Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are the Rays any different from the Marlins?

Guest sith lord

Guest sith lord

I mean, a good young team that comes out of nowhere and wins it all and get dismantled soon after. It's a fact that they don't draw good in Tampa and when it's time for some of their young talent to cash in, will the Rays be able to pay them?

Discuss.

Different because they have a lot of their really good players signed to long-term deals. Also, the 1997 World Series Marlins had a lot of high priced free agents and the 2003 team was basically a bunch of players that peaked at the right time before being auctioned off for the highest bidder.

Excellent question.

The Rays will not be doing any dismantling like the Marlins. The owner is very committed in doing whatever he can to draw crowds (free parking etc). They have loyal fans around here but since this is a new team the Rays need to win first to kick start the organization. There's a huge population down here just waiting for this team to get good. No one went to the Bucs games before they started winning. Lightning games draw good crowds. I'll say that the stadium does suck, a new one would help.

I'm still an Orioles fan, but I'll be rooting for the Rays in this WS.

i think so. werent the marlins a bunch of hired guns who were sold off as soon as they won it all? the rays just seem to be a young talented team that has made it to the big dance.

Do you honestly think that Longoria and other young talent will be with the Rays whether they win or lose? NO they will have a big market team open the checkbook and the team will be dismantled.

Check out the 1997 roster: A lot of high priced talent they picked up then discarded after the year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Florida_Marlins_season#Roster

Sheffield, Bonilla, Kevin Brown, Al Leiter, etc.

Brown was acquired though in 1996. So he had been on the team for an entire year already prior to the WS year. Sheffield was a mid-season trade.

Do you honestly think that Longoria and other young talent will be with the Rays whether they win or lose? NO they will have a big market team open the checkbook and the team will be dismantled.

Longoria signed a long-term (6 years) deal back in April. It has options for an additional 3 years past that term.

yes i do actually. they arent the padres and try to dump off contracts and he is signed to a 6 year deal that he just signed this year.

That 97 Marlins team was so ridiculous.

Bonilla, Devon White, Moises Alou, Sheffield, Darren Daulton, Jim Eisenreich, Kevin Brown.

All those names & Edgar Renteria was the guy who won the series.

The 2003 verision was vastly different. They did get hot at the right time. They also weren't blown up the next season like the 97 squad.

Derreck Lee & Pudge were the only one who weren't back. Pierre, Beckett, Pavano, Cabrera, etc all came back.

It was 2005 when they started to break that team up.

The Rays have some of their best players locked up already. Kazmir, Price, Pena, Crawford, & Longoria, are all locked up for at least 3 seasons after this.

Garza & Upton are arbitration elegible AFTER 2010

Sonnanstine AFTER 2011

They're in good shape for a couple of years.....

Tampa does not equal Miami. It's true they both have some of the same challenges being in Florida, but the two cities are very different. Both have to overcome the "new fan base" problem. You have to win to generate interest. Both have a problem with heat and humidity in the summer months, when baseball is played. Really who wants to sit outside in Miami in August. But the two cities are so different, that I don't see Tampa facing the same problems Miami had. Plus ownership makes a big difference.

Tampa/St Pete isn't a small city when you include the surrounding area. In terms of DMA (not sure if that is a good measure or not), it's 13th. About the same as Phoenix and bigger than a large number of other MLB cities (Cleveland, Cincy, Baltimore, St Louis to name a few).

Longoria is signed for 7 years.

Pena is signed through 2010, though they may dump him before '10 to get rid of $10 million in salary. And he would probably have great trade value as a lefty slugger.

Kazmir is signed through '10.

Shields is signed through '11 with option years beyond that.

Price is signed through '12.

Garza is on a one-year deal, but I think the Rays own his rights for five more. Same with Upton.

And their farm system is still packed with talent.

Their top four pitchers and a lineup built around Upton and Longoria should keep them in contention through '11 at least, I would think.

It will all come down to one question and one question only.....

Will these players be willing to continue to play for medium-range money when they know they can get a ton more from the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and the other "big spenders" in the league?

Even those who are already under contract can find ways to "shoot their way out of town" under the right circumstances.

Archived