Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1983 Redskins- America's Game Series

pjfootballer

I've been watching the America's Game Series- Lost Rings, and I was curious if anyone knows if they will be featuring the 1983-84 Redskins who went 14-2 and lost to the Raiders in the Super Bowl. I saw the 1998 Vikings last night and we compare to that team.

We lost 31-30 to Dallass and 48-47 to Green Bay, both on Monday Night Football. We went 14-2 and scored 541 points to break the record and had a +43 turnover ratio that year. We dominated the Rams 51-7 in the divisional playoffs and would have dominated the 49ers if not for 4 Mosley missed field goals. We were up 21-0 going into the 4th and if he makes the 4, we're up 33-0 and there would be no Montana comback.

I won't mention the Raiders game as it makes me want to throw up every time I see the highlights. I pretty much refuse to look at those highlights.

Let me know if you find out if we will be featured and we can discuss things about that season if you want to.

I was wondering the same thing. 25 years ago and that game still pisses me off.

I was only six years old, but I'll never forget crying like a baby as my mother tucked me into bed that night after our SB party.

Fortunately, little did I know that more Lombardi's would soon come to Washington.

Probably not. Especially since we had just won it all the year before.

Perhaps they could do one on the 1972 Redskins b/c we were favored to beat the undefeated Dolphins and we had a lot of old vets on that team w/a famous coach.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but there have been 3 MR's so far: the Bills (never won a SB), the Bengals (ditto) and the Vikes (double ditto). Again, I think this part of the AG series is going to focus only on franchises who have never won even one SB.

:)

This was discussed in another thread, pj. I don't think the Redskins are going to be featured; as I understand it the Missing Rings are only about teams that have never won the big one. We don't fall into that category.

Course I've been wrong before -

No that makes sense. The first team they did was... drumroll, please... the '92 Bills... :paranoid:

Oh... and **** some Chris Carter.

No that makes sense. The first team they did was... drumroll, please... the '92 Bills... :paranoid:

Oh... and **** some Chris Carter.

I guess it makes sense. I'd rather see one on the Super Bowl runners-up honestly. America's Game has been about single seasons so far...so it seems disjointed to me to only do stories on teams that came close (but only if their franchise does not have a championship). To me, good symmetry would be to have an episode on all SB winners and all SB losers.

With this Missing Rings spin, how did they pick that Bills team instead of the other 3 years they lost? Same with Minnesota, were they really closer in 1998 than they were in the 1970s when they actually won the NFC?

I don't know...I think they should do an episode on each Super Bowl runner up and then do a separate feature/program on FRANCHISES that have come close but still don't have a ring.

With this Missing Rings spin, how did they pick that Bills team instead of the other 3 years they lost?

Probably because that was the first of the four and it was the only one of the four they actually had a snowball's chance in Hell of winning... :laugh:

With this Missing Rings spin, how did they pick that Bills team instead of the other 3 years they lost? Same with Minnesota, were they really closer in 1998 than they were in the 1970s when they actually won the NFC?

I don't know...I think they should do an episode on each Super Bowl runner up and then do a separate feature/program on FRANCHISES that have come close but still don't have a ring.

IIRC the Bills team featured in Missing Rings was the 90 squad that lost to the Giants, not the later teams that got stomped by us and that other team.

Agree on the 98 Vikings though. I don't know how you pick a team that didn't even make it to the SB over the 4 who did.

EDIT: just saw toro's post above mine, and I agree. That was the only one of the four that should have won. They outplayed their opponent that day.

IIRC the Bills team featured in Missing Rings was the 90 squad that lost to the Giants, not the later teams that got stomped by us and that other team.

Agree on the 98 Vikings though. I don't know how you pick a team that didn't even make it to the SB over the 4 who did.

EDIT: just saw toro's post above mine, and I agree. That was the only one of the four that should have won. They outplayed their opponent that day.

Well, it was more of a rhetorical question though. It's like they are doing the show on a FRANCHISE that hasn't won a Super Bowl but then boiling it down to just one season as an example. I agree, 1990 was Buffalo's best shot, but these become useless and obsolete if say, Buffalo wins the SB this year.

Again, I think having an America's Game for every Super Bowl champion and runner-up would be cooler and would last forever.

This was discussed in another thread, pj. I don't think the Redskins are going to be featured; as I understand it the Missing Rings are only about teams that have never won the big one. We don't fall into that category.

Course I've been wrong before -

Sorry about that. You know how the search function is. I guess you may be right about the team winning it the year before. But I was thinking that teams change from year to year and they were doing it as an individual year thing. Oh well. I just love to talk about that team as I still think that was the best team in the NFL to not win the SB. You're probably right and sorry for any duplicate thread.

I guess the thinking is the way they are doing it now, all 32 teams will be featured in the series. Who knows, maybe one day they will do all the teams that lost the super bowl.

From what I've heard, they're really only doing the 5 or 6 they've already completed. The series has already been produced. The reason the 83 Redskins wouldn't be included is because most of those guys are the same guys who won a ring the year before. This series is more focused on the team, meaning core roster over a couple good seasons, who came really close but never got there. Otherwise they would've had to do the Bills version 4 times. Emoticon_a-laugh.gif

Sorry about that. You know how the search function is. I guess you may be right about the team winning it the year before. But I was thinking that teams change from year to year and they were doing it as an individual year thing. Oh well. I just love to talk about that team as I still think that was the best team in the NFL to not win the SB. You're probably right and sorry for any duplicate thread.

No problem, brother. I didn't mean to come off as saying you shouldn't have started the thread; I was just referring to the other one for credibility is all. Agree that the '83 Skins were awesome. We play da Raidahs in SB 18 10x we win 9 of them handily.

:cheers:

...Again, I think having an America's Game for every Super Bowl champion and runner-up would be cooler and would last forever.

I'd go with that too. Agree that there's no question of history revising anything if they did 2 per SB, all the way down the line. That way they could rank the runners-up as an added feature, just the same way they did with the eventual champs.

No problem, brother. I didn't mean to come off as saying you shouldn't have started the thread; I was just referring to the other one for credibility is all. Agree that the '83 Skins were awesome. We play da Raidahs in SB 18 10x we win 9 of them handily.

:cheers:

No offense taken. I agree that we would have won on any other day against them. I was 15 and in the hospital at Children's in DC. I had surgery on my Aorta (Birth Defect) and had the surgury the Tuesday before we played the Raiders at RFK. My nurse was trying to keep me calm because we came back to win that game 37-35 after being down 35-20.

Not sure if they need to do an America's Game episode on every SB loser.

Would anybody care to sit through an hour of the 2004 Panthers?

I didn't think so.

The 2004 Panthers, no.

But that's because I'm more interested in older teams. Maybe in 10 years though I might be interested in the Panthers. I'm that way with the Super Bowl winners though too. I didn't watch the episodes with any of the current teams (except the 01 Pats). I enjoy the older ones. Seriously, right now who cares about the 05 Steelers?

In that light, I'd love to see one on the 79 Rams or the 85 Patriots.

I still remember that day clearly. Disgusting! Lets not ever talk about it again :)

Thinking back to that season I was too young to stay up past a certain time so my mom wouldn't let me watch the game. I would go upstairs and watch it on a black and white 3 inch screen built into a boom box lol. That's how I saw the two monday night games that we lost. Great games.

Archived