Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After watching DeSean Jackson and Eddie Royal.....

js79

Here we go again.

One game, so we drafted busts. I will say they both looked great but HAD opportunities to make plays. Both were in the starting lineups, due to injuries and a suspension. Both practiced and participated in preseason.

Our guys weren't asked to play fulltime right off the bat.

I guess the jury is out:

Better send the memo to St. Louis, Green Bay, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Tampa, because Avery, Nelson, Hardy, Simpson, Sweed (inactive), Jackson, all 2nd round picks had a combined ZERO catches.

EDIT: Nice Job TheLongShot, beat me to it.

wow here we go again. Look, please understand that though DJ is an exceptional talent, the fundamental difference between DJ and our rookie recievers are the QB's. Ok let me put it like this. On sunday the Eagles had 3 recievers with 100+ yrds each, with the lights of (Baskett, Lewis, and Jackson). This is considering that thier #1 and #2 recievers were out. This is because the system and QB (Mcnabb) has been in place for the past 9 - 10 years. Therefore you can plug any average reciever in that situation and they will flurish. Its not that the Eagles have better recievers (because they don't), but its because they have a more established program than what we have right now. We will really have to wait and see.

Exactly. Cambell cant throw to anyone, let alone our rookie WR (one of which is not playing yet) When the O line can allow for a little more time, and our offense actually plays as a unit...then maybe, just maybe, Thomas and Kelly will produce. Way too early to even suggest they are busts. I never call in but yesterday the sports reporters on 980 were talking about this same crap. I am getting sick of them saying well look at Phillys WR corp.....look at Phillys offense and system that has been in place for 8 or 9 years!!!

While I did find it upsetting that two other 2nd round WRs had HUGE games this weekend, I don't think you can call ours busts yet. They have had no opportunities at all to prove themselves...and as long as we have JC behind center, they probably won't...unless we switch to an offense that suits his strengths (and actually stay with it for more than 1 season).

Drafting Jackson and royal, as good as they appear to be, wouldn't have done us any good - we already have 2 small, quick receivers...that's the problem (JC can't hit them, and on the rare occasions that he does, half the time they drop the pass)

say what you want about their Defense, Eddie Royal was going man to man on Deangelo Hall, and DeSean Jackson was making plays left and right, catching difficult passes, returning punts.

Not for nothing, but Hall may be the single most overrated DB in the entire league now that everyone has caught on to the myth of Roy Williams.

I wouldn't call our rookies busts just because the eagles and the broncos have an offense that has been there for a while, Desean Jackson and Royal came in to a offense that has already been working, do you really think our offense is the same as those two teams, hell they had the same coach for over 6 years for both of those teams, a new non-experiened Jim Zorn should not be compared to them coaches not after one game .

WAKE UP PEOPLE THE OFFENSE AS A WHOLE NEEDS WORK DO NOT COMPARE THEM TO TEAMS THAT HAVE BEEN DEVELOPED FOR YEARS. IT EASIER TO GET ONE PERSON ON THE SAME PAGE INSTEAD OF ELEVEN.

I mean, I definitely enjoyed watching Royal have success last night. The kid has a ton of potential and good speed. I would have loved to have seen the skins draft him. However, our guys have potential too. Drafting WR's has always been a big risk/reward move. Look at Detroit. The one thing I would point out is that Oakland's defensive line was getting no pressure on Cutler. Therefore, even good CB's like Hall could not stay tight on Royal. We've had that same problem in the past and present. Without pressure, even decent QB's will pick apart great defensive secondaries in no time. So it's difficult to say that our guys are busts when our offensive line cannot protect Campbell. If we start giving Campbell time to throw the ball, and Thomas/Kelly are still not contributing, then we talk about the b word.

Eddie Royal and DeSean Jackson got to play their first games against what could be the two worst teams in the league.

Just saying.

Exactly.

Let's how well Jackson does against Dallas on Monday night, and how well Royal does when Marshall returns and they're not playing the equivalent of a D-II college team.

Probably should list some of the other 2nd round receivers as well:

Donnie Avery: Inactive

Jordy Nelson: No catches

James Hardy: No catches (DNP)

Jerome Simpson: No catches (DNP)

Limas Sweed: Inactive

Dexter Jackson: No catches (DNP)

Maybe that puts things in their proper perspective.

Jason

Good post. I do however want to re-state what I said about players having something "special." If they do, it shows up right away as with Jackson and Royal. Thomas has shown nothing special right away. We'll have to see with Kelly.

Does anyone get the feeling that our two rookie WRs may be huge busts?

Granted, Malcolm Kelly hasn't played a down yet but the fact that he came into camp so unprepared shows some unprofessionalism on his part.

And Devin Thomas, in what we've seen in him in preseason, he doesn't seem too explosive or play with a lot of fire that I've seen in DeSean Jackson and Eddie Royal...

I thought Desean was the best WR in the draft despite his size, so his production so far doesn't surprise me.

Eddie Royal had a good game against a vastly overrated CB who is more fast than good. I think his performance is more indicative of an improved Jay Cutler than anything else.

wow here we go again. Look, please understand that though DJ is an exceptional talent, the fundamental difference between DJ and our rookie recievers are the QB's. Ok let me put it like this. On sunday the Eagles had 3 recievers with 100+ yrds each, with the lights of (Baskett, Lewis, and Jackson). This is considering that thier #1 and #2 recievers were out. This is because the system and QB (Mcnabb) has been in place for the past 9 - 10 years. Therefore you can plug any average reciever in that situation and they will flurish. Its not that the Eagles have better recievers (because they don't), but its because they have a more established program than what we have right now. We will really have to wait and see.

I agree, the jury is still out as to who got the better of this draft. BUT, that being said, Deshaun jackson looks like the real deal and quite franjly EITHER of our picks should be contributing more than they have thus far. the fact that we are still seeing desperation passes to James Thrash while our guys either don' make the field or can't seem to play in our system is very bothersome. Jackson looks like a legit punt returner and he has been tearing it up throughout the preseason and now in the regular season with the top two receivers out of the lineup with injury. He doesn't seem to be struggling to pick up the system like our guys.

I'm so tired of this crap. Just because a rookie on a team performs right away doesn't mean a rookie on another team who isn't is a bust.

So once again, we will go to the stats, since most of you who criticize in this manner do so without actually using any of them. Also, once again for probably the 100th time, I'd like to pijt out we still have 15 more games to play. I will also point out Jackson went up against a crappy Rams squad, and Royal went up against an even crappier Raiders squad.

Here are some great WRs and their rookie year performances:

Chad Johnson- 2003- 3 GS, 28 rec, 329 yds, 1 TD

Terrell Owens- 1996- 10 GS, 35 rec, 520 yds, 4 TDs

Reggie Wayne- 2001- 9 GS, 27 rec, 345 yds, 0 TDs

Plaxico Burress- 2000- 9 GS, 22 rec, 273 yds, 0 TDs

I'm obviously not saying Thomas or Kelly will ever be as good as those guys, just that some of the great WRs in the NFL right now didn't start off so hot either. Really the recurrent theme here is jealousy. I see many pining over players on other teams doing well and lamenting that we didn't, eventhough it's only been 1 game. Maybe you all should curb your emotions and exhibit some patience.

I think it's too soon. I don't think they've looked tough out on the field or come out with any fire, and I agree with that, but they also have had little experience and played in an offense thus far that has done nothing but cause other people to laugh and mock us. Until something big happens to give out team some fire and confidence it's really hard to say. I just hope that Kelly can get on the field and do something.

some of you guys need to get a clue. wah wah we got bust WR's. vinny screwed this one up again. after 1 game that thomas did nothing and kelly didnt even play in they are busts. wait till the seasons over before you jump to such a rash decision. you surely are not the brightest crayon in the box if you jump to conclusions based on one game.

When I think about Jackson's performance I think about the fact that he's got a QB throwing to him that's consistently been at the helm at one of the best offenses over the last 7 years. A 5 time Pro Bowl QB that's been in the same successful system since 1999. I also consider the fact that his team went up against a franchise that's been among the worst defensive groups for quite some time.

I also think about the fact that Jackson played in a pro spread offense that isn't very unlike what the Eagles are doing.

The thought that both Kelly and Thomas could be busts doesn't even enter my mind. Maybe that makes me a homer, but to me. anybody that's entertaining the thought that our rookie WRs aren't going to amount to anything is just foolish at this point.

some of you guys need to get a clue. wah wah we got bust WR's. vinny screwed this one up again. after 1 game that thomas did nothing and kelly didnt even play in they are busts. wait till the seasons over before you jump to such a rash decision. you surely are not the brightest crayon in the box if you jump to conclusions based on one game.

Amen. Holy hell, people, it's been one game. One. Yes, there are lots of alarming things happening right now, but many of them can be fixed over time. If we keep axing people who don't immediately perform (like we've been doing since Danny showed up) we'll be in this perpetual adjusting phase forever. Give Campbell a chance to get comfortable with the offense and his new receivers before we write them all off. Patience, people. Patience

Archived