Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you feel it yet?

HapHaszard

I was up in NYC this weekend, and last night a friend and I were talking about how the Skins were going to beat up on philthy, and this rather large woman Eagles fan comes up and gets in our face about how the Eagles are some sort of destiny waiting to happen, and how our Skins were going to go home crying.

Man it feels good to know that we got them up in Philly.

PS. She was rather large. She was like 3 Eagles fans in one.

PPS. I also feel it. Something is in the air. It is amazing. I have longed for this feeling. The last time I felt like this was when I was a freshman in High school in 1991, and we went to and won the Superbowl. Man it's exciting to be a Skins fan!!!

HTTR!!!!

Good thread, Hap. Agree with you and the other long-timers who are comparing this to Gibbs 1.0. I still haven't bought into it fully (yet), because it's a long season, 4-1 against SOLID competition is nice but like the man says, it's a marathon not a sprint.

Still, I'm 90% there baby. Only one big question remains for me, one that has plagued this team more than anything else in recent years IMHO: can we handle success?

If we take care of business in our next 3 games -- which we SHOULD do having shown what we're capable of against better teams than what we'll be facing the rest of October -- and wrap up the first half of the season 7-1 with a great chance of not only making the playoffs but also winning the East, maybe even wrapping up home-field (at least hosting ONE playoff game), then yeah, I'll really be feeling it.

HTTR

Just to clear things up for the youngins:

This isnt a state of mind, it's not a thought process, it's not a gut feeling... It is much more than that. t's a feeling way down deep that you just can't shake, you can't explain it.

It's somewhere between butterflies in your stomach and those blissful moments after sex. When you do get the feeling, you will know! And then Hang On to it for as long as possible you never know if/when it will be back.

ok i was born the in 1991 right before the SB season. I dont remember the Norv years and the 90s disappointments. I started watching the skins and becoming a fan when Spurrier became the coach, and then when Gibbs came back my parents told me how he won all the super bowls and i got really into the skins. I am a die hard fan at my young age, and i always had that feeling of we would lose that tight game or never be able to stop someone on a critical 3rd down. Now it is actually hard to admit that the 08 skins might actually be that team that dominates and is able to shut teams down. I now am going into games saying we probably will win and confident we wont be conservative and blow it. Zorn has brought a breath of fresh air to this team and community of fans that hasnt been here in a while. I know I wasnt alive in the 80s but i think the feeling i am starting to get about this team is what you all are talking about.

GO SKINS

Do you feel it yet? That feeling that all is right with the world. The feeling that our team can beat anyone, anytime, their house, our house it doesn't matter. I am starting to get that feeling, and its been a very long time since I have felt that way. Not since George Allen and then again with Gibbs 1.

Some of you younger fans probably haven't felt it before. Enjoy it, it may be fleeting or we may be on the cusp of a long and glorious string of years of real Redskins Football. Its beginning to feel like the latter. Every week we seem to be getting stronger, more confident and finding a way to win.

Its like stepping out of your 1979 Chevy Nova and sliding into one of the fantasy cars James Bond drives, the ones made for travel on roads you only dreamed about driving on. Fasten your seat belt, your in for the ride of your life, its going to change you younger fans. Your going places you have never been, seeing sites you never saw. When the ride is over you'll yearn for one more ride. :cheers:

Well said my friend! I've never experienced what "it" feels like, but if its anything like what I'm feeling now, its gotta feel pretty damn amazing.

It kind of feels like the year they started 7-1. They are winning games but not in dominanat fashion. It does not feel like 91 where you knew they were better. It just feels like they are on a role.
Man what is your problem? Didn't get good enough free seats again?

I swear, you could :pooh: gold bricks for some people and they'd whine that the toilet bowl wasn't platinum.

Yeah..there is one in every crowd. :doh:

I have to confess that I'm afraid to feel confident. I love this team with all my heart, but I'm still leery of getting my heart broken. That could have something to do with also being a Met fan, and we know how that's turned out the past few years. :rolleyes:

That is something i forgot to mention in my earlier post...except for the met fan part...thats rough. LOL...anyway it just that every time i get confident we end up losing to a team we should beat. Oakland in 05 is a good example, and others. I would say Buffalo but it was right after ST passed and it was emotional. Another factor was that Gibbs was just TOO conservative at the end of games. He would allow teams back in and eventually lose the game. But if we can reallly just pummel the next 3 teams like we are supposed to, then I think i will gain more confidence. Good teams beat bad teams badly, in the Gibbs era we would barely get by them. Not a shot a Gibbs its just that Zorn has that killer instinct. I want a show of hands of who would of thought Gibbs would have gone for it like Zorn did today on 4th down, i should see none. Gibbs built a team of character and Zorn is taking it to the next level.

At the risk of jinxing things - does it feel like we can't lose?

Its such an unusual feeling from the past 17 years.... but even when we were down big early and Philly was driving again.... I did not panic, I felt if we stuck to our gameplan we would be fine.

We have won 4 straight games by clutch O AND D at opportune times, by not making mistakes, by not shooting ourselves in the foot, by SMART, STRATEGIC playcalling and execution. Its a strange, wonderful feeling.

15-1 won't happen. But it feels like it COULD happen.... like we can win any game that we want to.

It does feel like its our year. Lord knows its time with all of the good football karma we should have built up by now. I am thoroughly enjoying this. This is a special year because I feel like the team is coming of age. Look at all of the breakout years players are having: McIntosh, Rogers, Carter, Golston, and most of all, Campbell.

It's our quarterback that has me feeling confident. He crushed 3rd down today. JC is making the leap, and it is a pleasure to watch.

I finally feel like we can win any game, any time, any place, in any weather. As a 21 year old I've never experienced anything like this...and damn it feels good. For the past few games I've been afraid of getting too happy because of the possibility of a letdown, but after this game I'm a believer. Now let's take care of business at home and blow these suckers out!

I've been a fan since 1981 and there are some similarites that I see with this team and the team of the '80's. From the coaches down to the players.

I kind of liken Jim Zorn to an up and coming Joe Gibbs, and Greg Blache to Ritchie Petibon. Then, you have Campbell to, you know who, Doug Williams. We have two excellent running backs, Portis and Betts, just like we did in the '80's, Byner and Ervin or Riggs. We have good WR's, and TE's...and that's just on offense. This can go on, and on...so, I just leave it at that.

Our defense did real good today; although, we were without J. Taylor, M. Washington, and S. Springs.

This is that special team the owner, players and other coaches (Joe Gibbs and Greg Williams) were talking about the past few years, and the fans knew we could have, considering the team that we had/have.

It is definately an awesome time to be a Redskins fan...HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Good thread, Hap. Agree with you and the other long-timers who are comparing this to Gibbs 1.0. I still haven't bought into it fully (yet), because it's a long season, 4-1 against SOLID competition is nice but like the man says, it's a marathon not a sprint.

Still, I'm 90% there baby. Only one big question remains for me, one that has plagued this team more than anything else in recent years IMHO: can we handle success?

If we take care of business in our next 3 games -- which we SHOULD do having shown what we're capable of against better teams than what we'll be facing the rest of October -- and wrap up the first half of the season 7-1 with a great chance of not only making the playoffs but also winning the East, maybe even wrapping up home-field (at least hosting ONE playoff game), then yeah, I'll really be feeling it.

HTTR

One thing about those Gibbs 1 teams was they were second half teams, they owned the second half. It didn't matter what happened in the first quarter, the second quarter you knew that it would come out all right in the second half. If they were ahead it was brutal on the opponents defense, 50 gut, counter trey, and bust you in the mouth all night. If we were behind it was even more brutal. This team is getting there in a different way, but its still a second half team. We own the second half. That's the beginning of the magic.

I agree, it's how we are closing out games that is really impressing me. We are in total command of the game by the 4th quarter. We also had a phase of play in the second quarter, having struggled a bit, where we pretty much just went run-run-run and suddenly the Eagles D stopped performing.

15-1!

The only difference that I can see between this season and last is the sideline, Gibbs is gone and Zorn is in the zone: yet the team is functioning so much better, is Coach Zorn that big a difference?

Yes, he has taken the best of Gibbs' running game and combined it with a very potent passing game. Its a hybrid system but it works and works well. Gibbs2

was not Gibbs1, Joe had to build a team out of total chaos, and I don't think he had enough confidence in what he had built. The parts were there for Zorn, but its the way he is using them that makes the difference.

One thing about those Gibbs 1 teams was they were second half teams, they owned the second half. It didn't matter what happened in the first quarter, the second quarter you knew that it would come out all right in the second half. If they were ahead it was brutal on the opponents defense, 50 gut, counter trey, and bust you in the mouth all night. If we were behind it was even more brutal. This team is getting there in a different way, but its still a second half team. We own the second half. That's the beginning of the magic.

Very good point. The 2nd has been ours. What's more, the 4th quarter has been in our stranglehold the entire year. We have finished in decisive fashion every single game. Even against the Giants we outplayed them in the final 15:00.

I remember after the Pokes scored to tie the game early in the 2nd and it looked like momentum was shifting, thinking very clearly "just get us to the 4th." I knew if we could just stay close until then we would win the game. THAT is something I haven't felt in a very long time, the confidence that when it came down to the wire, we would prevail. Not since JG's first term in fact.

Hail To The Redskins -

(they're back)

Barring any major injuries we ARE going to see a few firsts this year:

1) A FIRST round bye!

2) The FIRST home divisional game held @ FEDEX Field!

3) The FIRST home Championship game held @ FEDEX Field!

4) The FIRST Superbowl of the Snyder era!

Archived