Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Network/Warren Sapp: Jason Taylor- Benched?

Luca Brasi

"The beauty of playing the game for me has always been in being there from the first snap to the last," Taylor said. "You use those snaps to set players up, and it's tough when you come in for spot duty and you don't have a chance to set a guy up, or give a guy a bunch of speed [rushes] and then go inside. It's tough to set players up this way and get into a groove."

This is the EXACT same point that came to my mind as soon as I read the original post from the O.P. I already knew the situation and that JT was gonna be used as a situational pass-rusher bcuz Evans is doin so well. But the thing about it is that Evans is not exactly makin QB sandwiches in the opposin backfileds either.

We spent a couple draft picks on JT and took over his $8 million/yr contract.... and not for him to be "situational". I say let him do what he's been doin in this league for so long and let Evans be "situational".

Is it any coincidence that a week after our defense allows Marion Barber to run the ball 10! time in a row without stopping him, that the coaches sit Taylor? He is awful against the run... at least he is in our system.

Teams are going to load up against us and run it down our throats if we aren't careful. Taking Taylor out and putting in a bigger, better run stopper is precisely the thing to do.

It does underline yet another knee-jerk trade gone bad... but hey, who cares at this point? We have to stop the run in order to have any chance to make a post season run. With Taylor playing LDE, we have very little chance in stopping the run and that's just a fact.

Besides, with our offense being consistent only with three-and-outs, we simply cannot afford to let teams run the ball and control the clock. We literally might not score any points if our offense doesn't get plenty of cracks at the endzone. Giving up against the run is the worst thing we can do.

"The beauty of playing the game for me has always been in being there from the first snap to the last," Taylor said. "You use those snaps to set players up, and it's tough when you come in for spot duty and you don't have a chance to set a guy up, or give a guy a bunch of speed [rushes] and then go inside. It's tough to set players up this way and get into a groove."

This is the EXACT same point that came to my mind as soon as I read the original post from the O.P. I already knew the situation and that JT was gonna be used as a situational pass-rusher bcuz Evans is doin so well. But the thing about it is that Evans is not exactly makin QB sandwiches in the opposin backfileds either.

We spent a couple draft picks on JT and took over his $8 million/yr contract.... and not for him to be "situational". I say let him do what he's been doin in this league for so long and let Evans be "situational".

the situation is teams are running right at JT and running right over/around him

unless these past weeks have been all a set up for him to start making some real progress here on this team, then i think we should go with someone who has a more complete game right now.

i'm all for JT for the HoF and he most certainly will, but right now this team needs people who are going to go out there and do the best at the position and JT has not been doing as well.

the problem is we don't have an interior rush so JT's speed rushes are negated because the QB has plenty of room to step up.

no man is above winning or the team, not even JT

I was just thinking, do you think we could use Jason Taylor @ Washington's LB spot, maybe this would help with some pass rush since MW is often injured and has been pretty uneffective all year, and I really don't know if I like Blades playing on the outside. Also, due to the fact that JT isn't even starting now and is a backup to Demetric Evans!? Do you think JT would be a big disadvantage in coverage?:2cents:

Have you been watching this season? Its great and all that Taylor used to be an amazing player, but this ain't the AFC East, and he ain't 28 anymore. Unfortunately.

Hell yeah I've been watching.

I watched as he played hurt, and then he was out for a month because of a freak injury.

So now, as he's finally healthy, why aren't we even putting him in a place where he can best help the team?

I think we should use him as a hybrid linebacker. He hasn't played with his hands down a lot over the past few years. He might be better as a stand up rusher.

There have been some posts about this, and wonder if there is a possability ??

I have my doubts. JT has been a pass rusher his whole career. Which basically entails him going forward and in direct contact with the opposition.

Now he may adapt at LB against the run, but I think his coverage skills would not be an advantage. Trying to cover a TE or RB coming out of the back field would be so different from what he has been doing, that it reeks of potential failure.

Archived