Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

why can't I opt out of social security?

skinsaddict

I'm 40: I'll be eligible around 2030

the Baby Boomers hit the hardest from 2012+

There is no Chance i'll get the 2600 a month they say after the 23 years of putting in.

Maybe with the economic instability, more people will die of heart attacks lessening the burden on SS.

To save you from starting a 'Why the hell did I opt out of social security' thread 40 years from now. :)

40 years from now, people like him will be saying, "Why did the government opt out of paying me what i am due ?" which is why people like him want to opt out now.

SSI costs us 500 billion per year, and will never ever go away till its our time to cash in

The Iraq war will be over in the next 3 years and costs less then SSI does per year

So you won't be paying for it very much longer

SSI you will be paying for the next 40 years with no hope of getting anything out of it

A nice way of distracting us from the real issue. Good job guys!

SSI costs us 500 billion per year, and will never ever go away till its our time to cash in

The Iraq war will be over in the next 3 years and costs less then SSI does per year

SSI you will be paying for the next 40 years with no hope of getting anything out of it

Anyone that ****es about discretionary spending compared to entitlement programs has no credibility.

I just don't agree that SSI is going to evaporate. I think that's wishful thinking for idealogues who simply don't like the concept. Even though MCcain was bashed for this, I think he was right when he said SSI can be fixed rather easily.

And we will continue to pay for the Iraq war in terms of healthcare for 30,000 wounded troops for the remainder of their lives.

But if you want something more equivalent in cost to SSI, can I opt out of paying for any military costs above and beyond the per capita I would be paying in any other civilized country?

The point is, of course, that individuals can not simply opt out of pulling their weight in this country.

Social security really isn't a problem. It can be "fixed". Medicare on the other hand is heading towards disaster ( while our new democrat overlords want to extend medicare to every American--- good luck trying to pay for that). It's going to be fun ( not really) watching our entitlement system collapses.

You are only looking at costs, and not how much SS has taken in over the years. If we had been running surpluses and not deficits, there wouldn't be much of a problem. But the "borrow and spend" conservatives had to have their way.

On the other hand, how much are we going to "collect" from Iraq vs. how much we have and will spend there?

So Iraq is definitely a part of the issue.

Social security really isn't a problem. It can be "fixed". Medicare on the other hand is heading towards disaster ( while our new democrat overlords want to extend medicare to every American--- good luck trying to pay for that). It's going to be fun ( not really) watching our entitlement system collapses.

Thank you. Although "tweaking" SSI really doesn't do much to solve the impending demographic crunch

Archived