Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Observations After 10 Weeks

bulldog

1. Some key but aging veterans are no longer worth gameplanning around because they are just not able to stay on the field or be effective for extended periods. Included in this group are Marcus Washington, Shawn Springs, Jon Jansen and Jason Taylor.

So, what does them team do here?

Replace Jon Jansen with the younger and quicker Stephon Heyer at RT. With Samuels hurting at LT, the team no longer has the luxury of chipping and tag teaming on the right side to help Jansen stay afloat play after play.

Continue to start HB Blades at strongside linebacker and make MW a reserve for the last 6 games. Blades was a step slow in coverage on Witten against Dallas, but the Redskins don't face a TE with Witten's deep game very often. Blades is a future MLB for the Skins but is smart enough and flexible enough to be a solid fill-in until we can address the position in the offseason. MW just can't stay healthy. He is working on injury #3 on the year and has been a shadow of the player he was in 2004 and 2005.

Make the backfield rotation Rogers, Smoot and Hall. Put Springs as the #4. Springs at 33 has missed 2/3 of the season with a calf tear, pull or strain (no one has told us which). He has also upset the team's plans a couple of times by pronouncing himself fit to play mid-week and then deactivating himself in the pregame warmups. Some of Springs' behavior is no doubt in part due to his contract status and now the move for Hall, which all but ends his tenure here after 2008. With Hall's cover skills and ability to get turnovers, let Springs watch from the bench.

I think it's far along enough to call the Taylor trade a bust for the Redskins. At 34, Taylor was supposed to be an immediate solution to a glaring need. His injury problems and unwillingness to hold himself out of games to regain his health has hurt both himself and the team. At 244 pounds Taylor is not a particularly good match on the other side of the 4-3 defense from Andre Carter. If I were Blache I would be using Chris Wilson more to pressure the quarterback in passing downs while continuing to use Demetric Evans against the run. What should Taylor's role be? Let him be a rover. Put him at OLB, DE and even inside on certain long yardage downs and see if he is more effective. Right now Taylor is a no-show on the DL. His name was never called in the Dallas game. Why not just admit that and play younger and healthier guys?

2. Jim Zorn needs to cut through the BS at wide receiver. Yes, Vinny drafted a knucklehead in Devin Thomas and a guy with a chronic knee problem in Kelly but there is nothing to be done about that now. The team can't continue to carry a roster spot for Kelly when it is plain he will require offseason knee surgery. There is no Jerry Rice to call up or acquire in free agency, but you can't tell me that Gant or Mann who know the Redskins system wouldn't be better options at this point than the habitually behind Thomas or Kelly. While neither would start, perhaps they could contribute in the 3 and 4 wide sets? So, put Kelly on IR and admit the truth. Also, admit that at the present time Thomas, a #2 pick, may very well be behind a rookie free agent in his development at WR at the pro level.

3. The Redskins have to get better production out of their tight ends. You aren't going to see Fred Davis develop if we wait for him to refine his game to the point he is challenging Chris Cooley. That could be 2-3 years from now. The Cowboys used a rookie TE taken after Davis to beat the Redskins yesterday. No fancy gadget plays, no complex strategy - just a straight seam pass down the hash to the end zone.

With a lack of production at WR, the Redskins for some reason seem loathe to count on the TEs to make up for some of that productivity in the short and intermediate zones across the field.

The Broncos, Titans, Colts and Patriots (2003-2004) all have used two tight end formations to add another bigger target over the middle.

The Redskins could use Cooley and Davis to attack the middle and with Betts taking the passes in the flat, defenses will loosen up a bit for Moss to have some room to operate.

I can buy that Devin Thomas is a slow learner or just didn't take his transition to the NFL seriously and it caught up to him and bit him so that he is now in the middle of a lost season.

But I can't believe the Redskins drafted players that are ALL so limited.

Are we to believe that Davis is also a guy that can't learn a playbook in 7 months, or enough of it to be effective in a limited role?

Something is just not adding up here.

Spot on post with all those comments

The big thing this offense needs is a 2nd WR threat outside of Santana. Right now it is back to 2005, Cooley, Portis, Moss being the only 3 making plays

That only works for so long, when execution on the line is perfect, and the play action game can work. Clearly that is not happening right now

Somehow D. Thomas has to get more involved in the offense, even if it is just throwing up a deep ball to him and having him just run a 9 route.

I knew the Wrs would take some time, but I didn't expect this. This is just embarrasing

As for Jason Taylor, I agree, utilize him some other way and have D. Evans start. Taylor has been utterly useless

Springs is done and is now looking like he is tanking the season for himself. With Hall in the fray there really is no reason to see Springs play much at all. We also don't face a super dynamic passing attack in the last 6 games

The big thing though for this offense is another threat outside of Moss, Portis and Cooley. Right now that simply does not exist

:applause::notworthy

Both the op and the 2nd post were said perfectly. It's sad but true. It's like we've been saying for a while, this draft is looking bad right now, outside of finding a steal in horton, which may make up for it. but even still, we are on a slide, and at this point with this kind of offensive ineptitude, we need to shake it up. If that means throwing in our 2nd rounders and trying to find anything that works, lets try it. can't be any worse than it is now.

[quote name=bulldog;5832971

I can buy that Devin Thomas is a slow learner or just didn't take his transition to the NFL seriously and it caught up to him and bit him so that he is now in the middle of a lost season.

But I can't believe the Redskins drafted players that are ALL so limited.

Are we to believe that Davis is also a guy that can't learn a playbook in 7 months' date=' or enough of it to be effective in a limited role?

Something is just not adding up here.[/quote]

Good summary. I agree completely, and have little to add. However, on the subject of our second round receivers. It honestly isn't that difficult to understand. Some food for thought:

Thomas: One year at Michigan State. Literally one year. And in a conference that isn't exactly a powerhouse, let alone a powerhouse in the receiving department. If Dallas drafts a guy with one year of experience, we laugh and high five. If we do it, we "knew he was a project."

Kelly: Knees. Again, not in a conference that puts out great receivers. Questionable character to boot.

Davis: USC. Again, another weak conference. Who did he get his stats against? See Matt Leinart, and eight to ten total busts recently drafted from USC.

Ever wonder why our best players all all from the state of Florida? Ever wonder why a great number of the most athletic players of all time, and current players, are all from the state of Florida?

Deion, E. Smith, Hester, Brooks, Cromartie, Sean Taylor.....etc? The real physical freaks.

It isn't coincidence.

It is the weather. Come January, when it is 15 degrees outside, the Big 10 skill players are running windsprints in basketball gymnasiums.

Skill position players in Florida are burning on natural grass, in the heat.

Now do that for 6-8 seasons, and you are no longer comparing apples to apples.

Grab your linemen from the big 10. Grab your skill position players from the warm southeast. Preferably from the state of Florida.

:cheers:

Good summary. I agree completely, and have little to add. However, on the subject of our second round receivers. It honestly isn't that difficult to understand. Some food for thought:

Thomas: One year at Michigan State. Literally one year. And in a conference that isn't exactly at powerhouse, let alone a powerhouse in the receiving department. If Dallas drafts a guy with one year of experience, we laugh and high five. If we do it, we "knew he was a project."

Kelly: Knees. Again, not in a conference that puts out great receivers. Questionable character to boot.

Davis: USC. Again, another weak conference. See Matt Leinart, and eight to ten total busts recently drafted from USC.

Ever wonder why our best players all all from the state of Florida? Ever wonder why a great number of the most athletic players of all time, and current players, are all from the state of Florida?

Deion, E. Smith, Hester, Brooks, Cromartie, Sean Taylor.....etc? The real physical freaks.

It isn't coincidence.

It is the weather. Come January, when it is 15 degrees outside, the Big 10 skill players are running windsprints in basketball gymnasiums.

Skill position players in Florida are burning on natural grass, in the heat.

Now do that for 6-8 seasons, and you are no longer comparing apples to apples.

Grab your linemen from the big 10. Grab your skill position players from the warm southeast. Preferably from the state of Florida.

I'm a little lost on the weather thing, but I agree with your overall idea. The great ones recently have all been from Florida, and the SEC or ACC. But the Big 12 does put out some great players too. Now the Big Ten is a different story....

As for the wide receiver issue, we are still missing a big, talented wide out. An Anthony Mix won't do. It just won't.

We need a guy who can fight for a ball and bring it down. The game yesterday between San Francisco and St. Louis had a perfect example of what it means to have a big, talented receiver.

Bryant Johnson (6-3 215) was thrown a ball to the corner of the endzone. He was blanketed in coverage. There was pretty much no room to breathe, let alone make a play. Shaun Hill lobbed that sucker up there, Bryant went up, caught it and scored. It was beautiful. We need a guy that can do that.

Not a guy who is just tall... But a guy with some height and a whole lot of strength and some ability.

Heyer needs to play to get experience, and we need to address the lines in the draft/free agency.

Agreed that Jason Taylor is bust, he is absolutely no factor on defense, at least yet. Maybe he can get game legs under him and be a factor down the stretch, but with only six games left he better hurry.

Zorn is way too conservative with the rookies. He needs to let them play, taking the playmaking along with the rookie mistakes. Zorn is so focused on the little things that sometimes he misses the big picture.

If skins don't start winning we also need to get Colt some action so we can judge whether QB is a major need or not. JC is not cutting it and at 14-16 he is not winning either.

Great post Bulldog. I agree wholeheartedly. To your comments I'd only add that we need to start working Rhinehart at RT for the future, perhaps for next season or the end of this season.

Also, I hate to say it but I was right about the Taylor trade being a bad one. We gave up two picks for a player that's done. We are now further behind than we were when our 2nd DE went down with an injury in training camp. I'm still wondering why we didn't simply go with the obvious option, play Evans on running downs, Wilson as a situational pass rusher and our 7th round draft pick as a reserve?

Unfortunately we now have needs at SLB, DE, DT, OT, C and OG with only one first round pick to fill all those holes. Therefore we're left with few options this offseason; trade down, pay big bucks in F.A. or more likely, both....just to get to the point where we can be consistently competitive.

If we're lucky D. Hall works out and can be signed to a reasonable deal and A. Fincher proves ready for prime time. That would allow us to concentrate all our resources on our lines....where the focus needs to be.

1. Some key but aging veterans are no longer worth gameplanning around because they are just not able to stay on the field or be effective for extended periods. Included in this group are Marcus Washington, Shawn Springs, Jon Jansen and Jason Taylor.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree that you sit your best players because they get beat up. Fact is, if they are healthy, they are better options than their backups.

2. Jim Zorn needs to cut through the BS at wide receiver. Yes, Vinny drafted a knucklehead in Devin Thomas and a guy with a chronic knee problem in Kelly but there is nothing to be done about that now. The team can't continue to carry a roster spot for Kelly when it is plain he will require offseason knee surgery. There is no Jerry Rice to call up or acquire in free agency, but you can't tell me that Gant or Mann who know the Redskins system wouldn't be better options at this point than the habitually behind Thomas or Kelly. While neither would start, perhaps they could contribute in the 3 and 4 wide sets? So, put Kelly on IR and admit the truth. Also, admit that at the present time Thomas, a #2 pick, may very well be behind a rookie free agent in his development at WR at the pro level.

You know Kelly is healthy now, right? :doh:

The team knew when they drafted Thomas that he was going to be somewhat raw and was going to take some time for him to get up to speed. He wasn't expected to contribute much. Kelly was the guy who they thought would earn dividends right away, but he got slowed down by injuries. Now that he seems to be healthy, he can try to get up to speed and contribute down the stretch.

3. The Redskins have to get better production out of their tight ends. You aren't going to see Fred Davis develop if we wait for him to refine his game to the point he is challenging Chris Cooley. That could be 2-3 years from now. The Cowboys used a rookie TE taken after Davis to beat the Redskins yesterday. No fancy gadget plays, no complex strategy - just a straight seam pass down the hash to the end zone.

Zorn explained in today's press conference why he isn't getting more playing time. His play is not consistent enough to get regular play. Considering the focus is just to get some consistency in this offense, adding people in there who only half know what they are doing is probably not going to help matters much. We are more likely to see mistakes rather than production.

With a lack of production at WR, the Redskins for some reason seem loathe to count on the TEs to make up for some of that productivity in the short and intermediate zones across the field.

Well, part of the problem has been pass blocking, which means that the TEs get pulled in more often, which means not as much production from the position.

The Broncos, Titans, Colts and Patriots (2003-2004) all have used two tight end formations to add another bigger target over the middle.

The Redskins could use Cooley and Davis to attack the middle and with Betts taking the passes in the flat, defenses will loosen up a bit for Moss to have some room to operate.

We also use two TEs. It just happens the two TEs right now are Cooley and Yoder. Right now, Yoder is a better football player than Davis.

Great post Bulldog. I agree wholeheartedly. To your comments I'd only add that we need to start working Rhinehart at RT for the future, perhaps for next season or the end of this season.

He struggled at tackle when I saw him in training camp. I think he's probably going to end up being a guard in this league. I still like Heyer a lot and he's still a potential option at RT.

Also, I hate to say it but I was right about the Taylor trade being a bad one. We gave up two picks for a player that's done. We are now further behind than we were when our 2nd DE went down with an injury in training camp. I'm still wondering why we didn't simply go with the obvious option, play Evans on running downs, Wilson as a situational pass rusher and our 7th round draft pick as a reserve?

Probably because it left us paper thin at DE. If Carter or Evans gets hurt, who goes in? The rookie Jackson? The still recovering James?

It is also hard to call Taylor done when he's hardly been healthy this season. It is certainly a lost season for him, but not one that was predictable considering he had a consecutive game streak coming into our team. He also doesn't get much help from the DTs either. I mean, Carter's numbers are down as well.

Unfortunately we now have needs at SLB, DE, DT, OT, C and OG with only one first round pick to fill all those holes. Therefore we're left with few options this offseason; trade down, pay big bucks in F.A. or more likely, both....just to get to the point where we can be consistently competitive.

Actually, I'd call our needs at this moment as DT, C and LB. I think we are in decent shape at other positions, either with what is there or with the young potential behind the starters.

As for the wide receiver issue, we are still missing a big, talented wide out. An Anthony Mix won't do. It just won't.

His name is Malcolm Kelly, but Zorn has him under lock and key for whatever reason. It's absurd. Either he's hurt (yet still probable for each game?) or Zorn is simply afraid that he doesn't have the system down. Either way, you MUST play him eventually.

I was gonna say that was the stupidest thing I've read but god damn.

That makes sense. Crap, I agree with McD5. :(

;)

That said, the analogy extends further. You got solid lineman coming from BC and LB's who play out in the cold coming from Penn State.

I have hopes that either James or Rob Jackson can develop into a stud for next season, and I don't think that either scenario is too far away being viable. If either develops, it will take the sting off of the Jason Taylor trade fleecing that the Tuna put on us.

SEC and Florida only for WR's?!?!?!? Weren't Rod Gardner and Taylor Jacobs SEC players? Bug-eyes Caldwell was a FLA big-shot. Better yet Who was the slow Caucasian Gator that Spurrier brought with him from Florida??? I think Jeff George, Rob Johnson, and Danny Wuerffell threw to him a couple of times...Maybe we should re-sign him! lol

His name is Malcolm Kelly, but Zorn has him under lock and key for whatever reason. It's absurd. Either he's hurt (yet still probable for each game?) or Zorn is simply afraid that he doesn't have the system down. Either way, you MUST play him eventually.

We'll see. I hope you're correct.

I was gonna say that was the stupidest thing I've read but god damn.

That makes sense. Crap, I agree with McD5. :(

;)

That said, the analogy extends further. You got solid lineman coming from BC and LB's who play out in the cold coming from Penn State.

Yes. It really isn't that hard to understand.

Great groups of players tend to come from the same places. I saw Parcells talk about Florida receivers/rbs/defensive backs, and he said that after 8 years, (4 in high school, 4 in college) of being able to actually practice outdoors during the cold winter months, that Fla skill position players actually get an entire year more of real practice and development than players up north.

SI did a study on it, and found it to be true also.

Just think about it: 1 foot of snow on the ground in Illinois. Where do the receivers, rbs and corners practice at? Outside in cleats? Hell no.

They run shortened windsprints inside tiny basketball gymnasiums in tennis shoes. That isn't a complete workout, and can extend for weeks or even months.

At the same time....the Hesters, Prime Times and Cromarties are practicing on 100 yard grass fields in Florida.

Additionally, if you are the top cb prospect in the country, where are you going to want to attend college?

Michigan? Hell no again. FSU or Miami....to follow in the footsteps of the Prime Times, Rolles, Cromarties.....etc.

Once those top cb prospects hit florida.....it makes their wrs even better, because they practice against them everyday.

The Michigan kid practices against some white, slow cornerback from Illinois state.

The FSU wide receiver, (Boldin), practices against the fastest dbs in the country. This better competition, in turn, makes the wrs better.

If a Boldin, or a Calvin Johnson emerges from the southeast, you know they are the real deal.

Get your lbs from Penn State and the Big 10.

Get your Portis, Santana, Sean Taylor, Deion, Hester, Cromartie, Rolle, Boldin, Phillips guys that are going to be around the ball.....from the southeast, specifically in Fla if possible.

The sad thing? A poster on ES knows this.....and the guy with the job, Vinny....has absolutely no comprehension of it.

God can we please get a real GM, and an entirely new scouting department?

:2cents:

He struggled at tackle when I saw him in training camp. I think he's probably going to end up being a guard in this league. I still like Heyer a lot and he's still a potential option at RT..

Chad is a stud. He looked good at guard, and I agree he was slow at tackle in preseason games. I would let him start playing guard. Sends a message to the OLine.

It is also hard to call Taylor done when he's hardly been healthy this season. It is certainly a lost season for him, but not one that was predictable considering he had a consecutive game streak coming into our team. He also doesn't get much help from the DTs either. I mean, Carter's numbers are down as well..

I would like to see JT at OLB and send him. It would create a serious mismatch for the offense that would have to keep a TE on the line or RB in the back to watch for him. He's not effective at DE at this point. Could create some more schemes. AC is horrible no excuses he needs to step it up!

Actually, I'd call our needs at this moment as DT, C and LB. I think we are in decent shape at other positions, either with what is there or with the young potential behind the starters.

We need a starting RT. Young stud. Heyer is not the answer. Definately DLine DE/DT and LB.

Wow, looks like we're all in general agreement, huh? The only disagreement I have with the OP is that I think we've gotta play our rookies. DT and MK need to play. As with anything, there is no experience like actually getting out there and doing it. There will be mistakes, but hey--our vets make plenty of mistakes too. Zorn and a bunch of players say that the offense is sputtering because we're not executing--aka--making mistakes (or just not playing well enough).

So, I say let DT and MK play and learn from their mistakes. It's not like our offense is exactly lighting up the world without them and playing them would cause a big dropoff in production.

Definitley think Zorn should try switching up the line this week. Earlier on in the season he sat Janson for Heyer, putting performance over experience, and it worked. I think doing it again for some of the other positions will get the guys in the trenches to wake up a little, and give some opportunites for young guys to capitalize on.

Archived