Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

don banks article

KSSKIN

Washington (2-1): The Redskins might very well match last year's 9-7 record and still wind up in last place in the rugged NFC East. With Washington at Dallas and at Philadelphia the next two games, we're going to know precisely where the Redskins fit into the division landscape by the close of Week 5.

this was just a little snippet of an article by don banks on si.

i dont understand. yes these next 2 games are important but if we lose them both does that automatically dq us from the playoffs? don't get me wrong it would be huge if he could win both or great to steal 1...but if we don't the season isn't over. THEY ARE DIVISIONAL GAMES ON THE ROAD! iggles lose their 3 divisional road games are they done..or the giants??? what if those are the only 3 games we lose? I almost always see us as the underdog in road games within the division. besides we have 3 very winnable games immediately following the iggles game. i guess what i'm getting at is why does everybody consider these must wins???

If we are 0-3 in the division, the road to the playoffs getsa a lot longer and bumpier. I dont see anythng wrong with what Banks said, and I hate Don "Al Bundy" Banks. If we lose, it will depend on how we lose. If we go down fighting, to the last minute, the jury may be out until we play them again or on how we handle the rest of our schedule. If we go down throwing up all over ourselves, then it may forshadow the rest of our season. These two teams are two of the strongest in the LEAGUE. The next two games are a good barometer of how far we can go this season.

Hey, we threw up all over ourselves against New England and made the post-season. IF we lose both the next two games, it means something but it's not earth-shattering, especially given that we get all 3 at home later in the year. If we go 3-3 in the division and, say, 10-6, we might be in pretty good shape. Of course, it's waaaaayyyy early (even after Week 5) to say much of anything.

What if? Redskins go into Dallas and knocks the Cowboys off, or we lose to the Cowboys and beat the Eagles? either way you look at it, these are must win games for the Redskins. Even if we split these game 3 losses away and 3 wins at home. The most important part of this is, How do we look when and if it come down to a tie breaker for a playoff spot.

These two up coming games are must wins for the Redskins. We do not want to get behind in the division and try to make up ground latter in the season. I know there is still alot of football to be played, but I think we need a leg up in our division.

I also agree that we need to at win at least won of these road divisional games in the next two weeks to stay in the playoff hunt.

While there is a lot of football to be played, and being 2-3 isn't so bad, I think that really only holds true for any other team that isn't in the NFC East. You have to think that the Cowboys, Giants, and Eagles are likely to go on winning a lot more games. They play the NFC West and AFC North too.

If those 3 teams are really as good as advertised, the only way to catch up in wins to them is to beat them and take their playoff spot from them.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/09/26/snap.judgments/index.html#?eref=T1

i still think it would be too early to eliminate us from contention. the eagles or giants or even dallas could belly up in the 2nd half of the season. anything can happen in the nfl. yes..i agree with an 0-3 div. record the road gets tougher but it does not end:eaglesuck:gaintsuck:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck

If we are 0-3 in the division, the road to the playoffs getsa a lot longer and bumpier. I dont see anythng wrong with what Banks said, and I hate Don "Al Bundy" Banks. If we lose, it will depend on how we lose. If we go down fighting, to the last minute, the jury may be out until we play them again or on how we handle the rest of our schedule. If we go down throwing up all over ourselves, then it may forshadow the rest of our season. These two teams are two of the strongest in the LEAGUE. The next two games are a good barometer of how far we can go this season.

Don't you DARE insult Al Bundy's name by associating it with Banks!! :mad:

Don't you DARE insult Al Bundy's name by associating it with Banks!! :mad:

:) Come on, look at a pic of the two of them side by side... Long lost brothers.

I hate Don Banks. I dont mind reporters that have played the game and can give insight from experience when throwing scrutiny around. However, Banks has never played a meaningful down of football in his life and actually has a voice in the media... as people of lesser mind follow and preech his garbage. I may be mistaken, but doesnt he vote on the HOF ballot as well? That guy!?!?!

Anyways, i stopped reading SI a while back and he was part of the reason.

:) Come on, look at a pic of the two of them side by side... Long lost brothers.

I hate Don Banks. I dont mind reporters that have played the game and can give insight from experience when throwing scrutiny around. However, Banks has never played a meaningful down of football in his life and actually has a voice in the media... as people of lesser mind follow and preech his garbage. I may be mistaken, but doesnt he vote on the HOF ballot as well? That guy!?!?!

Anyways, i stopped reading SI a while back and he was part of the reason.

Exactly...at least Al Bundy played high school football! lol...

He's right. If we blow all three of our divisional road games, we pretty much have to win out to sniff the playoffs. Our Division is the elite of the league and the NFC right now, and we will probably send 2 Wild Card teams to the playoffs.

So basically you are saying that we will need to go 13-3 to get a wildcard if we lose on the road to Dallas and Philly? :dunce:

You can't call a divisional road game in September for a 2-1 team a must win. Anyone who does has no idea what the term "must win" means.

Yeah, pretty asinine to call it a "must win". On the flip side, a win would be huge and could very well start us on a roll to the paloffs. Just splitting the division would be excellent for us.

Frankly (yes, I've lowered my expectations), I'd be pretty happy is we just keep it close vs DAL and PHI... it would certainly make our home games vs. them that much more hopeful and meaningful.

Look what the guy is writing tonight in his "Snap Judgements" article on the front page of the NFL section of SI.com

Here's link to the full article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/09/28/week4.snaps/index.html?eref=T1

"• There was not a thing fluky about the Redskins' road upset of the previously 3-0 Cowboys. Washington beat Dallas soundly, even though the final score was only 26-24. This should put a dose of smelling salts under the Cowboys' noses, because while they generated talk of being the NFL's best team in the season's first three weeks, the reality is they're not even the best team in their division. In fact, they're not even the second-best team in the NFC East. I'll take the Giants (3-0) and the Redskins (3-1) over them, and the Eagles are just a half-step behind.

What a division. It's a shame the NFC East can't supply three wild-card playoff teams."

What a flip-flop.....at least he's not saying the Cowboys lost this game. Media love is finally coming around...

Yeah, pretty asinine to call it a "must win". On the flip side, a win would be huge and could very well start us on a roll to the paloffs. Just splitting the division would be excellent for us.

Frankly (yes, I've lowered my expectations), I'd be pretty happy is we just keep it close vs DAL and PHI... it would certainly make our home games vs. them that much more hopeful and meaningful.

Actually not too much considering how the NFC East was playing coming into this week. 'must win' may have been a bit over the top, but if we had lost both games, it would have put us in the role of playing catch up and taking control of the off-season out of our hands and into the hope that one of the other teams falls apart.

Now with beating the cowboys, and the eagles loss... we are sitting in a great spot to fight for the division title, not scrambling for the last wild card spot.

After watching the eagles game, there's no reason we can't go in there and pull out another win. Keeping the team grounded to go in and play like they did today will speak volumes of how good of a coach Zorn is right now. If he accomplishes that and we knock the eagles out of post season talk, we will honestly control our own destiny this season.

Archived