Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Believing your eyes

Art

Nice! I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop..so far...the shoe has stayed in place...I'm afraid of being too confident in the team that I love and has burned me so many times in the past...I want to be excited..I want to be this good...but my psyche won't allow it yet...I thought I'd feel better after the Dallas win..and I do..but when asked about the Philly game..I'm in y2k Skins mode again...but I'm trying...

Hi, I'm Ldy..I'm a skins addict...I've been a Skins addict for 34 years..I can't trash talk...please help!

Don't forget the good drafting we've now come to expect. Whilst we can argue about the position drafted till we're blue in the face, it cannot be argued that we are getting a bunch of talented players through the draft. The Scot Campbell/Vinny Cerrato team are on a roll. This year's draft is looking awesome in depth as well as quality, to add to standout players from all of our recent drafts.

As Redskin fans we should all be happy right now.

It is all happening remarkably fast out on the field though. Before the Gnats game I would have been content with a losing season if JC ended the season looking good in our new system. Now if we beat the Iggles I'd be disappointed if we didn't go 7-1 in the first half of the regular season. What's up with that lmao.

Nice! I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop..so far...the shoe has stayed in place...I'm afraid of being too confident in the team that I love and has burned me so many times in the past...I want to be excited..I want to be this good...but my psyche won't allow it yet...I thought I'd feel better after the Dallas win..and I do..but when asked about the Philly game..I'm in y2k Skins mode again...but I'm trying...

Hi, I'm Ldy..I'm a skins addict...I've been a Skins addict for 34 years..I can't trash talk...please help!

You don't need any help Ldy. Us longtime fans have been a little overly cautious since the Norv years. It's gonna take more than this. Still, you have to admit you're feeling at least a little bit Zorny. ;)

Great article Art.

So now in hindsight.......was Pastabelly correct in saying Gibbs 2 was "just an average Joe?"

As I wrote. I believe Gibbs is the greatest coach in the history of the NFL. Thus, he will never be, because he can NEVER be, an average Joe. That's what Pastabelly said. He wrote that after two years Joe would be remembered as an average Joe, which is not the case. He was average in his second round, but, he's in the Hall of Fame and is remembered for the greatness he brought, and he always will be, because nothing can take that away from him.

Which is what Wilbon and most of the rest of the world tried to tell Pasta.

Yeah, well, making the playoffs twice in four years is above average. So we have THAT going for us...

Having two double-digit loss seasons in four years is below average. In total his overall was a bit below average from a coaching perspective. Probably a LOT below average strictly as a coach and probably pretty above average setting the tone and changing the organization.

The game against Philly next week is not a must win. We dont need to win it because we just beat the Cowboys, and we have 3 bad teams following that up. However, if this team manages to beat the Eagles in Philly next week, I think it will cement them as legitimate contender, as a team that plays well under adversity, can play against the best, can go into hostile areas, and doesnt have a let down when things are going well. I think if the Redskins beat the Eagles this week, you will see the collective Redskins nations give a great sigh of relief, knowing that this team is for real.

Art, I love reading your posts, they provide me: an australian with the information I have trouble obtaining and it gives me an insight to the game that although somewhat alien I still love very much, especially this team that we follow through heaven and hell. The skins this season are a revelation, the O line that has not been quite there, has performed well, giving good protection and providing running lanes for the RBs. Coach Zorn has transformed JC into a very good very patient QB, he appears to have a better understanding of the position this year. He has his self belief and he is executing well.

The Defence except for the first half of the first game has been truly magnificent, I believe that the skins will have a good season, or that is the apparition at the moment, we seem to have some depth which has been lacking for some time, also the players seem to responding well to the coaching staff. Art keep up the good work and please keep me interested in what you write....GO SKINS

Thanks for the great read Art. I think you're dead-on about the challenge ahead - avoiding overconfidence. I'm hoping that Coach Zorn has this figured out and gets the team on board. Knowing your own weaknesses is a key to good performance, and if you're too high on yourself you don't bother examining those weaknesses.

On another slightly off-topic note I admire your writing not only for content but also for your consistenly good spelling and grammar. It's nice to see your journalistic sleight of hand - especially in a day and age where those who know better often do not bother anymore.

:cheers:

Great piece as always Art. :applause:

Without wishing to be seen as "garnering any favour" from the "boss man", lol, i always look forward to your major posts, and love the fact that your pieces that hit the main website aren't club propoganda pieces, but constructive, well thought out points that, more often than not, we concur with. Whatever certain retards at the Post have to say.

Hail.

Great post. Yeah when it comes to Gibbs with me, I have a lot of cognitive dissonance. Gibbs is the coach who of course brought the team to glory, he represents my fondest memories by a mile with the franchise. Amazing guy, amazing coach.

But Gibbs 2 felt different. He brought leadership, character and a gritty resolve to the team. But he never gave me the impression that he felt his team was anything special and it struck me almost that the team played to his rhetoric.

He loved to play up how super strong the Redskins opponents are and how anybody can beat them -- that's fine -- but the play calling IMO spoke volumes that Gibbs did indeed believe it. They played not to lose and hoped to hang on to leads by the skin of their teeth as if they were trying to steal victories from superior teams regardless of who they were playing.

Gibbs 1 struck me innovative and had a go for the throat mindset even though it was masked in humility. It struck me watching the Redskins Superbowl DVDs, Theisman being interviewed and saying Gibbs was a gambler -- I thought where did that Gibbs go? Still love Gibbs and he did bring pride back IMO on his return -- but some of that old spark I thought was missing.

In a way Zorn reminds me more of Gibbs 1 than Gibbs did coming back. Granted Zorn has a distinctly different personality but like the first Gibbs, Zorn seems confident, innovative and a step ahead. And it has brought a brashness to the team.

Gibbs 2 teams seemed more IMO gritty than brash and they seemed to need to be in a bind to reach that mindset and when they won the big games it felt to me that it was more a matter of the will of the players than Gibbs out coaching the opposition -- speaking purely about the offense becuase the defense at many times was special.

In Gibbs 1 part of the hallmark of those teams as John Madden liked to say back then, it was the best coached team in the NFL. Under Gibbs 2, the saddest thing for me, was I felt for the most part Gibbs was outcoached at least from a pure tactical stand point. Under Gibbs 2 -- it was the OTHER team that made the adjustments in the 2nd half and took over the game. It was the OTHER team that came back in the last few minutes of the games.

When people talked about the Redskins on the offensive side no one was complementing their play calling -- most were doing the opposite. Teams that seemed broken at the time like the Oakland Raiders or the winless at the time Titans came into our home and beat us. There was sometimes even a feel of imcompetence -- wasting timeouts, poor clock management. The old Gibbs looked steely on the sidelines, Gibbs 2 often looked indecisive when quick decisions had to be made.

None of this is meant as a diatribe on Gibbs -- he's the best coach the Skins ever had, biggest legend, and a great amazing character -- and he did do good things on his return. But for me what's striking is Zorn as a tactician represents what I used to think of Gibbs -- innovative, decisive, confident, and a step ahead. For me its fun to watch.

Archived