Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brooks vs. Frost Week 6 err 5 did the Redskins make the right decision? (bump)

iMeast

You are 24. Is your career going to go to **** in 4 years? Is that your apex? There are kickers in the NFL in their mid forties. Frost is 28.

I'm not going to ask anybody to name 50 shanks of Frost's. Garbage fantasy argument. How about naming a few games he lost for us. Just a few? How about 2? 1? How many games have punters ever won for any team? We'll see how the punting competition works out. Surprise, some of you were saying Frost couldn't even find a job.

This is the last time I am going to show you these stats, in the last 4 years Frost has been a full time punter, he has shown little improvement.

'04 w/Clev: 40 yd avg/35.4 net avg

'05 w/Was: 40.4 yd avg/36.7 net avg

'06 w/Was: 42.9 yd avg/36.7 net avg

'07 w/Was: 41 yd avg/36.4 net avg

Frost was only able to put up mediocre numbers, and was never able to show any improvement in the 3 years he was with the Skins. Brooks had better numbers than what Frost did this preseason, and Frost had his chance to prove himself the last 3 seasons, and obviously the FO wasn't happy with the lack of improvement by Frost. The only thing Frost could do consistently was put up below average numbers and be inconsistent at the worst possible times. I know you're upset about having to get rid of that Frost jersey you had custom made, but you are going to have to let that go.

This is the most insane thing that I have ever seen. Before Frost was cut, we had 2 threads go to double digit posts TO TALK ABOUT A PUNTER BATTLE.

Now that Frost has been cut, those same people that were arguing to keep him are trying to make their case (moot point mind you) AFTER ONE GAME.

My god this board has gone to hell...

Glad you don't coach the team. You understand absolutely nothing about field position. A punter is a key part of keeping and gaining field position throughout the game. And a bad punter with tendency to shank the ball for 13 yard punts at key times during a tight game is a game killer.....also known as a "Frost".

Dammit... don't you realize that the punter needs to be a top tackler?

Isn't it funny thought that someone who assigns such little value to a punter sure has a lot of energy to talk about it. I know... I know... "I don't think we should wasted a draft pick... blah blah blah."

In my opinion, I'm not sure if we could have gotten better value using a 6th on another position. Let's face it using a 6th on a punter is like using a 2 or third on another position. But regardless. Frost once again needed competition because he under performed last year at critcial moments... end of story.

This is the last time I am going to show you these stats, in the last 4 years Frost has been a full time punter, he has shown little improvement.

'04 w/Clev: 40 yd avg/35.4 net avg

'05 w/Was: 40.4 yd avg/36.7 net avg

'06 w/Was: 42.9 yd avg/36.7 net avg

'07 w/Was: 41 yd avg/36.4 net avg

Frost was only able to put up mediocre numbers, and was never able to show any improvement in the 3 years he was with the Skins. Brooks had better numbers than what Frost did this preseason, and Frost had his chance to prove himself the last 3 seasons, and obviously the FO wasn't happy with the lack of improvement by Frost. The only thing Frost could do consistently was put up below average numbers and be inconsistent at the worst possible times. I know you're upset about having to get rid of that Frost jersey you had custom made, but you are going to have to let that go.

I didn't ask for those Brookesque stats, I asked what game Frost cost us.

FYI, some net stats from NFL teams week 1.

Vikes 27.8 Lost both

Seagulls 30.0 Lost both

Fins 30.6 Lost both

Titans 30.7 Won game, lost punting battle

Jags 31.2 Lost game, won punting battle

Bears 34.0 Won game, lost punting battle

Skins 34.9 Lost both

Browns 35.0 Lost both

9ners 35.0 Lost both

Saints 35.7 Won game, lost punting battle

NYG 36.2 Won both

Colts 36.5 Lost game, won punting battle

Pukes 37.0 Won both

Bengals 37.1 Lost both

Falcons 38.3 Won game, lost punting battle

Broncos 38.5 Won game, lost punting battle

Pats 38.8 Won game, lost punting battle

Rams 38.8 Lost both

Jets 39.0 Won both

Texans 39.0 Lost both

Raiders 39.2 Lost game, won punting battle

Chiefs 39.5 Lost game, won punting battle

Lions 40.0 Lost game, won punting battle

Bucs 40.4 Lost game, won punting battle

Bills 40.6 Won both

Steelers 41.3 Won both

Eagles 42.0 Won both

GB 42.6 Won both

Painters 44.0 Won game, lost punting battle

Chargers 44.4 Lost game, won punting battle

Cards 45.0 Won both

Ravens 46.0 Won both

In 7 of 16 games, teams outpunted their competition and lost. Some by the largest margins in this comparrison. The guy we cut outpunted the guy we wasted a pick on. I don't credit either GB's win or our loss on punting. But you build your team around the trenches, not a rookie punter. Shove those numbers up your Madden.

The main thing to realize about Frost is:

Not only was there no hang time in the line drive punt he made last night, he also shanked one out of bounds too! HAHA

You can't judge a player after one game. They both were making debuts on national television. Brooks will prove to be the better option in the long run.

Brooks is a rookie. His first game happened to be nationally televised and all in all he did avg. No shants and he did boot one 53 yards. He will get better as time goes and he appears to be the one solid player taken in this years draft.

He will be our future punter and if he continues to improve he will be one of the great ones. He did very well in preseason for a first timer. Stop comparing him to a guy(Frost) that has played in the league a couple years. If you want a stat compare them 4years from now.

Yep. We were smart to build our team around a rookie punter who might someday be better than the guy we cut. Would a 6th round lineman have done us much good this year? Hell no. If you even get lucky with a late rounder, they take a year or so to develop. Same with CB's. And next year, when we are in the same exact position with aging, injured old lines (only another year older) and need to fill 6 or 7 slots, so what if a few of our old guys passed away or went senile. We'll deal with that then. Of course, some of our skill guys will be gone too, so we are setting up a future rebuild in about 2 years. I can't wait. Go Brooks!

:doh: Here's a clue. That one 6th round draft pick wasn't going to rebuild our entire offensive line. Just let go of your anger that the Skins "wasted" a draft pick on a punter. He was by all accounts the best college punter of the last 15 years, and he'll be a fine NFL punter.

And contrary to your other arguments, Derrick Frost too often shanked punts in key situations - mainly when the offense was backed up deep in its own territory. Another trend I noticed with Frost - he used to boom punts around midfield, so that his 50+ yarders resulted in touchbacks.

It isn't like Frost is some old washed up punter that is about to retire with no upside of his own, he is 27, and only 4 years older than Brooks. Punters can last a long time too, Frost could still have 10+ years in him, there was no reason to cut Frost now if he was better, age shouldn't work against him, there is only a 4 year differance.

It isn't like Frost is some old washed up punter that is about to retire with no upside of his own, he is 27, and only 4 years older than Brooks. Punters can last a long time too, Frost could still have 10+ years in him, there was no reason to cut Frost now if he was better, age shouldn't work against him, there is only a 4 year differance.

Frost did not show that he was better than Brooks. In addition, Frost showed for 3 years that he was a streaky, inconsistent punter. The Redskins got a younger, cheaper, punter just as good as the one they let go.

So I'm surprised that people ***** and moan about it as if Derrick Frost was Ray Guy reincarnated, or that using a 6th round pick on Brooks crippled the future of the franchise.

I wish Frost the best in his NFL career - he gave the Skins his best for 3 years. It was best for him to move on, though.

You are 24. Is your career going to go to **** in 4 years? Is that your apex? There are kickers in the NFL in their mid forties. Frost is 28.

I'm not going to ask anybody to name 50 shanks of Frost's. Garbage fantasy argument. How about naming a few games he lost for us. Just a few? How about 2? 1? How many games have punters ever won for any team? We'll see how the punting competition works out. Surprise, some of you were saying Frost couldn't even find a job.

If I wasn't producing and only producing in the bottom 1/4 of my field or whatever Frost was in I'm sure I would be canned as well.

He might not have lost us that Seattle game last year but he certainly didn't help. How many 6th round picks won a team a game, since thats the pick you think we wasted? We aren't asking the punter to win us the game, in fact I don't really think any one player ever wins or loses a game. However combined bad performances in any of the three groups (special teams, offense, defense) will lose you a game.

Frost did not show that he was better than Brooks. In addition, Frost showed for 3 years that he was a streaky, inconsistent punter. The Redskins got a younger, cheaper, punter just as good as the one they let go.

So I'm surprised that people ***** and moan about it as if Derrick Frost was Ray Guy reincarnated, or that using a 6th round pick on Brooks crippled the future of the franchise.

I wish Frost the best in his NFL career - he gave the Skins his best for 3 years. It was best for him to move on, though.

Not to mention adding a new punter that was slated as the best punter in college last year add alittle excitement to the preseason. You want to see the guy do well. Nothing against Frost hope he does well.

Archived