Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Devin Thomas - questionable performance?

chaught76

People have to realize that sometimes it takes a few years (not just one) for WR's to make an impact in this league. There are far fewer immediate impact WR's then the ones that take a few years to develop. Want an example, everyone said Roddy White was a bust in Atlanta after his first two years in the league...now he is league leader. You have to give these guys some time before you start kicking them to the curb

You are 100000% correct and everyone needs to keep this in mind.

However, that doesnt discount the frustration I had in seeing him drop that catch. It shows me this guy is further behind than at least I thought, and that maybe there is something to this whole "D Thomas is not ready or he would be playing more" the local media talks about. Concerning, thats all.

Do we cut him? No. Do we say hes a bust? No. Is he slow to develop and is that disappointing when you hope for the best out of the gates? Yes.

I can handle dropping passes. That happens to everyone.

I'm concerned about the confusion regarding he should be on the field (the 12 men in the huddle penalty) and the illegal formation penalty. Those seem to be "not knowing your job" type penalties.

Or...I am overreacting.

This situation in particular was IMO Campbells fault. From what I could tell sitting in section 432 was that Zorn and comp was yelling for Thomas to come off the field. He proceeded to and then Campbell waved him to come back to the huddle.

As soon as that happened the flag was thrown for too many in the huddle.

Now, I'm not going to defend Thomas here because as you mentioned ultimatley it's Thomas job to figure out when he should or shouldn't be on the field

So he dropped one pass, no reason to think he is a bust. Did the long pass to Moss hit his hands? Sure did, he didnt catch it, is he a bust?

Cmon, you guys thing the rookie should be perfect, if not, kick him to the curb.

Yea he lined up wrong causing a penalty, didnt El get flagged for offensive pass interference??? Mistakes happen to veterns and rookies, they are human.

As for the cunfusion with 12 men in the huddle, I ask -Where was the recievers coach during this? Shouldnt he be watching his guys and knowing whats going on??

Now I am not saying the DT is blameless, but from what I have seen he is making rookie mistakes. He is getting more playing time, JC is throwing more to him, all will be good.

We drafted a receiver that everyone knew was a project, but has an amazing upside. Now, part way through his first season, he's playing like a project in his first season. Hmmmmmm.

What I learned from that game is that Campbell is gaining more confidence in Thomas as evidenced by going to him twice on big third downs. He's seeing more plays that look his way and that should tell everyone that Zorn is getting more confident in him.

He'll keep improving with time, I wish I could say the same for our Oline.

ok im tired of all the DT and Malcolm Kelly hate.

1) If we would have drafted desean jackson or eddie royal we would not have had the same outcome. Zorn would not have played either of them. He would have treated them exactly the same as DT and MKelly. they would be in some of the plays but neither would have started early in the year.

2) they would NOT be returning punts for us either. If you guys watched the jim zorn show this week he said that he would rather have ball security back there than someone who could make the long punt return. That would mean no desean jackson. He has made some bonehead plays this year and apparently zorn would choose randle el over someone with the big play potential.

3) Finally, most rookies just take time. stop comparing them to other rookies and let them come along. and that 3rd down pass by campbell was low and hard. DT would not have had time to dive for it just because it was about a 4 yard pass that was at his feet thrown pretty hard

all of these just go along with how conservative zorn is with his playcalling AND his personnel. he would rather have thrash and cartwright and all those guys who have ball security and are smart in there instead of guys who can make big plays and that is why we dont score.

Thanks for all the responses.

I for one am not ready to call him a bust.

I agree with some posters that it can take time for WRs to develop.

However, by saying this, it does not concede that Devin Thomas is not responsible for trying to perform. Watch the play and his reactions after some of his plays.

1) Campbell didn't throw him a perfect pass, but it was catchable. He dropped the ball because he short-armed the reception for who knows what reason.

2) After his catches and non-catches, he looks and acts so entitled out there. Almost like some kind of pre-madonna. The only legit complaint the man has was the non-face mask call on him during the screen.

:2cents:

He is a BUST.

Santana Moss had 32 catches, in his first TWO years in the NFL total. Or Michael Irvin's 78 total catches his first 3 years in the NFL Are they busts. They would be if their front offices had the same patience as you. Just let these guys develop. they aren't a big part of Zorn's gameplans right now. But I still would have drafted them ahead of Royal or Desaun Jackson right now. We have enough small quick WR. We need to develop the tall possession WR that we have been lacking for years. It takes at least 3 or 4 years before the bust label can be put on anyone who plays WR

I'm concerned about the confusion regarding he should be on the field (the 12 men in the huddle penalty) and the illegal formation penalty. Those seem to be "not knowing your job" type penalties.

Or...I am overreacting.

I was at the game... Devin was trying to come off the field during that huddle but the coaches yelled at him to get into it. Someone else should have come out on that. He was running towards the sidelines when the coaches yelled and pointed back towards the huddle. I'm not so sure that was on him.

People have to realize that sometimes it takes a few years (not just one) for WR's to make an impact in this league. There are far fewer immediate impact WR's then the ones that take a few years to develop. Want an example, everyone said Roddy White was a bust in Atlanta after his first two years in the league...now he is league leader. You have to give these guys some time before you start kicking them to the curb

:applause: Excellent point; lil homie still need to SHOW he is trying to step it up tho

The dropped pass wasn't a gimme. But he definitely had a good chance at it.

3 catches. More than I expected, including a 1st down conversion on 3rd down.

He was in on a couple of special teams tackles.

More confusion over where to be got us a couple of silly penalties.

If he can eliminate the penalties and get a few routes down pat he will be fine. Until then we're going to have to take the bad with the good.

Voice of reason. :applause:

You are 100000% correct and everyone needs to keep this in mind.

However, that doesnt discount the frustration I had in seeing him drop that catch. It shows me this guy is further behind than at least I thought, and that maybe there is something to this whole "D Thomas is not ready or he would be playing more" the local media talks about. Concerning, thats all.

Do we cut him? No. Do we say hes a bust? No. Is he slow to develop and is that disappointing when you hope for the best out of the gates? Yes.

Ted Ginn comes to mind here ...he's not lighting it up, but he for sure turned the corner.

How about Reggie Wayne -took him three years in an uber pass happy offense to get 1000 yards.

In spite of that little cocaine thing, Matt Jones is coming out this year to be prettty productive:laugh:

I'm going to go ahead and say it now, if ARE didn't get injured, he would've caught that pass Thomas dropped.

I've been really disgusted with our rookie receivers so far this year, and Thomas' play last night nailed it for it.

Jackson, Avery, Royal...all rookie receivers playing like vets, yet Kelly can't even get on the damn field and Thomas just looks bad!

Can anyone say Billy McMullen?

Or...I am overreacting.

Im not 100% pos. But i dont think that was him. I thought it was but the following play he was out there. I think if it was his fault Zorn would have put him on the bench! :2cents:

Archived