Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After watching DeSean Jackson and Eddie Royal.....

js79

People need to realize that the draft is a crapshoot and that looking back, there is always going to be somewhere in the draft where you wanted to pick a better player. The draft is not a one year thing. It takes a little while to determine how well these players are going to do.

It's also not a one year thing- teams that have built through the draft have done so for many seasons, over a long period of time. Look at the Patriots and Cowboys- both had a lull in between the time they were last competitive until they hit their current strides. But, no one can really argue that they are the deepest team in each conference and a huge part of that is due to their drafting.

Regardless of how the Redskins, or any team, builds, you need to have patience.

Eddie Royal and DeSean Jackson got to play their first games against what could be the two worst teams in the league.

Just saying.

While that may be true that they are playing the worst teams out there, they were playing and that is better than our guys. Thomas supposedly doesn't know the routes and Kelly who was supposed to know the routes isn't even out there because he wasn't in shape and he was hurt. Go figure?

Probably should list some of the other 2nd round receivers as well:

Donnie Avery: Inactive

Jordy Nelson: No catches

James Hardy: No catches (DNP)

Jerome Simpson: No catches (DNP)

Limas Sweed: Inactive

Dexter Jackson: No catches (DNP)

Maybe that puts things in their proper perspective.

Jason

Just to take it a step furthur: Only 3 WRs taken in the 2nd & 3rd round made a catch in week one. E. Royal (9), D. Jackson (6), and D. Thomas (1). Everyone else..........ZERO.

Not for nothing, but Hall may be the single most overrated DB in the entire league now that everyone has caught on to the myth of Roy Williams.

I agree. I didn't see the Philly game, but last night I think Royal's success was more the result of poor play by Hall. He looked awful. VERY glad we didn't go after him.

just another example of how the 'skins are clueless when it comes to the NFL draft

You can not evaluate a draft when not even a year has gone by. It's ridiculous and not fair to anyone if you do that. Especially with receivers, because in many cases, they don't really start to shine until their third season. In rare cases, you get a great rookie performance like Randy Moss. A little more often, you get a pretty good season from a Dwayne Bowe. But, you need to be patient with receivers.

Does anyone get the feeling that our two rookie WRs may be huge busts?

Granted, Malcolm Kelly hasn't played a down yet but the fact that he came into camp so unprepared shows some unprofessionalism on his part.

And Devin Thomas, in what we've seen in him in preseason, he doesn't seem too explosive or play with a lot of fire that I've seen in DeSean Jackson and Eddie Royal...

And what do those WR's have that ours don't? A QB.

We wanted to get bigger at WR that is why we went with Thomas and Kelly, don't forget Moss, and ARE, are being outplayed by these rookies as well, and both are proven game breakers. A WR is only as good as the QB that can get him the ball!

You can not evaluate a draft when not even a year has gone by. It's ridiculous and not fair to anyone if you do that. Especially with receivers, because in many cases, they don't really start to shine until their third season. In rare cases, you get a great rookie performance like Randy Moss. A little more often, you get a pretty good season from a Dwayne Bowe. But, you need to be patient with receivers.

I know it usually takes a few years for WRs to develop. Which begs the question why did the 'skins take two with their first picks? They obviously need the help in the WR core now.

You must not have seen much of Taylor Jacobs ... or Rod Gardner ... or Michael Westbrook ... or Desmond Howard. Damn we suck at drafting wide receivers. :doh:

And trading for them.

Brandon Lloyd for a 3rd and 4th. He's gone after 2 years.

Lavareneuafdjai Coles for a 1st. He's gone after 2 years.

And trading for them.

Brandon Lloyd for a 3rd and 4th. He's gone after 2 years.

Lavareneuafdjai Coles for a 1st. He's gone after 2 years.

To be fair for the Coles deal, we dealt him for Santana Moss, so it's not like we cut him like Brandon Lloyd. We're still getting a contribution from that deal, which happens to be our #1 receiver.

You can't compare the WRs yet. We have two WRs that haven't had a chance to show what they can do and they have a QB and a coach that may never complete or call a pass play.

Eddie Royal played well as the #1 WR on his team because Marshall was suspended and Jackson played the #1 role because of injuries to Philly's top two WRs.

You can't compare the WRs yet. We have two WRs that haven't had a chance to show what they can do and they have a QB and a coach that may never complete or call a pass play.

Eddie Royal played well as the #1 WR on his team because Marshall was suspended and Jackson played the #1 role because of injuries to Philly's top two WRs.

So let me get this straight... All you have to be is the #1 WR to put up numbers?

I know it usually takes a few years for WRs to develop. Which begs the question why did the 'skins take two with their first picks? They obviously need the help in the WR core now.

So we should have traded for a receiver and wasted a year of his contract by playing them in a new offensive system with a new play caller? I'd prefer to bring in some youngsters and have them grow with the offensive transition.

But....but....our guys are tall!!!! ;)

THATS RIGHT!

We chose hieght over talent, it pisses me off that teams do that, and we probibly ended up doing that. If we picked DeShawn and Royal, we would have had an uproar that the team still doesn't have a WR over 6'0", but on game day we would have been happy.

Same thing with every other position, when will people learn that 1 receiving yard or one passing yard is just as valueable from a short player, as it is from a tall player.

I DON'T think our WRs are busts, I think they will prove themselves, but the fact of the matter is, we drafted them, because they were tall.

Archived