Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Metro buses to run Anti God ads during holiday season

WVUforREDSKINS

Hey whatever floats your boat, what others believe or don't believe in has nothing to do with my personal relationship, faith or belief.

But I think some folks come off a little jaded or twisted here. Don't let the few that spout nonsense, act holier than though, or scoff at you for what you believe or don't believe, make you think negatively of someone who does believe.

In other words don't lump a group of folks all in one basket due to how some come across or act. I don't force, or preach what I believe in on others...nor do I knock others for what they believe or don't believe in that is different than my own personal relationship or views. Now if someone asks me I will tell them, but that's it.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm not quite sure I follow your logic there.
Satanism has a heavy focus on self. They don't really worship Satan as much as they do self. At least that's what they claim.

But that's the great deception that Satan brings to the world. He tells you that you are god. Its been that way from the beginning.

correct me if I'm wrong, but satanism isn't a religion at all. I was under the impression satanism was all about a focus on the self and had nothing to do religion.
They do have a Satanic Bible and churches.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw this on the way to work.

Winner=Metro

http://www.dcexaminer.com/local/Pro-God_messages_to_counter_atheist_bus_ads.html

stay-at-home mother of four is poised to start a Metrobus ad campaign to counter ads from the American Humanist Association that question a belief in God.

JoEllen Murphy, a 39-year-old Catholic who lives in McLean, started a grassroots Internet campaign after hearing about the humanist ads that started appearing last month on Metrobuses.

Murphy’s ad shows an image from Michelangelo’s “The Creation of Adam” on the Sistine Chapel ceiling with the slogan: “Why believe? I created you and I love you, for goodness’ sake. – God.”

As of Thursday evening, 557 people had joined Murphy’s “I Believe Too” Facebook page and 120 donors had contributed more than $5,700. The ad-hoc group said they sent a check and a signed ad contract to Metro on Thursday for 200 ads to go behind bus drivers’ seats.

“We’ll have a little ad war going on,” Murphy told The Examiner.

The American Humanist Association ads, which went up Nov. 17, say, “Why believe in a god? Just be good for goodness’ sake.”

Those ads have sparked at least 286 complaints to Metro and 73 compliments. More than 100 of those responses came after The Examiner published a story Wednesday about the controversy.

Murphy didn’t like the humanist ads but never called Metro to complain. “It’s freedom of speech,” she said. “The humanists are perfectly allowed to pay for the ad. Metro is allowed to accept it.”

Yet she wanted to do something. “I have $10. It’s not going to go very far,” she recalled thinking. “But if we get together we could have an ad.” She found a friend who is a graphic designer to draw it up. The husband of a woman in her mother’s church group designed a Web site, ibelievetoo.org, while other acquaintances handled the Metro contract and printing the banners.

The Catholic nonprofit Center for Family Development in Bethesda agreed to partner with the campaign so donations could be tax-deductible.

Murphy and her new group hope to raise $14,000 to match the American Humanists’ ad campaign: 20 ads on the sides and backs of buses plus the 200 interior ads. Any leftover money would go to charitable activities.

Murphy isn’t new to activism. She worked on Capitol Hill for former Rep. Bill Lipinski, D.-Ill. More recently she has lobbied the United Nations on women’s issues and worked with local Catholic groups.

The American Humanist Association may not agree with Murphy’s message but it says she has a right to counter their ads.

“Our view is that free speech is free speech,” said spokesman Fred Edwords. “We do it. They do it. The more the merrier.”

I listened to O'riely a few weeks ago when he had this guy on, and he made a good point.

If it was just about celebrating christmas without god, why not just run the signs without the Why believe in God part??

He felt that that part of the slogan was to ruffle feathers and be a jab at religion, not just merely to get their point across.

Which I agree.

So... Let me get this straight....

The Atheists start a campaign to "attack Christians" and the Christians complain... The Christians start a counterattack and noone complains?

Maybe it's because Atheists are used to this sort of thing...

Archived