Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Possible Defensive Shuffle

method man

If the run defense doesn't improve next week against the Saints, what about moving Jason Taylor to SLB, Marcus to the bench (as a situational player), and either Erasmus James or Demetric Evans to the starting lineup?

This makes sense all across the board. Evans and James have the bulk to do a good job of stuffing the run. Taylor has shed weight in recent years to be a 3-4 LB like he was in Miami and he weighs less than 250. Keeping Marcus as a situational player would give us linebacking depth and put less wear on the injury-prone Washington's tires. I realize that the duties of a 3-4 LB are different from a 4-3 SLB but I think Taylor has the athleticism to do things like take tight ends in pass coverage. To make use of his pass rush skills, we can always move him to DE on passing downs and we can always send him on blitzes.

I stated that earlier that this is not an overreaction but is a possible reaction to a potential poor run D showing against the Saints. I hate to break it to you buddy, but, at this point, Marcus is average. He is definitely not the Pro Bowler that he used to be in 2004 kind of like Cornelius Griffin.

I stated that earlier that this is not an overreaction but is a possible reaction to a potential poor run D showing against the Saints. I hate to break it to you buddy, but, at this point, Marcus is average. He is definitely not the Pro Bowler that he used to be in 2004 kind of like Cornelius Griffin.

:applause::applause:. I do not want to see him here next year. He repeatedly gets burned by TEs in pass coverage and doesn't have the speed to get to the QB from the LB position anymore.

Many might disagree but I would like to replace MW, and Mike Sellers, Pete Kendall with players currently on the roster or through the draft next year

Guess Im one of the few who thinks MW is good there. No he's not a pro bowler LB but theres only what? 5 or 6 of those in each conference and according to the NFL/fans we dont have any.

I dont like the idea of moving JT, hes a monster at what he does where hes been at so let him try to keep doing it there.

Marcus' play has been sliding a bit from what I've seen. I still like him though, and I do think he should be kept in as a situational player to try and blitz the QB. I saw him making some good moves in a LT type style, not quite the player LT was (by any means) but playing his sort of position, a pass rushing LB/DE.

Sad to see what has happened with Marcus Washington...that dude used to ball. His game has seriously declined. Doughty needs to see the bench now, not just be replaced in the off season.

Not sure what Doughty did wrong?

If anything, the weakest link on our D right now is Rocky Mcintosh. Marcus and London were always around the ball. Doughty was not attacked, and his name was rarely said. He also pressured Eli a few times.

Some of you are just biased. It's weird.

Guess Im one of the few who thinks MW is good there. No he's not a pro bowler LB but theres only what? 5 or 6 of those in each conference and according to the NFL/fans we dont have any.

I dont like the idea of moving JT, hes a monster at what he does where hes been at so let him try to keep doing it there.

He was the DPOY as a 3-4 LB. He was great at being a 4-3 DE like 3-4 years ago but now he doesn't have the bulk anymore. I am all for doing what is best for the team and I am willing to bet that JT would give us what we need as the SLB and with a bigger guy in at the other DE spot on the strongside, we can handle the run better.

If anything, the weakest link on our D right now is Rocky Mcintosh. Marcus and London were always around the ball. Doughty was not attacked, and his name was rarely said. He also pressured Eli a few times.

While I agree that Doughty didn't do that badly in the Giants game, you're right that they didn't really attack him (not sure why, everyone else seems to). But I would expect Brees to expose him on Sunday. He is good for depth, but definitely the weakest link, at least when everyone is healthy. But is Moore healthy?

It's too bad, cause Doughty is likeable, but he needs to be benched.

I wouldn't necessarily support a full-time switch, because Taylor would probably be better on the line rather than standing up, much like Andre Carter before. It might just take a while for Taylor to get in proper condition in trusting his knee to hold up.

I do agree moving him around and trying to show more looks on defense. I know that Blache has tried to simplify the defense from the more complicated schemes of Gregg Williams, but it can't hurt to have some more stunts/shifts/showing blitzes type stuff. And I'm sure they have plenty of that in the defensive packages, just would like to see some better matchups presented to prevent play like the 1st half against the Giants when they moved on us at will.

or y not jsut swap marcus for taylor.

Washington use to be a DE in college he is a very good run stopper as well.

I think he'd get handled easier by the massive tackles in the NFL versus college players. Plus, he'd likely get more injuries playing in the trenches and having constant contact, rather than in space off the line.

Again, situational switches can work, but I don't see it as any full-time solution. We used Washington quite a bit as a pass-rushing end in 3rd down situations last year. If I remember, he even worked out on the D-line in training camp as much as at LB. This year, Blache wanted Washington to concentrate back on LB to get back to his prior form.

Doughboy is soft when he gets to Eli he has to get the sack, like Landry did. Marcus is injury prone and has maybe lost a step, but dont think that a DE can do his job better. They will drag Jason up and down the field and we will once again finish the year with a pathetic number of sacks. We need to get sacks; I dont know why we refuse to try stunts even against immobile QB's

Doughty is supposed to help stop the run. All I saw from him was missed tackles and him getting trucked. He got Landry trucked as well.

Archived