Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins lead NFL in FG attempts with 21

EnFoRcEr_uPu

I knew they had gone for a lot of FG's, but didn't realize it was the most in the league. I was surprised not to see a thread anywhere on the front page about this.

Anyone have an idea of why this is? Play calling in the redzone? Lack of taller targets in the red zone? Penalties at horrible times?

I knew they had gone for a lot of FG's, but didn't realize it was the most in the league. I was surprised not to see a thread anywhere on the front page about this.

Anyone have an idea of why this is? Play calling in the redzone? Lack of taller targets in the red zone? Penalties at horrible times?

**** thats not good, what is s squared's stats?

Ok, from what I can tell, Suisham has attempted 21 FGs, Matt Bryant (TB) has attempted 20, and then there are 4 teams tied at 19, and 3 more at 18. So, 9 teams have attempted about the same number of FGs (I'm making a bold assumption that 3 FGs in 7 or 8 games is not that big a difference) as us.

The number is too high. We need to score more TDs than FG, but when I read this, I wanted to know if we were out on an island with 5+ more attempts than any other team. We are not.

As to why, well, today we had 1 legit stop (we called plays, they didn't work) on the first drive, then penalties and bone head plays that stopped us from there.

The defense gets paid also, so there are times you're not going to score TDs. But you can't stop yourself with bone head mistakes in the Red Zone. Make THEM stop you, don't stop yourself.

Also, the lack of production from the rookies in the Red Zone, with their size, is a problem. That should come around. Next season. :(

We make too many mistakes that kill drives. Penulties, turnovers or poor execution continuously stall drives. Just look at what happened today or the Ram game. How many drives got stalled because of a fumble or a penulty? Throw in some dropped passes and poor execution and you have your reasons.

Eventually, the team is going to have to produce TD's or they will get left behind. Beating teams like the Giants require TD's.

This is a total red herring. We've played eight games, for 2.625 attempts per game. There are three teams that have played seven games (Vikings, Giants, Eagles) but have attempted 19 field goals in those games (2.71 per game). So... don't be too impressed/disappointed/whatever with being "#1" in this stat.

Actually, this isn't bad. We're in the red zone a lot. And we're winning games.

Are TDs nicer? Sure, but life could be a lot worse.

Agree completely. People seem to forget this is the team's first year in the offense. The fact we are having the level of success we are should be praised and bumps in the road should be expected. Zorn and Co. obviously know the redzone offense needs to improve in terms of TDs, and that improvement should come as the team continues to have success.

We really haven't had JC step back and try any deep throws in the end zone.

I get the impression Zorn is play-calling a little bit to keep JC's lack of interception streak alive.

Most of our redzone stuff is runs, short passes, or other high percentage plays.

I can't think of many times when JC threw a pass to the back of the endzone.

I have no complaints about any of this. A win is a win and we're only taking the shots that we have to take.

This is a total red herring. We've played eight games, for 2.625 attempts per game. There are three teams that have played seven games (Vikings, Giants, Eagles) but have attempted 19 field goals in those games (2.71 per game). So... don't be too impressed/disappointed/whatever with being "#1" in this stat.

Here's a stat that does matter: Scoring Offense. 'Skins average points per game = 20.6 which ranks 15th in the league.

Would like to see that number go up a bit. But really, the only REAL numbers that matter right now; 6-2. :)

I wonder how many scoring drives (whether field goals or TDs) the Skins have had as compared to the rest of the league?...

Don't know but we are turning only around 55% of our RZ opportunities into TDs. The most frustrating thing to me is that is about what our success rate has been for this decade. One big thing is probably that we play in a division with the best RZ defense.

Agree completely. People seem to forget this is the team's first year in the offense. The fact we are having the level of success we are should be praised and bumps in the road should be expected. Zorn and Co. obviously know the redzone offense needs to improve in terms of TDs, and that improvement should come as the team continues to have success.

I would take comfort in that if not for the fact that this problem has plagued us since Norv's last season.

Archived