Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

if alexanders signs, when betts returns....

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

i wonder if alexander would be the #2 to portis, and we can finally have betts do punt and kick returning? hes pretty good at both, he runs downfield, something ARE is incapable of doing, and rock just doesnt have the speed to be a dangerous returner. obviously betts could be in on running plays as well, but having weapons like this seems like a good idea to me. we need to shake up our return game though, ARE and rock arent cutting it right now.

No offense but this is kinda ridiculous. I don't think Betts has ever returned a punt. I'm also sure they wouldn't keep Alexander just to have Betts return kicks. If Betts is healthy he's the number 2 back. Are you suggesting they would cut Rock since they wouldn't need him for kick returns?

As for punt returns - it's not all on ARE. The blocking is TERRIBLE! He usually has nowhere to run. That's not to say I think ARE is the best guy for the job (he may be), but it goes farther than just him.

Rock is faster than Betts, much faster. If Rock doesn't have the speed, then Betts certianly doesn't. Rock has been kicking ass at Kick Returns, and is 5th in the league in number of kick returns returned for over 20 yards, and the only other people ahead of him have 5-10 more returns that Rock has had.

I was wondering if we might get Alexander more involved in a recieving type position...kind of like a Westbrook thing I guess.

He can't catch, therefor NO!

Betts is a better recieving option than Alexander, so we will have a drop off in that department.

I was wondering if we might get Alexander more involved in a recieving type position...kind of like a Westbrook thing I guess.

Alexander is not a "3rd down back".. like JLC mentioned.. he will be here just to give Portis some rest during the game.

i wonder if alexander would be the #2 to portis, and we can finally have betts do punt and kick returning? hes pretty good at both, he runs downfield, something ARE is incapable of doing, and rock just doesnt have the speed to be a dangerous returner. obviously betts could be in on running plays as well, but having weapons like this seems like a good idea to me. we need to shake up our return game though, ARE and rock arent cutting it right now.

Rock is just fine at KO returns, maybe Betts can be the second option. In order to break kickoffs, you need to break through the first wave of players. Rock is great at that which is why we always start at the 30 when the ball is not kicked deep into the end zone.

As for punt returns, I have never seen Betts do this, so I really can't comment on it. But I would think if he was good at it, they would rather him do it than Randle El, since El is technically a starter (even though a #2 WR).

Alexander is not a "3rd down back".. like JLC mentioned.. he will be here just to give Portis some rest during the game.

Exactly. Portis will be on the field on 3rd downs, but may be on the field less on 1st and 2nd downs when he is spent.

I just pray we do not over work Portis right now. We will need him down the stretch.

I'm assuming Alexander will be active this Sunday even though we just signed him. It will be interesting to see how he performs with the 5-8 carries usually allocated to Betts.

Good question, BLC. My guess is that if Alexander plays well we either...

a) IR Betts

B) Rotate Alexander/Betts at backup RB behind Portis

c) Cut Alexander despite his play

d) Cut Rock and shift D. Thomas to KR while upgrading our RB's.

b or c even odds. a or d longshots.

Betts comes back and Alexander is gone. Simple as that. Unless of course, he busts a bunch of big runs and all you crazy people will talk about trading Portis again.

lol.....If this were to happen i would bet on it too....Portis's cap is to big cut him for Alexander we could use the money to go get #85:D

Betts comes back and Alexander is gone. Simple as that. Unless of course, he busts a bunch of big runs and all you crazy people will talk about trading Portis again.

Agreed. If things were this simple, Alexander would have been signed before now.

Betts pass catching ability is something we are definitely going to miss. I hadnt though of that until now. Alexander is worse than Portis as a pass catcher.

If Alexander produces as the #2, he may keep the job. Betts would still get a few carries, but having be the full time KR might not be a bad idea. Has he even returned punts? I cant remember him ever doing that. I dont know that he is shifty enough.

My guess is though than Betts will come back and they will each get a few carries in relief of Portis. Unless Alexander is a bust in which case he's out on his ass.

Agreed. If things were this simple, Alexander would have been signed before now.
Why would we cut Alexander after Betts comes back unless Alexander totally sucks? We may need the roster slot elsewhere, but where? And who is available? Doughty, Hamilton and Brooks are gone. The three guys we took make 53. I find it more likely we switch punters again before we jettison SA.

Exactly. Portis will be on the field on 3rd downs, but may be on the field less on 1st and 2nd downs when he is spent.

I just pray we do not over work Portis right now. We will need him down the stretch.

You cannot think that way. All you have is today, the game at hand, you need to win that in order to move forward.

Feed the beast in the east the ball and lets go! :point2sky

The more I look at this, the more it's growing on me.

If, and that's a big IF, as he's been in hibernation since we rang his bell back in that first playoff meeting, Alexander REALLY wants it, I mean REALLY wants to prove to everyone in this League that he's SERIOUS about this, and grasps his chance at being a contender for a ring again with both hands, then the possibilities of him and Clinton in the back field could be mouth drooling.

Either way, we don't lose out.

Hail.

Archived