Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Support HR 5842/5843- Decriminalize it.

Koolblue13

It is a natural plant created by G*D, how can you criminalize it? The way the gov demonizes it in D.A.R.E. classes backfires when people try it, realize its not as bad as they say and then think well maybe they lied about the other stuff too. Just legalize it, tax it, and save the money for stopping the use of harder drugs. Cannabis was once a popular crop in this country, and still is, so just face it that it won't go away so deal with it in a way as to not turn many otherwise law-abiding citizens into criminals.

I'm interested in both aspects.

The medical is more important, but can't fully happen if the Fed just arrests people working for the state.

So legalize medicinal pot at the Federal level.

The Federal ban has to end now.

According to you.

And as far as this not being a new argument, it's the first bill like this in over 20 years.

The bill may be new but the argument isn't.

As someone who has a condition (glaucoma) that might be assisted by the prescription of medical marijuana were it legal in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts I wholeheartedly OPPOSE this piece of legislation and decry not only its language but those elected officials who have chosen to put forth such a piece of legislation and/or support it in any way, shape, manner or form.

Actually, you could decriminalize or legalize marijuana and still keep driving and intoxication laws intact, making it just as illegal to use or be under the influence while driving. As far as I know, there hasn't been any reported large spikes of accidents due to "stoned drivers" in areas with relaxed marijuana laws.

Currently, many Americans use marijuana and many of them probably drive while they are stoned. And yet, we do not have a great body of evidence to suggest this has led to a impaired drive epidemic in this nation nor lead to such an epidemic if marijuana was decriminalized here in the US.

First, laws against intoxication obviously do not work as well as we would like, what's more is that law enforcement is always geared to take affect AFTER the crime has been committed and the problem with intoxication laws the effects of the law being broken are all too often tragic. Further, just because we do not have a "great body of evidence" does not mean that its not true, nor should it cause us to think that we should try a dangerous public experiment.

First, laws against intoxication obviously do not work as well as we would like, what's more is that law enforcement is always geared to take affect AFTER the crime has been committed and the problem with intoxication laws the effects of the law being broken are all too often tragic. Further, just because we do not have a "great body of evidence" does not mean that its not true, nor should it cause us to think that we should try a dangerous public experiment.

It is not an experiment, there are volumes of evidence already in place. You know that it is illegal to drive under the influence of it NOW, look at the percentage of people who have injured others while using and driving versus the number of total users in the US, it is a FRACTION of drunk driving. Maybe we should criminalize alcohol then because that killed more people with drunk driving and alcohol related deaths in 2007 than MJ has since records have been taken (more than 30 years)......if you are so concerned with the potential hazards to others:2cents:

You can already get a DUI for driving high.

It's already available just about everywhere.

Not much happens if it's decriminalized, except prisons aren't as full, crime is lessened, cops can attack real drugs like speed and the "gateway" drug tag stops making kids think pot is as bad as other drugs.

Stop watching refer madness.

We also need to defederalize industrial hemp.

So is opium what's your point? Just because God created it doesn't mean that it should be or is meant to be consumed. God made poison ivy, I guess its good to smoke or eat. :doh:

Opium is a derivative of the poppy plant not the actual plant in pure form, should we outlaw poppy seed bagels? Nothing is done to a cannabis plant but letting it dry before it is smoked. Poison ivy shouldn't be consumed in my opinion but if someone wants to, I don't think the government needs to waste my tax dollars imprisoning them.

From my understanding the medicinal use of pot is not necessary in that there are other medicines that accomplish the same medicinal purposes as smoking pot. IMO this is just another attempt to legalize drug use.

Yes because there's no reason to use a natural, safe substances to achieve those affects. Obviously, nothing bad ever happens and no mistakes are made, or bad things happen when dealing with pharmaceuticals.

People just are unwilling to accept how relatively tame it is and how many people, from ALL walks of life, already do it. So much hypocrisy.

Do you have a body of evidence that supports the idea that "stoned," marijuana-intoxicated drivers are a problem?

Keep in mind, when it comes to DUI's, interdiction by law enforcement is aimed at catching culprits in the act of operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances. It isn't the same as many capital crimes where law enforcement often do not apprehend the suspect in the act of the crime, but after the deed has already been perpetuated.

Police often do not bust a dunk driver after they've already reached inebriation, operated their vehicle, and arrived at their residence: it is usually in the act of committing the DUI itself.

Thus, we really would know if "high" drivers were a problem, and, AFAIK, they are not.

Seeing as how the drug that adversely affects the most parts of the body (alcohol) is completely legal and is responsible for tens of thousands of deaths each year from a variety of causes, I've always marveled at the hypocrisy of "this drug is ok, and that one isn't", especially when dealing with something as harmless as marijuana. It has been scientifically shown to help people with various disorders without many of the bad side effects of expensive pharmaceuticals.

I'm not saying I'm for criminalizing alcohol, just that people need to get a bit of perspective and look at things in a less biased way. Every day this country spends millions of dollars to keep people locked up who are in there for minor drug offenses concerning marijuana, while we run out of jail and prison cells for people who commit violent crimes, etc.

The "War on Drugs" approach has failed; most of what we have to show for it is billions of taxpayer money spent, demonization of a substance that has never been shown to cause deaths, and ridiculously harsh sentences in most places for any type of marijuana possession without a marked reduction in drug use. And I don't even smoke. Sheesh.

If you think about it, if Marijuana was legalized it would no longer be considered a gate-way drug. There's a certain stigma about doing something that's "illegal": Well, I've already broken the law by doing weed, so now I can try acid. Oh, well people are doing X now too, ah, it's not that big of a deal to try it...and so forth.

If it was legalized, it could actually have a positive effect on reducing harder drug use that can actually hurt our citizens.

Cool bill. Here in Richmond, some friends of mine were smoking a doobie in the car like idiots and got pulled over by the cop. the cop gave them a fine, didn't confiscate their bud, and said "next time you all want to smoke, at least leave the window open so its not as obvious." It seemed like the police just didn't really care. In the spectrum of substances, it's not dangerous.

what about taxing the living **** out of it, u could raise revenue that way and still please everybody

That study actually takes taxation into account. From the link I posted earlier ...

**Revenue from taxation of marijuana sales would range from $2.4 billion per year if marijuana were taxed like ordinary consumer goods to $6.2 billion if it were taxed like alcohol or tobacco.

We have enough problems with drunk drivers we don't need them to be high too. You'll of course disagree, but the last thing we need is people legally smoking pot while driving, or even driving after they have smoked pot. "Make it illegal to do so" some will say, fine and that's done what for drunk driving? Its not the legality that makes it a problem its the availability. Making it legal does not fix the problem, it just expands the problem and it allows the politicians and police to ignore it. Sorry, but I'm looking at the "law of unintended consequences" with legalization of pot and seeing a nightmare.

I couldn't agree more.

People are ignoring the point that alcohol related accidents and crimes are high because it is legal to drink. The reason there is not a high amount of pot related accidents is because it is NOT legal to possess. If you are drunk your judgment and actions are already impaired, thus drunk-driving can occur. Once someone is high, who is to say they won't try and drive somewhere? It clearly happens with alcohol right now.

You will see a huge spike in pot-related accidents if it becomes legalized. People are dumb and will try and drive. It's the same mentality...drunk drivers also believe they are sober enough to drive.

Even if only legalized medically, it will still be available to a larger base of people, thus increasing the chances of exploitation and reckless use.

And for those advocating medical use (and this is not sarcastic or anything, just an honest question), is inhaling smoke, damaging one's lungs, and an increased chance of several cancers really worth the use?

No question it should be at the very least decriminalized. Anyone that believes the law should stand as is clearly hasn't done enough research into the subject especially considering the dangers of alcohol and cigarettes (two far worse substances already made legal). I do believe it's only a matter of time before it is decriminalized. Does anyone know exactly when they will vote on this bill?

Also, just in case anyone is interested here is a video of the 2008 Presidential Candidates' positions on marijuana:

Some call it tampee

Some call it the weed

Some call it Marijuana

Some of them call it Ganja

Singer smoke it

And players of instruments too

Legalize it, yeah, yeah

That's the best thing you can do

Doctors smoke it

Nurses smoke it

Judges smoke it

Even the lawyers too