Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Henna tattoo reactions, scars?

AsburySkinsFan

Hey ya'll. So my wife and I escape to Gatlinburg, TN last month, and we decide to do the tourist thing and get temporary henna tattoos, yeah I know real brave right. Anyways, what wasn't told was that the "black henna" that is used for the tattoo is known to cause allergic reactions in some folks, estimates range from 3-15% of people. Well, just my luck, about a week after I got mine, I noticed it starting to itch so I removed it, within a day an exact replica of the henna was on my arm but in an allergic reaction. It's been a month and its still there. I fear permanent scarring from it, thankfully its in the shape of a cross so if it is permanent then at least I can get a real tat to cover it. Personally, I'm alleric to poison ivy, as such my skin is probably more prone to reactions, but I post this so that folks can be fore warned about this potential.

Has anyone else experienced this or even heard of it before?

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/91/original/henna/wolf.html

Check out these photos of henna reactions.

3s.jpg4s.jpg

6s.jpg7s.jpg

They specifically reference it on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henna

According to wikipedia, real henna is safe, but what they refer to as "black henna" is not real henna. They specifically say that "black henna" is known to be used in tourist areas, even though its potential for causing problems is fairly known.

Here is a relevant excerpt though:

Anyone who has an itching and blistering reaction to a black body stain should go to a doctor, and report that they have had an application of para-phenylenediamine to their skin.

PPD sensitivity is lifelong, and once sensitized, the use of synthetic hair dye can be life-threatening [29]. These injuries are not caused by henna, and a person can use henna as hair dye.

We do it all the time in our family for weddings

Never seen anything like this

The reactions are with the "black henna" that has a particular chemical added to the henna, its the paraphenylenediamine (PPD) that causes the allergic reactions, the "brown henna" doesn't contain this chemical additive and as such the reactions are FAR less.

Most henna tattoists don't even know that the "black henna" causes this reaction, because many times its tourists who get the tattoos and by the time the reaction starts, they've already travelled home.

Archived