Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

^^^^ Sunday was so rough on so many levels. After the skins loss, I was in a dark place. Literally, I went to my basement and didnt turn on the lights. I actually went to work the next day red eyed and hurting but when I got there the parking lot was empty. The bosses came in an hour later, said today was optional and I optioned my ass out of there. 

Kinda bummed - I was at my beer store today and saw a can of Fruit Basket, i never heard of champion brewing in NOVA, so I didnt get it even though I was interested. Get back to office and google and now I wish I pulled the trigger. 92/100 with good write ups. Im trying to be more selective on how I spend my beer money. Spending $40 on 2 sixers and a bomber takes its toll. But I wish I pulled the trigger. 

Did pull the trigger on stone's new offering - ripper pale ale. reviews are okay, seems like a good beer for a summer day - easy drinker. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been drinking a lot of Wicked Weed's pernicious and napolean complex and Alpine's windows up lately. WW's pernicious and napolean complex are hard to come by but they taste so good. I feel like a jerk bc i cleared a store's shelf of them but alas, my stockpile is gone. 

alpine's windows up is a good piney/resiny ipa. i wish more ipas included a piney hint to it. 

Hopslam and Avery's Maharaja annual release both hit the area at the same time which sucks bc they are both heavy hitting iipas. Looking forward to drinking them but which the releases to this area were a few weeks apart. Drinking anymore than 5 or so of these guys guarantees a hangover the next morning. 

My full-circle career of beer tasting is actually looking like just a progression, and is helping me in the wallet as well.  Healthier, too.  I've put a lot of thought in to my beer drinking and it's come to this.  I flavor cheap, low-point beer on my own.  Spices, fruits, mixing and matching.  Heavy on the stuff, too.

Reasoning got even more reasonable recently.  I don't know about back home, or around the country, but here in Tulsa, OK - the price of low point beer just DROPPED a few bucks.  The most insane price drop I've seen in the beer kingdom.  30 packs were $19, now they're $15.

A bomber of the classy stuff is commonly $15.  A bomber.

I'll admit that I miss it sometimes, but I've had so many of 'em, whatever.

I can drink like crazy and end up with just a good buzz.  That's all.  Takes me too many of these suckers to get crunked.  I'm good after bout 13 of 'em.  Plus I'm using a ton of fresh fruits in them so I'm all vitamin C'd up.  I drink a bunch of water before going to bed, wake up with the lightest ****ing hangover possible.

I DID receive some craft beer as a Christmas gift this year.  Boulevard Unliftered Wheat (good), Guinness Harp Lager (had this many 'o time, yum), Guinness Draught (finally started liking this stuff after a few years of not liking it, now I love it)....and lastly a locally brewed beer (Tulsa), called "Iron Monk Stilly Wheat".  Tastes like a lighter version of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat, but this beer's carbo is out of control.  It's actually pretty good if you let it settle for 10-15 minutes.  Christ.  You could fly the cap of the bottle to the Moon if you shook it up enough.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

• 2 months later...

Lawsons Finest Sip O Sunshine is in DC. Going pretty quick, 

Apparently since the Craft Beer Conf is being held in DC this year (next week), a lot of breweries who would never have their stuff anywhere close to here send beer to the host city. 

Ive heard a couple other names but havent seen anything to the level of SOS yet. 

Hill Farmstead sent a bunch of stuff to churchkey that had hundreds of ppl in line and went real quick. 

Really excited to see what will be dropping this week. 

Heady? Zombie Dust? Will Russian River send some stuff?

Going to buy a 2 tap kegerator, it will hold one 1/2 barrel, one 1/4 barrel or two 1/6 barrels.  Since I'm paying for two taps, I figure I'd like to start out picking two 1/6 barrel kegs, imports are preferred.

I'm big into brown ales, porters and stouts (not imperial stouts though).  Any suggestions?  I might not be able to get what you recommend, depends on if the place I'm getting it from can get it or not, but I'd love some suggestions.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

Imports and dark beers .... I imagine getting kegs of imported quality beer will be very difficult. Its hard to find kegs of american dark beers as is. 

I think a small keg of Founders breakfast stout might be findable in September - Nov when it gets released. If you live in VA, I have limited experience with Total Wine but that seems like the place.

In MD, I know Perfect Pour in Columbia has kegs of quality beer for sale to public but thats about it. Im sure there are more places out there. Id def hit up the local breweries for availability. Drive out to RAR or Manor Hill or Union. In VA there are a ton of great local breweries.  

Almost all the stouts I drink are limited release bottles and mostly imperial or barrel aged. Currently I have bottles of KBS, BA singlecut and parabola. But I am lucky to find a few bottles a year of this stuff. 

I have zero experience w kegarators but Id go 1/6 for ales/pils/light beers, 1/6 stout/dark beers. That way your 2 lines stay somewhat pure. 

Outside of like heinken .. im not sure you will have much import selection but i have never looked tbh. Maybe an evil twin or mikkeller might be avail from time to time.  

Most of the imports I drink are bottles of saison/farmhouse ales. Not a big fan of trippels/quads.   

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Imports and dark beers .... I imagine getting kegs of imported quality beer will be very difficult. Its hard to find kegs of american dark beers as is. 

I think a small keg of Founders breakfast stout might be findable in September - Nov when it gets released. If you live in VA, I have limited experience with Total Wine but that seems like the place.

In MD, I know Perfect Pour in Columbia has kegs of quality beer for sale to public but thats about it. Im sure there are more places out there. Id def hit up the local breweries for availability. Drive out to RAR or Manor Hill or Union. In VA there are a ton of great local breweries.  

Almost all the stouts I drink are limited release bottles and mostly imperial or barrel aged. Currently I have bottles of KBS, BA singlecut and parabola. But I am lucky to find a few bottles a year of this stuff. 

I have zero experience w kegarators but Id go 1/6 for ales/pils/light beers, 1/6 stout/dark beers. That way your 2 lines stay somewhat pure. 

Outside of like heinken .. im not sure you will have much import selection but i have never looked tbh. Maybe an evil twin or mikkeller might be avail from time to time.  

Most of the imports I drink are bottles of saison/farmhouse ales. Not a big fan of trippels/quads.   

The place I got it from is going to set it up tomorrow at 3pm.  I tried to go with a 1/6 barrel of Highland Black Mocha Stout and a 1/6 of Foothills Torch Pilsner.  Love both of those.  Guy called me yesterday and the stout is seasonal and the pilsner is out of stock.  So I went with NoDa Coco Loco porter and Sam Adams Boston Lager.  

My plan is to eventually have them upgrade one of the taps and add an extra gas line for Guinness.  I looked at what I would need and I'd have to get a U system keg coupler, a European specialty faucet and a nitrogen/co2 mix gas canister.  It would cost me 60 for the coupler, 80 for the faucet and 100 for the empty nitrogen/co2 canister.  $35 to fill the gas.  With tax it came out to around $270-280.  

They can upgrade it for $300 and will come out to my house and do it.  I just have to wait a while since I'm dropping a lot of $$$ right now.  So hopefully, next year I'll have Guinness and Woodchuck on tap at home and can enjoy some snake bites.

As far as variety, tons man.  The master list of kegs they have is 9 pages.  Not everything is available in a 1/6 barrel though, that is the only thing.  But he said anything that is distributed in NC, they can get as long as its not out of season or out of stock.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

As far as variety, tons man.  The master list of kegs they have is 9 pages.  Not everything is available in a 1/6 barrel though, that is the only thing.  But he said anything that is distributed in NC, they can get as long as its not out of season or out of stock.  

Can you post their website? that sounds like a fun read. 

22 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Sorry for the late response, I read your reply yesterday on my phone sitting in a drive-thru at Jimmy Johns then forgot to post a link when I got home.

https://www.customhomepubs.com/kegs-kegerators/keg-price-list/

Wow .. Wicked Weed selections. Freak of nature is a really good dipa, expensive it is 6.99 for a 16 oz bottle up here. leutant dank was really good, resiny. hop burglar was good as well, i think it is blood orange pale ale but the blood orange was very mellow and not full front. WW's sours and stouts are awesome. They have this spotaneous fermented farmhouse ale w fermented peaches that sounds bad but is so unique and awesome. at 13.99 a bottle it is expensive but worth it every now and then. 

bells two hearted is a classic, never go wrong there. slightly more malty apa but really balanced and well done.

never heard of NoDa brewery but some good looking offerings.  

NC is becoming a craft beer hot spot. I try to taste any new breweries that get their beer up here. 

------------------------------------

The last thing I need is to get hooked on 1/6 barrels. I already spend about $100 a week on what amounts to less than a case of beer.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I cant say that Ive seen it yet. I go to DC and MD. I feel like VA gets a lot more beer selection/distribution. 

Every time i see your sig, i miss san diego. 

If you see it, get it! It's got amazing blood orange flavor.

Where/when did you live in SD? 

1 hour ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Wow .. Wicked Weed selections. Freak of nature is a really good dipa, expensive it is 6.99 for a 16 oz bottle up here. leutant dank was really good, resiny. hop burglar was good as well, i think it is blood orange pale ale but the blood orange was very mellow and not full front. WW's sours and stouts are awesome. They have this spotaneous fermented farmhouse ale w fermented peaches that sounds bad but is so unique and awesome. at 13.99 a bottle it is expensive but worth it every now and then. 

bells two hearted is a classic, never go wrong there. slightly more malty apa but really balanced and well done.

never heard of NoDa brewery but some good looking offerings.  

NC is becoming a craft beer hot spot. I try to taste any new breweries that get their beer up here. 

------------------------------------

The last thing I need is to get hooked on 1/6 barrels. I already spend about $100 a week on what amounts to less than a case of beer.  

NoDa has some really good beers.  The Coco Loco is my favorite one of theirs.  NC has been booming for craft beer breweries, even small little mountain/foothills towns have breweries popping up, some of them have multiple ones.   

On 4/10/2017 at 11:40 PM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Going to buy a 2 tap kegerator, it will hold one 1/2 barrel, one 1/4 barrel or two 1/6 barrels.  Since I'm paying for two taps, I figure I'd like to start out picking two 1/6 barrel kegs, imports are preferred.

I'm big into brown ales, porters and stouts (not imperial stouts though).  Any suggestions?  I might not be able to get what you recommend, depends on if the place I'm getting it from can get it or not, but I'd love some suggestions.

Suggestions?

I've owned a kegerator, for years.  Before you start picking out kegs, I highly recommend that you learn as much as you can, about kegerators, draft beer, and how to balance a draft keg system.  Until then, don't waste your money, until you know what you're doing.  Trust me on this.    

Here's a very, helpful site, that you should peruse, before dropping $$$ on kegs of beer.  http://www.micromatic.com/forum/us-en/   I strongly suggest, that you educate yourself, on the art of dispensing draft beer, before you buy a kegerator, and start tapping kegs.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Suggestions?

I've owned a kegerator, for years.  Before you start picking out kegs, I highly recommend that you learn as much as you can, about kegerators, draft beer, and how to balance a draft keg system.  Until then, don't waste your money, until you know what you're doing.  Trust me on this.    

Here's a very, helpful site, that you should peruse, before dropping $$$ on kegs of beer.  http://www.micromatic.com/forum/us-en/   I strongly suggest, that you educate yourself, on the art of dispensing draft beer, before you buy a kegerator, and start tapping kegs.

I've wanted one for 10 years and done a lot of research.   I actually had a dual tap built and delivered yesterday.  Kegs weren't cold enough last night so it was extremely foamy.  Got the temp right and let it sit overnight, but I messed up with the pressure and was still getting foam and no carbonation.  Had to kill the co2 and release all the pressure from both kegs and get it reset.  

Working perfect now, carbonation is right and about a inch of head on the porter when I pour it.  Nice day out and I'm enjoying draft beer while smoking a chuck roast and grilling some brats.  :pint:

Thanks for the website link man, I'm digging the site, lots of great info there.  I'm no expert by any means so continued education is welcomed.  

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I've wanted one for 10 years and done a lot of research.   I actually had a dual tap built and delivered yesterday.  Kegs weren't cold enough last night so it was extremely foamy.  Got the temp right and let it sit overnight, but I messed up with the pressure and was still getting foam and no carbonation.  Had to kill the co2 and release all the pressure from both kegs and get it reset.  

Working perfect now, carbonation is right and about a inch of head on the porter when I pour it.  Nice day out and I'm enjoying draft beer while smoking a chuck roast and grilling some brats.  :pint:

Thanks for the website link man, I'm digging the site, lots of great info there.  I'm no expert by any means so continued education is welcomed.  

Welcome to the wonderful world of draft beer!  I gutted an older, beat-up, Kenmore kegerator, rewired it, installed a fan, a blower to coil the tower, new faucet, coupler and regulator and built a new table-top, then pimped it out in Skins colors. Chris Cooley autographed the tap handle. I'll try to post a pic, later.

The name of the game, for draft beer, is having a balaced system. Once it's dialed in, then your gold. I used to buy 1/2 kegs, but now I buy sixtels..You don't save money that way, but the beer tasted great!

Never tap a keg right away..Get it home,  and acclimated to the kegeratoe. That is usually overnight.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1