Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot back on block/DT Michael Myers next??

Rat_Boy

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1541039.html

With their draft choice cupboard perilously bare, the Washington Redskins are suddenly brainstorming internally for ideas on how to add some choices, at least in the middle rounds. The problem is, Washington really isn't in very good position to acquire additional choices by dealing down from its current picks, and isn't about to trade any high-profile veterans like tackles Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen, linebacker LaVar Arrington and Jeremiah Trotter or wide receiver Rod Gardner. But one guy the Redskins offered up in trade talks a couple months ago, and who quietly is back on the block, is cornerback Fred Smoot. There is a lot to like about Smoot for any team that might want to make an inquiry. He's just a two-year veteran, only 24 years old, an excellent cover guy and not making very much money. While his departure would weaken the Washington secondary, some Redskins worry that Smoot is never going to be the most mature guy, and owner Dan Snyder might part with him for a high second-round choice. Snyder realizes that, at some point, Smoot is going to want big money. The Redskins will have to invest a bunch next spring, either in an extension or by using a "franchise" tag, to retain Champ Bailey, their other standout cornerback.
Should the Redskins land Miami restricted free agent Jermaine Haley with the offer sheet to which they signed him Friday -- remember, the Dolphins still have seven days to match the four-year, $4 million deal, and keep him -- Washington still won't be done shopping for defensive tackle depth. Club officials will visit early next week, ESPN.com has confirmed, with Dallas Cowboys veteran Michael Myers, an unrestricted free agent. A five-year pro, Myers is just 27 years old and the former University of Alabama star is a solid backup-type defender. The best part for the spendthrift Redskins is that Myers is not attracting a lot of attention elsewhere, would like to find a new home before the draft, and is probably willing to sign on for the league minimum base salary of $530,000 and modest $25,000 signing bonus. One reason that Haley chose the offer sheet from the Redskins over a proposal from Green Bay was the presence of Robert Nunn on the Washington staff. Nunn was the assistant defensive line coach in Miami and was hired early this spring by the Redskins as their new defensive line mentor.

Interesting stuff....

A high second for Smoot?? I think that would be stupid.

I wouldn't mind a rotation of Haley, Myers, Noble, Wilkinson and Cowsette on the inside with Wynn being able to slide down as well. However, we would still lack a playmaker and we'd still lack any young player that excites you for the future. If we were to do this I would think we should then focus on another position in the draft though. Likely defensive end. I don't see us adding Haley and Myers and drafting a tackle though.

Well if we wind up with Haley (which I think we will, because most of the time the Danny usually gets his man) -- and we also sign Michael Myers (which I think is probable, because they have probably already discussed contract parameters beforehand), we will already have Wilkinson, Noble, Haley, Myers and Cowsette as our DT's. This means IMHO:

If we still draft a DT in the 2nd round, then Wilkinson is definitely out the door, because would have six DT's, and Haley, Myers and Cowsette are not full-time starting material.

Or it may mean in the 2nd round that we don't draft a DT at all, but just draft the best available athlete at any position. This is probably the most likely scenario.

If Smoot is traded for a high 2nd round draft pick (seems likely now -- where there is too much smoke, there is usually fire), I see this scenario:

We package Smoot and a 3rd round pick in 2004, to move up in the low 1st round and pick a better DT. We then use our 2nd round pick to replace Smoot, with a bigger, faster cornerback, such as someone like: Drayton Florence, Sammy Davis or Dennis Weathersby. :rolleyes:

Myers for the money is fine....but there could be more able bodies after June 1 cuts....but if we wouldn't be looker for a starter rather just a backup then no big deal to wait......DE for sure in the draft...and we can always sign and undrafted punter or Tupa who's waiting in the wings.

I don't want to lose Smoot without a replacement but maybe they like LLoyd Harrison....I thought he could be something the year we drafted him. If and only if we can get a "impact" player with what we get for Smoot .....I could live with it....but with Champ being put on the #1 WR every game now, Smoot will have a better season.....but if this is purely a sound fiscal move to be sure to have the money to sign Lavar,Champ,and Samuels to lifelong Redskin deals then I'm all for it because Smoot isn't in their class of performance or character of this team.

hate the idea of trading smoot and it would come back to haunt us. i wonder, if we did get Haley and Myers ...might that mean good-bye to Wilkenson. i'm for keeping Big Daddy who i think could be a big factor this year but 5 DT's...i don't think so.???

by the way, i am so damn tired of hearing about smoot asking for big money on his next contract. worry about that at the proper time, don't dump a potentially fine player early because of that fear. you need 2 guys who can cover and we're lucky enough to have that.

No way I trade Smoot,top 15 pick yeah anything else shove it,Bauman is 5-8 and not DG and is unproven has a number 3 and we have no 4th cb,If you put unproven players opposite Champ thier gonna be picked on bigtime,if they trade Smoot for a 2nd rounder Danny needs to be shot,he still on are books cheap for 2 seasons if you desire to trade him do it next draft...

You don't trade a young, cheap, starting, cover corner (even if he's the #2) for anything less than a guaranteed impact player. (And I don't see any of those on the table).

Smoot got burned some last year, (and, occasionally, in his rookie year), but :

• All corners get burned occasionally.
  • Last year, our scheme allowed the other guys to match Smoot against their #1 receiver.

Let's put it this way: I wouldn't trade Smoot to get our #13 back.

If we get these two tackles, I'd guess that no further defensive linemen would be considered. I would look for our choices to be from this list: S, OT, WR, P, TE, QB, OLB, not necessarily in that order.

Unlike some of us, the Redskins will get to the point where they are happy with the quality and numbers of defensive lineman on the roster.

We may not know about it if no trade occurs but I still think Smoot will be offered up. It makes sense that we would also try to move Watson (who would be a great value for some team willing to give up a 3rd or 4th and particularly if we can demonstrate that we don't intend to cut him). Dan Snyder will find a way to get into the 1st round and acquire some additional picks.

smoot for a second is plain dumb. no way no how danny does that. at least i hope not.

i like standing pat with what we have draft wise.

2nd round: DE (assuming we get haley and/or myers)

3rd round: S

7th round: P

7th round: (gone for Haley)

sign dem boys up quick, get them into camp, and get to work!

"There is a lot to like about Smoot for any team that might want to make an inquiry. He's just a two-year veteran, only 24 years old, an excellent cover guy and not making very much money."

Then why the he11 would we trade him? If he wants too much money when his contract is up, then we'll let him go then. I'm against trading Smoot period. We're getting close to being solid at ALL positions. We don't need to do this. Draft a passrushing end or tackle and our D could be serious.

The only way we should trade Smoot is if we see a guy dropping that we really like and a team is willing to play ball. Say Suggs drops past Arizona would you trade him straight up?

You better believe I would...:cool:

Suggs for Smoot in a heartbeat.

Too bad the 'Pukes are gonna draft him. He's gonna haunt us for years to come...mark my words.

Originally posted by dchogs

smoot for a second is plain dumb. no way no how danny does that. at least i hope not.

i like standing pat with what we have draft wise.

2nd round: DE (assuming we get haley and/or myers)

3rd round: S

7th round: P

7th round: (gone for Haley)

sign dem boys up quick, get them into camp, and get to work!

Yes! Draft these positions exactly- filling up the back-up DT spots, along with the leaner, motivated BDW will allow us to get a stud DE in round 2.

I like signing the cheap, solid but not spectacular DTs for depth and competition. Sort of like a the Patriots approach, let them compete for playing time.

I DON'T like trading Smoot for anything. If the Spurrier game plan (score early and often) comes to fruition this season (and we think it should), other teams are going to have to throw the ball alot. You need two cover corners.

Maybe the defense gets really good and Smoot is willing to stay (and play opposite Champ) for less $$.

Back to the Smoot issue....

What we know...

*Got burned on numerous occasions last year

*Talks WAY to much and rarely backs it up

*Struggled learning the system... seemed confused

*Work Ethic is questioned in the media

*Will, after the 04 season, want a large contract

What we might not know.....

*Refuses to be coached

*Plays outside the system...shucking his assignments

*Trys to rely on his talent instead of game film and coaching

So..... with that said... why not trade him for a high second.... say to Detroit or Chicago. Then....we could trade that 2nd round pick for a number of other mid round picks.... such as a 3rd and 5th rounder. Then... draft accordingly...

2nd (#44) - Top DE prospect like Pace or D. White

3rd (DET or CHICAGO) - Trade down for later third fand inquire a 4th and 6th RD picks

a) Drayton Florence - CB with upside... bigger and more physical than Smoot

B) Ken Hamlin - S- His DUIs will keep him in the third due to risk

4th - Ryan Hoag WR

5th - Sam Williams - LB Fresno St.

6th - Andy Groom P

7th - James Lee or Tim Love DT

If Suggs falls past Arizona and we can trade Smoot and maybe a little more some draft pick not another player. I would have to listen to a trade deal with say Minnisota. They were interested in getting Smoot before too.

My only question is what the hell do we do at corner??? Do you think Iffy can play corner????? I know he's kinda big but it could work?? Just a thought.

Smoot has fallen more quickly in the eyes of folks here than anyone I can remember on our team. As a rookie he was better than Bailey, though, to be fair, Bailey had the top receiver all the time after five weeks of Marty's system. Last year Smoot struggled until the Tennessee game just getting his assignments down, and then he was dominating again until he fell and hurt himself against the Rams. He did struggle some to end the year. But trading him is a move that simply doesn't make sense at this point. Moving him now even if it allowed us to add a couple of improvements would expose a new weakness.

I want to see how Smoot responds to having some questions about him again. I don't like the idea of any trade involving him now, though, I suppose I could learn to like it for Suggs :).

Archived