Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Drinking one of my aged beers, not doing a video review because I can't find a fresh bottle of this beer to save my life. It's around 2 years old...

Saranac Brown Ale

Extremely dark mahogany color to this, looks black until you put it directly in front of a light. Beer smells exactly the same as a fresh one. Flavor is pretty much the same too: Toffee & caramel with a consistently light tone of chocolate. This beer barely matured with age. There is a metallic overtone in this you'll want to ignore, let it warm up. Pretty underwhelmed.

bc+saranac+brown+ale+glass.jpg

I finally found a decent American Pils and Corcaigh will be happy to know that it comes from Germans who emigrated to Texas. :ols: Must be the hops they use because it was plenty bitter but tasted like a pils should and tasted fresh too. I have another three pils' to try, went down to the liquor superstore in El Paso yesterday which has a much better selection than anything in my town.

Hans+Pils+Grill-2-640x429.jpg

Talk about once in a lifetime chance...

ht_thirty_bottles_of_westvleteren_XII_with_gift_packaging_thg_121212_wmain.jpg

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/worlds-best-beer-finally-available-173648182--abc-news-topstories.html

Beer aficionados are pouncing at the rare opportunity to buy one of the world's most elusive and revered beers for the first - and perhaps only - time in the United States.

It is called Westvleteren XII, and it is often hailed as the "world's best beer" by reviewers and fans.

Westvleteren XII is produced by Trappist monks in Belgium and sold at the abbey of Saint Sixtus in the Belgian countryside. The beer can usually only be purchased by reservation at the abbey - and reservations are extremely hard to come by.

But when the abbey found itself hurting for money for an expensive renovation, the monks reluctantly made the decision to sell the beer outside of the walls of the monastery on a one-time-only basis.

"I think it will be the last [time]," Westvleteren Brewery spokesman Mark Bode told NPR. "They say, 'We are monks, we don't want to be too commercial. We needed some money to help us buy the new abbey and that's it,' Back to normal again."

MORE AFTER LINK

Edited by The Evil Genius

Nice!!! is there 6 beers in that pack?

Yes, 6 11.2oz bottles. You also get two glasses as well. (the exact same glasses seen in Evil Genius' photo above)

$85. They had a limited supply at Total. I was there at 8AM when they opened (its on the way to work) and there were 3 other people there waiting to buy it too.

I plan to keep the glasses and two bottles. The other 4 bottles will be perfect Christmas gifts for my beer snob friends. :)

Edited by Southtown

Do you need my address? ;)

I hope to find that here local,but not holding my breath

A small part of me actually said "Do I really want to give these away?" when I saw the prices on ebay. Had I of known I could have easily stopped at another Total to get more. These will make great Xmas gifts though. The 4 friends I have in mind will never see it coming.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=westvleteren&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_okw=&_oexkw=&_adv=1&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

Unfortunately it does not appear that Texas was on the distribution list.

http://beerstreetjournal.com/state-by-state-westvleteren-xii-release-list/

Hoping to crack my first one when the Skins kick off the playoffs. We shall see...

(Finally figured out how to post photos. Now I can post some deliveries and graveyards)

Craft beer distribution is S Florida is still somewhat limited. I've been ordering stuff online that I can't get down here. HolidayWineCellar.com had a Cyber Monday sale where they had free shipping on everything. I ordered up this cast of characters. Haven't tried any yet. Which ones have you guys tried and what did you think of it?

deliveryaf.jpg

From left to right:

Coronado Islander IPA

Left Coast Hop Juice

The Bruery - Five Golden Rings (turns out this one I can get down here)

Firestone 16th Anniversary (can't wait to try this one)

Detour IPA

Double Shaka IPA

Hop Burn

Cold Springs IPA. 32oz can. Never seen that before outside of Fosters.

Spent last night at my favorite spot in Vermont, Worthy Burger, eating meat and drinking great beers. The Hill Farmstead Susan and Edward were, as always, especially delicious.

The Edward is my favorite Pale Ale, hoppy, well balanced, and clean. The Susan is an IPA that uses Citra, my favorite hop variety, as a late flavor/aroma addition. It's light bodied, grapefruity, tropical, and I feel like I could drink it indefinitely.

enLSe.jpg

Edited by HBnotBlades

So many choices today, but I had already spent $200 on alcohol-related presents for the family. A few really intriguing Lips of Faith collabs from New Belgium. I actually passed on them all, next time I'll buy the ones that have rave reviews. Settled on a bottle of Southern Tier Imperial Oat...still have four Flying Dog Double Dogs in the fridge.

Was thinking about popping open the Sierra Nevada/Dogfish Head collaboration I bought last year..."Life & Limb". American Strong Ale (perhaps my favorite style), brewed with maple syrup. Might let it sit for another year though.