Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Week 8 Anatomy of a Play: Campbell go-ahead TDs to Moss

KyleVA

Okay, so I have a question here. On the TD against the Lions, they brought the blitz, and Pearson was sitting on Moss's route because he anticipated a hot read. Did JC and Moss actually get lucky in that they didn't go with a hot route and stay with the called route, or was that be design? Because clearly there should be a hot route if they see 4 blitzers coming from one side.

Wow this was absolutely amazing to watch after dissecting the play. The mechanics Jason has learned from excellent coaching is paying off dividends in wins. The awareness that Jason has to avoid a rush, especially with four blitzers is simply remarkable!

Zorn and his coaching relationship with Campbell is what is taking this team to the next level. It's going to be fun watching Campbell develop even more in the next few years. Once his game awareness becomes second nature, he'll be able to audible at the line of scrimmage to a wide reciever to do exactly what was depicted here on his own. That will be the day when we say "Damn, Jason is a GREAT quarterback."

Cheers to that day coming and us enjoying the ride!

:notworthy

Okay, so I have a question here. On the TD against the Lions, they brought the blitz, and Pearson was sitting on Moss's route because he anticipated a hot read. Did JC and Moss actually get lucky in that they didn't go with a hot route and stay with the called route, or was that be design? Because clearly there should be a hot route if they see 4 blitzers coming from one side.
This was a designed route moss completely sets up the slot CB to bite on the slant. Moss never sits on the route he rides it all the way through with 1 step inside to force the CB to commit.

The CB on the play commits to a short slant while santana drives up field into the opening of the zone coverage for a TD.

JC gets alot of credit due to his pocket awareness that was truely a thing of beauty. Joe Gibbs for president!

I second the question of the guy above. How come Santana is not cutting off his route? I'm assuming that Santana was not the hot receiver. Meaning, we had Thrash and Thomas on the outsides doing curls (Thomas was WIDE open, btw...big play there as well if Campbell looks off the safety then comes back to him), so we gotta figure Campbell can get the ball off quickly to one of them in case of a blitz.

Also, I wish the video would focus more on Campbell's pre-snap reads. In the Saints play, I remember he adjusted the protection pre-snap...I'd like to know what he saw in the D and how that affected the play. Also, in the Lions play, it would be cool if they went through what Campbell's decision-making process might be when he saw that the Lions' safety was up on the LOS and not covering a receiver or TE.

All in all, awesome video and it's great to see Campbell making strides like this. Little things he did, like keeping both hands on the ball...those are huge indicators to me that Zorn is getting through to him and it's all working.

Yeah, it would make sense for Santana to break off his route there, since he is really the only person that knows that the blitzer is coming. But it was pretty clear that both he and Campbell were on the same page there expecting him to continue his route.

Maybe the way the play is designed, since there are four wide receivers, they are no hot routes, because both Thrash and Thomas are running quick hooks anyways. If the pressure comes from the right side and Campbell is in trouble, his hot read is Thrash (or to throw it away in this case since Thrash was well-covered). If the blitz came from the left side and he is in trouble, he could have looked to Thomas.

Watch the video of Moss talking about how he gets separation from defenders and does double moves. The plan all the way was to sell the hot route--make the CB think he was cutting the route short, get the CB to bite on the double move and keep going downfield. With an empty backfield and 4 wide, I'm sure there were pressure valves built into the play without anyone using a hot route. They also knew the blitz was coming from the safety, so it was back to Zorn's favorite lesson---avoid, reset, throw. That's why he stresses that so much.

Archived