew he would have another shot and I'm thinking he was hoping to see something better in the way of odds of the ball being caught. At 3 seconds he does go deep to Thrash and Thrash almost makes a what would have been a great catch at the 1 yd line.

I don't know if it's a lack of confidence in himself, his receivers, or something else. Campbell just doesn't take many chances and his game management has a lot to desire. I'm sure like many of you, I get frustrated with the constant check downs by JC and dumping it off. But in this situation, he should have thrown it. I'm not looking for him to be Favre-like but I just have a hard time understanding why he doesn't take more chances.

It is obvious that Jason Campbell doesn't have the balls to be an NFL quarterback.

It also gave us a chance to go out with something positive... ball control. Had he just "chunked it"... what if it was picked? Hell... Seattle may have been able to run one back for a pick 6. I dont know... nobody does. Just be happy we have a starting QB with 3 picks in 12 games.

Mere is my take. He was looking for an all or nothing. There was no time on the clock... and I am betting his hot read was covered enough to nopt make that play. Maybe it was in the middle of the field. JC could have hit his open man and that guy may have been tackled right away... Big gain... no time.. no points anyway. end result was the same.

Dont worry guys... the TD's will come. Especially if the protection holds up.

it also gave us a chance to go out with something positive... Ball control. Had he just "chunked it"... What if it was picked? Hell... Seattle may have been able to run one back for a pick 6. I dont know... Nobody does. Just be happy we have a starting qb with 3 picks in 12 games.

Mere is my take. He was looking for an all or nothing. There was no time on the clock... And i am betting his hot read was covered enough to nopt make that play. Maybe it was in the middle of the field. Jc could have hit his open man and that guy may have been tackled right away... Big gain... No time.. No points anyway. End result was the same.

Dont worry guys... The td's will come. Especially if the protection holds up.

zero risk = zero reward

It also gave us a chance to go out with something positive... ball control. Had he just "chunked it"... what if it was picked? Hell... Seattle may have been able to run one back for a pick 6. I dont know... nobody does. Just be happy we have a starting QB with 3 picks in 12 games.

Mere is my take. He was looking for an all or nothing. There was no time on the clock... and I am betting his hot read was covered enough to nopt make that play. Maybe it was in the middle of the field. JC could have hit his open man and that guy may have been tackled right away... Big gain... no time.. no points anyway. end result was the same.

Dont worry guys... the TD's will come. Especially if the protection holds up.

We still had a timeout left you *****! :doh:

It is obvious that Jason Campbell doesn't have the balls to be an NFL quarterback.

That's ridiculous. He's been thrown around like a rag doll the last several games. Lamar Woodley was fined $10,000 for picking JC up and slamming to the ground like it was a WWF wrestling match. He's stayed in the pocket and taken every hit and probably could have avoided several if he was a gunslinger and not careful with his throws.

That's ridiculous. He's been thrown around like a rag doll the last several games. Lamar Woodley was fined $10,000 for picking JC up and slamming to the ground like it was a WWF wrestling match. He's stayed in the pocket and taken every hit and probably could have avoided several if he was a gunslinger and not careful with his throws.

And he still lacks the balls to throw the ball down the field.

Archived