Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFC Playoff Picture - Heading Into Week 14

jaydogg3eb

So, were now closing the first half of the season. Its time to start keeping an eye out from week-to-week on how the NFC playoff picture is shaping up. Alot of you have shown difficulties in understanding how the standings work (tiebreakers, byes, division records, etc), so I thought I'd update this bad boy each week to help you guys out. Not to mention, it allows us to see the big picture each week when we win (notice I didnt say lose, were done with that stuff). So, going into Week 14, here's where it stands...

NFC PLAYOFF PICTURE

1. NY Giants 10 1 - BYE

2. Tampa Bay 8 3 - BYE

-------------------------

3. Arizona 7 5

4. Chicago 6 5

5. Carolina 8 3

6. Dallas 8 4

------------------------

On the outside looking in...

7. Redskins 7 4

8. Atlanta 7 4

9. Philadelphia 6 5 1

10. Minnesota 6 5

11. New Orleans 6 5

12. Green Bay 6 5

Wild Card matchups if the season ended today...

#6 Dallas at #3 Arizona

#5 Carolina at #4 Chicago

NY Giants and Tampa Bay would get first-round bye weeks.

REFERENCES:

http://www.nfl.com/standings

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

The picture will come into focus after the Giants have played some of their remaining 5 NFC East games. They have only played one NFC East game so far: Game 1 against the 'Skins. They also have Pittsburgh, Arizona and Carolina left on their schedule.

This thing's a toss up. I say take care of business and see if we can't get a home game.

Of course, I'll be happy with making the playoffs any which way. Because you don't NEED home games to win the SB: Giants last year and Pitt a couple years ago.

I don't know about a home game in Arizona, especially since you'd be looking at their first home playoff game possibly ever. (will have to check on that, I think they actually won the east once) Usually it was a 70-30 split when Dallas has played there in recent years but this year it was closer to 50-50 screwing up both teams.

I'm sick of road playoff games.

Why can't they put the Redskins in the NFC West for a few decades?

I mean, Dallas is in the East and so was Arizona for the entire 90's.

haha, as long as it wasn't the 80's with the 49ers...

Nah, I like the NFC East. Take care of your division, you're in good shape. You want to be the best, you have to beat the best.

assuming you are looking at records at this moment. atlanta at 4-2 would not be outside looking in they would be ahead of both arizona and chicago who are at 4-3 marks.

Arizona and Chicago are leading their (weak) divisions. Atlanta isn't therefore they will be screwed.

You guys realize that the Cards would come to Redskins if this holds true? Remember the team with better record now gets the home game regardless of where they are in the standings.

Seriously, I didn't know that.

Edit:Got this off of wiki

After the 2007 playoffs saw two wild card teams with better records (Jacksonville Jaguars and eventual Super Bowl XLII champions New York Giants) go on the road to defeat division winners (Pittsburgh Steelers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, respectively) during Wild Card Weekend, the NFL explored another proposal to change the playoffs so that wild card teams with better regular season records than division winners would host playoffs games. The NFL's Competition Committee withdrew the request later that offseason[17], with Atlanta Falcons president Rich McKay mentioning that they wanted the idea to simply get a discussion going. New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft was a strong opponent of the rule change, believing that all division winners should be rewarded with home field advantage over a wild card team.

Did they withdraw it or not?

Alright, first Cardinals home playoff game since Don Coryell was coach in '75.

That game was played in LA (lost). The Cardinals have never had a home playoff game and only won once in Dallas ('98). They then went on to lose in Minnesota. Their only home post season game was in winning the League Championship in '47 against the Eagles. They were the Chicago Cardinals then.

You guys realize that the Cards would come to Redskins if this holds true? Remember the team with better record now gets the home game regardless of where they are in the standings.

Some owners are interested in the new playoffs seeding change, but for now it has not changed yet (unless you can give us a link to where it has changed).

1) The rules regarding playoff seeding and home field advantage haven't changed.

2) If the season ended today (assuming this seeding order is accurate), we would play @ the Bears, not the Cards. The 4th and 5th seeds play each other, not the 3rd and 5th.

Wait.....so were not in front of the Giants???I thought we had a better divisional record. These standings are so confusing.

The Giants are ahead by a half game. Even if the Giants were also 5-2 they'd still be ahead of us from beating us that first game. If they lose this Sunday and we win, we'll go ahead of them by a half game.

Archived