Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Today my girl brought us home a Dogfish Head 120, a Heavy Seas The Great Pumpkin and a Heavy Seas Yule Tide. Getting ahead of myself with the Winter seasonals, but hey what the hell, can't complain. Can't wait to see that Sierra Nevada Celebration, it's always talked about, but for good reason.

Glad folks have liked the Fear. I have a couple bottles left I still need to polish off.

-How is the Heavy Seas Yule Tide?

-And other than the Celebration & Sam Adams' offerings (which I really dig too) - are there any other winter seasonals that y'all are looking forward to?

Glad folks have liked the Fear. I have a couple bottles left I still need to polish off.

-How is the Heavy Seas Yule Tide?

-And other than the Celebration & Sam Adams' offerings (which I really dig too) - are there any other winter seasonals that y'all are looking forward to?

The Yule Tide was alright, but I'm not a big fan of the Abbey Tripel style, so I'm not the one to ask. As far as other winter seasonals, there are some to mention. The Dogfish Head Chicory Stout is good, the Flying Dog K-9 Cruiser is a lot like the Sam Adams Winter Lager. Also keep an eye out for the Great Divide Hibernation Ale or Rogue Santa's Private Reserve. The thing is, what really WORKS in the winter time is having a heavy Imperial Stout to warm up the belly on a cold night. Chocolate and roasted malts next to the fireplace makes you feel extra toasty. In fact I'd rather have the Sierra Nevada Celebration on a hot summer night, but unfortunately they only release it in the winter. It's just such a good IPA that I don't really give a damn what season it is :ols:

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Best deal out there right now is the Samuel Adams Winter Classics 12 pack.

2 Boston Lagers

2 Winter Lagers

2 Holiday Porters

2 Black & Brews

2 Chocolate Bocks

2 Fezziwig Ales

Thank god Cranberry Lambic was replaced by Chocolate Bock! Btw, I love the Old Fezziwig Ale. It makes me feel like I should be sharing one with Scrooge while sitting by a roaring fire in Old London. An interesting brew. :cheers:

I need to hit up Costco for a few cases.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy cow, the Heavy Seas Mutiny Fleet Prosit! is amazing. Think an Octoberfest with an oily body. Pumpkin pie, nuts, a real nice flavor of hops, I love this beer. Might get it again for Thanksgiving dinner.

High+Seas.JPG

Also had the Flying Dog K-9 Cruiser Winter Ale. Actually a really decent amount of caramel, with bitter nuts/toast balancing it out...I enjoy the K-9 much more than I remember from the past. Good stuff!

FlyingDogK9Cruiser.jpg

Ok, I'm the first to admit when I am wrong so here goes.

I reviewed a Corona Extra some time ago and I thought it tasted like socks, tonight I was eating at a Mexican resaurant and ordered una Corona, it came with the lime and against my better judgment I squeezed the lime into the bottle and then pushed the lime into the neck....I was wrong about not fruiting the beer, with Corona by all means fruit that puppy and enjoy your order of carnitas! After my 2nd Corona I was satisfied that with Corona I was wrong and with the lime it is perfect. Yes I am still a dark beer lover but Corona won me over as well tonight.

Tonight I'm going with what I believe is the first craft beer I ever bought, the DFH Chicory Stout. #98QBKiller directed me towards this stuff. A very low alcohol stout at 5.2%. Has a light body, but the flavor is a tasty mix of coffee and bitter wood notes. Also have a Sam Adams Irish Stout and Black Lager at my disposal.

Dogfish%20Head%20Chicory%20Stout.jpg

Chicory stout was one of my first as well, but certainly not my favorite, as I recall I didn't care for the bitterness or the spice as you call it. I didn't know Sams had an Irish Stout, is it comparable to Guinness? Sams Black Lager was the first beer I really liked, my wife picked up a seasonal pack and I loved it, seriously the Black Lager was my gateway drug.

Ok, I'm the first to admit when I am wrong so here goes.

I reviewed a Corona Extra some time ago and I thought it tasted like socks, tonight I was eating at a Mexican resaurant and ordered una Corona, it came with the lime and against my better judgment I squeezed the lime into the bottle and then pushed the lime into the neck....I was wrong about not fruiting the beer, with Corona by all means fruit that puppy and enjoy your order of carnitas! After my 2nd Corona I was satisfied that with Corona I was wrong and with the lime it is perfect. Yes I am still a dark beer lover but Corona won me over as well tonight.

Anything in a clear or green bottle has a 50% chance of being skunked before you get to it. A lime will help hide that and also hope hide the lack of flavor in a Corona and make it enjoyable in the right setting.

In high school in Puerto Rico we used to drink the little bit of beer in the neck and then pour a shot of Bacardi Limon in it instead of a lime. Good stuff. Keep meaning to try that again...

while in Europe, I had the chance to taste several different beers.

my favorite would have to be Ottakringer; I could not get enough of the stuff...and sadly, they dont sell it back here :(

ottakringerbottle.jpg

others i tried:

wien12.jpg

Gosser...it was also very good.

zlaty-bazant-beer-3-big.jpg

Zlaty Bazant...Slovak beer translated to Golden Pheasant and apparently you can find it in America - I had a couple of these in Bratislava as well as some slivovica (plum brandy...also called palenka)...that stuff will knock you on your ass.

Chicory stout was one of my first as well, but certainly not my favorite, as I recall I didn't care for the bitterness or the spice as you call it. I didn't know Sams had an Irish Stout, is it comparable to Guinness? Sams Black Lager was the first beer I really liked, my wife picked up a seasonal pack and I loved it, seriously the Black Lager was my gateway drug.

I meant Irish Red, my fault. Those beers were left over from a Brewmasters mixed pack. Like 'em, not bad.