Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Continue To Under Perform Game Stats

bulldog

7-4 is 7-4. Let me get that out of the way before I get creamed here. But, not trying to sound too much like Riggo here, how come a team that dominates time of possession, has a running back that goes for 143 yards and a quarterback that doesn't throw a pick..........and can barely separate once again from a team way below .500?

I was really hoping we were going to start to see the second half 'push' that Jim Zorn talked about in handicapping teams that were likely to separate themselves from the pack and go to the playoffs by bearing down and showing that extra 5-10%.

We will see how long it goes, but I don't see that extra 5-10% with this team.

And it's a shame because during the game individual players are making clutch plays that are in the end meaningful, it just never seems to translate into the momentum where we don't have to watch the the scoreboard at the end of the fourth quarter with a lot of anxiety.

I don't think you should be "creamed" for this, it's a very valid concern. Of course I am happy to have won this game, but we have far too major plays confined to stalled drives. It sucks to march down the field then have to kick a field goal or punt.

I'll take the win, but it's a major concern when we dominate the stats yet only win by a few..

Our passing game is a mess, that's why. We never aim past the marker, our only weapons are Moss and Cooley (only one of them being a true deep threat), our pass blocking is awful, and the system itself is a handicap.

The running game and defense is great, and we're winning football games. That'll keep me quiet for the time being. But make no mistake, with a great passing game, we would have no problems at all.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Seattle beats Dallas on Thursday. I doubt it, but Seattle's a much better team right now than their record indicates. I knew this game would be tough.

We still need to put up more points though. We can dominate a game on paper, but only win by 3 points.

I think it's the WCO. There's not many "homerun" plays. We don't have a playbook full of 35 or 40 yard plays. So, it then becomes if you can break one. Most NFL defenses can stop a guy from turning a 10 yard catch into a 60 yard TD. Add that to the fact that Moss is the only break away receiver we have and you get our offense.

We need to look for deeper throws. We need a mindset of knocking someone out.

To me it's simply execution, specifically in the red zone. I think the scheme is sound, I think the players are good, however, we just have a knack for making a mistake at critical times. We drive from 20 to 20 and then miss a block, have a formation penalty, drop a pass, misfire a throw. It's never like it's one guy, all game making mistakes. They all take turns, they just have a knack for someone making an error when it's critical to getting points.

What happens if Yoder doesn't get beat on 3rd and 3 for the sack, down near the Sea 30 on the second drive? We have another TD if Sellers doesn't drop that ball on 3rd down, around the goal line.....a ball he almost always catches. What happens if Tana doesn't decide to swing at the CB, putting us in a 2nd and 23 down in the red zone? Another 3rd down, Jansen got pushed too far back causing the pass to get batted down on a makeable 3rd and 4. Someone missed a block on a run to the left on 1st and 10 at the Sea 30 putting us in 2nd and 11 after being in good 2nd and 3rd down situations the entire rest of the field up to that point.

So again, good scheme, good players, they just have to stop taking turns having lapses in concentration at the wrong times. It's always at the critical time. I'm not complaining, we're 7-4 and we won but it's something that will prevent us from beating good teams. There's so much promise there, we should've blown this team out today with 40 points. It was right there at their fingertips. A missed block here, dropped pass there, splash in some stupid penalties and that's what holding us back from truly being one of the best and most complete teams in the league. If our offense can simply clean up the mental mistakes, we're one of the better teams in the league in both facets of the game on both sides of the ball. :2cents:

To me it's simply execution, specifically in the red zone. I think the scheme is sound, I think the players are good, however, we just have a knack for making a mistake at critical times. We drive from 20 to 20 and then miss a block, have a formation penalty, drop a pass, misfire a throw. It's never like it's one guy, all game making mistakes. They all take turns, they just have a knack for someone making an error when it's critical to getting points.

What happens if Yoder doesn't get beat on 3rd and 3 for the sack, down near the Sea 30 on the second drive? We have another TD if Sellers doesn't drop that ball on 3rd down, around the goal line.....a ball he almost always catches. What happens if Tana doesn't decide to swing at the CB, putting us in a 2nd and 23 down in the red zone? Another 3rd down, Jansen got pushed too far back causing the pass to get batted down on a makeable 3rd and 4. Someone missed a block on a run to the left on 1st and 10 at the Sea 30 putting us in 2nd and 11 after being in good 2nd and 3rd down situations the entire rest of the field up to that point.

So again, good scheme, good players, they just have to stop taking turns having lapses in concentration at the wrong times. It's always at the critical time. I'm not complaining, we're 7-4 and we won but it's something that will prevent us from beating good teams. There's so much promise there, we should've blown this team out today with 40 points. It was right there at their fingertips. A missed block here, dropped pass there, splash in some stupid penalties and that's what holding us back from truly being one of the best and most complete teams in the league. If our offense can simply clean up the mental mistakes, we're one of the better teams in the league in both facets of the game on both sides of the ball. :2cents:

I agree. It's execution. The plays are there to be made, we just need to execute.

As for always at a critical time... well, when you are always within a field goal of you opponent, the whole game is a "critical time" for this team.

Our passing game is a mess, that's why. We never aim past the marker, our only weapons are Moss and Cooley (only one of them being a true deep threat), our pass blocking is awful, and the system itself is a handicap.

The running game and defense is great, and we're winning football games. That'll keep me quiet for the time being. But make no mistake, with a great passing game, we would have no problems at all.

hmmmm...you have to be able to pass block first.

3rd and 6 inches at the 4..score tied 17 all...3rd down pass is only good if you planning on going on 4th down...there is no way you kick there...I would have run it twice...if you can't get 6 inches on 2 downs...you don't deserve to win...and if somehow they stop you..they got 96 yards to go...chances of scoring TD on 90 yards plus drive is under 10%.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Seattle beats Dallas on Thursday. I doubt it, but Seattle's a much better team right now than their record indicates. I knew this game would be tough.

We still need to put up more points though. We can dominate a game on paper, but only win by 3 points.

It is not about dominating on paper. It is about dominating in all the statistical areas and barely pull out a win. We dominatated them, we dominated St. Louis. We dominated the browns. We dominated the Cowboys in Dallas. Those are games we should have put up some huge wins, but either barely sqeeked it out or we lost at the last minute.

I also think Seattle is better than their record, and could upset Dallas.

Bulldog, this is a very, very VALID thread. Like you said, we are all DELIGHTED to get this road win. Seattle is one of the 3 or 4 toughest places to play. Hail to the Redskins! Folks, I have bashed people for complaining about a win, so I don't wanna come off as a complainer. That being said, here's why the Skins are struggling (even against weak teams) ......THEY DON'T SCORE ENOUGH POINTS. Averaging 16 to 20 points per game won't get a team into the playoffs. Jason Campbell's conversion rate on third down (where a pass play is called) lately is awful. (sorry Campbell lovers, but at the end of the day, it's the QB who is most responsible for generating TDs on the scoreboard) The Skins also really need a WR to step up to compliment Santana Moss, and more pressure on the opposing QB would make a big difference as well.

3rd and 6 inches at the 4..score tied 17 all...3rd down pass is only good if you planning on going on 4th down...there is no way you kick there...I would have run it twice...if you can't get 6 inches on 2 downs...you don't deserve to win...and if somehow they stop you..they got 96 yards to go...chances of scoring TD on 90 yards plus drive is under 10%.

Actually, if the score was tied, they'd only need a FG to go ahead.....

But speaking of percentages, you would think a QB sneak would be all but automatic there. The play to Sellers looked OK but I still don't trust the big man to catch the ball.

People have mentioned about not executing in the Red Zone. Quick! What player on the field is most responsible for proper play execution....especially in the Red Zone? That's right....it's the team's QB. Holding the ball too long (and taking the sack, rather than throwing the ball away), not having the pocket presence to avoid the sack, passing the ball too high, passing the ball to the wrong receiver, all result in a LACK OF TDs. This leads us back to the Skins averaging less than 20 points per game, and a big reason why they are struggling even during the games that they win.

I say we are a better team in a better situation than lastyear.

Maybe they are all still feeling out some new things.

Maybe the NFL has even more parody than we understand.

Maybe we have a reason to hope for one playoof win...Cuz the day JZ was hired...Not too many folks thought we would...But we very well may.

I say we are a better team in a better situation than lastyear.

Maybe they are all still feeling out some new things.

Maybe the NFL has even more parody than we understand.

Maybe we have a reason to hope for one playoof win...Cuz the day JZ was hired...Not too many folks thought we would...But we very well may.

We could easily win a playoff game. Or we could easily not make the playoffs. The league is as mediocre as I have ever seen it.

The only thing I take great joy at this season is the GLARING lack of attention to both the offensive and defensive lines will HOPEFULLY cause vinny to actually draft some lineman with picks other than 6 or 7th rounders.

Good teams win in the trenches. Our d-line is attrocious. Our o-line is only good for running plays. Protecting the passer....attrocious.

Archived