Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Which (ex) Raiders CB should we sign: Nnamdi Asomugha or Deangelo Hall?

#98QBKiller

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Who would you sign? Hall is available now, Asomugha will be available as an UFA after the season.

Nnamdi Asomugha:

http://www.nfl.com/players/nnamdiasomugha/profile?id=ASO415291

Deangelo Hall:

http://www.nfl.com/players/deangelohall/profile?id=HAL268837

Although we could have Hall now, my choice would be to wait it out and make a move for Nnamdi Asomugha. This guy is worth paying decent money for and both corners would cost a pretty penny regardless.

Hall is 5-10, 195 and 24 years old. He has a slight speed advantage over Asomugha.

However, Asomugha is 6-2, 210 and 27 years old. He is very fast for his size and is a true shutdown corner, because QBs simply do not throw his direction.

Read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nnamdi_Asomugha

Asomugha's size and physicality makes him much more ideal for our team IMO.

We have to face big WRs like Plaxico Burress/Amani Toomer, TO/Roy Williams twice a year and Asomugha would be very valuable in NFC East games.

Also by picking him up we don't have to worry about gambling a first-round draft pick to find Shawn Springs' (eventual) replacement. Imagine this guy and Carlos covering a teams top two WRs?

Also Asomugha doesn't come with the locker room/off-field baggage that Hall comes with.

To me we should wait it out and make a serious push at grabbing Asomugha, maybe him being our only FA aquisition in the offseason.

What do you guys think?

Seems to me that Hall may be a much, much cheaper option with a considerable upside. Not denying Asomugha' talent.. he's among the elite - but he's gonna demand elite $$ in the offseason. We don't have it.

Hall may not work here... but why not give it a shot at possible a fraction of what it would cost to bring Asomugha in.

Perhaps we should talk to the Patriots. They seem to have it.

I think it's because Bill Belichick doesn't put up with that kind of ****. His players know what he expects from them and they don't test him.

After seeing Zorn chew out Portis and how he got fired up at that press conference I wouldn't doubt if he is the same way.:2cents:

Asomugha is probably the best corner in the NFL bar none. However the Raiders have already said they are going to use the fanchise tag on him next year and I think they sed the exlusive tag this year which means we can't even offer them 2 number 1's for him.

I think next year is the last year they can tag him which means the earliest we could try to sign him would be 2010 and there will be que of teams waving cheque books if he does hit the market even if it does not cost a draft pick.

There are no guarantees. You have to get what you can when you can. Passing on Hall does not guarantee a chance at Asomugha. If we pass on Hall there is a good chance we would not be able to get either. I am not necessarily advocating Hall but I don't like passing on decent talent for chance at slightly better talent that may or may not be interested in joining the Skins down the road.

There are no guarantees. You have to get what you can when you can. Passing on Hall does not guarantee a chance at Asomugha. If we pass on Hall there is a good chance we would not be able to get either. I am not necessarily advocating Hall but I don't like passing on decent talent for chance at slightly better talent that may or may not be interested in joining the Skins down the road.

I would still rather pass on Hall and just use a draft pick on a CB. He's not worth it IMO.

Found this on Asomugha too:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/fa/db.html

2009 NFL Free Agent Defensive Backs

By: Greg Davis

Nnamdi Asomugha, UFA, Oakland Raiders

Asomugha’s numbers don’t overwhelm other than his eight interceptions in ’06, but the big reason that he has only 217 career tackles and nine interceptions is because opponents attack the side of the field that Asomugha isn’t on. He has 40 passes defensed over the past three seasons and he’s one of the NFL’s best in coverage. He’s held some of the game’s best receivers in check in single coverage and when he becomes a free agent, he may command the most attention of the lot. Oakland will likely be unwilling to pay him the money he’ll be after, so look for Asomugha to be wearing something other than silver and black after this season.

Is it possible that Raiders won't pay the $$$ for him?

Of course Nnamdi Asomugha but he's gonna cost a lot.

But I would like to sign Hall now. He's only 24 and he can help with Punt returns and we could use the help at CB.

Plus Zorn will not take any of his BS. I guarantee it. He will either behave or he wont step on the field. Neither would Blache actually.

i like Asomugha, but we are in this season already. we are in good position to make a run. we don't know when we'll be in this position again, so we must carpe' diem. sign hall now and hope he can jell in time for us to make the playoffs and deep into it.

i see us picking up hall the same thing as the bulls picking up brian williams/bison dele that year they made it to the playoffs again. they were doing well, then acquired him in a trade and that was basically the nail in the coffin for the rest of the league.

Obviously Asomugha is the better player and we'd like to have his talent more. Unfortunately it doesn't make much sense to invest the kind of money he's going to demand into upgrading a unit which as of yet has played pretty well as is. This guy is going to have teams salivating over him and somebody will offer him WAY more money than we could and should reasonably offer him.

I'm going to vote "no" on Hall as well. Ideally we would sign him for the vet minimum and he would play 3rd or 4th corner. But does anyone really see this guy doing that? He's a former #1 guy and pro-bowler. I would be nervous about burying a guy with his history of clubhouse behavior that low on the depth chart.

Just don't sign HALL. There is no cure for cancer.

I have seen quotes like these running around lately about D.Hall. I don't understand why. Have any of you look through his eyes 8in is situation. His coach last pulled a Baltimore Colts move and left in the middle of the night and went to another team. You tell me you wouldn't be pissed about that? How did the Falcons repay him? they shipped him to Oakland, No need to elaborate on that.

His teams were losing we are winning and winning cures everything. He might not even end up coming here but if he does I have no problem with it because he will be joining an elite defense and a winning team. Which should make him happy.

Just don't sign HALL. There is no cure for cancer.

And where would we of been if Coach Gibbs had this attitude toward #21?

The problem's Hall had in Atlanta were in his last year, when the darn COACH quit on the team, and they had the whole Michael Vick situation over shadowing them. As far as Oakland..... it's the RAIDERS under DAVIS, no more needs saying. Oh, and in BOTH cases, his team mates STILL speak of him in glowing terms. Some "locker room cancer" huh? :doh:

And before anyone takes the start of this post out of context and jumps, I'm in NO way comparing Hall to Sean. Just pointing out that, given the right environment to be in, which he sure would have here, and maturation with age, people can change.

Hail.

Give Hall a shot for the right amount of money. He asks for more than that, say "good luck and good bye". Asomugha won't be available. He'll get franchised, maybe with the exclusive tag, and then watch the staggering contracts roll in (Clements 8/$80M range). One CB is not worth that much money.

Archived