Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HELP!! I'm scared my kid won't be a Redskins fan!!

skinsfan4221977

My son is 21 1/2 months old. He has had several Redskins shirts and recently got his own jersey. At night, he hands me his stuffed Redskins hog and signals for me to make it sing "Hail to the Redskins" to him. He gets into it when I celebrate touchdowns. But being less than 2, he does not follow the game well. As a matter of fact, he even gets bored.

None of this concerned me until recently. Today, I was watching football (non-Redskins) when he wandered out to the living room to watch kids shows. This is fine, but then my wife jumped in the shower and I went to the living room to keep an eye on him. Because he has MANY other forms of entertainment other than TV, I switched the channel back to football. My wife got mad at me and said I'm selfish. I pointed out that he barely noticed (he whined for like a second and then found something else to do). But as time went on, he grew really restless and I felt a little guilty. So I started watching online on my laptop and let him have the TV for kids stuff.

But I'm worried. My wife is not a Skins nor a football fan and hates it when I am all-consumed by the Skins to the point of obnoxiousness. Because my child is a boy, I imagine he probably will get into football when he's old enough. But what if he's not a Skins fan? Nothing I can do about it, I guess. It's his choice. We live in Giants and Pats country. But it's a family tradition. My dad is a Skins fan and effectively brainwashed me to be an even bigger Skins fan and a football fan too.

I have a question for the parents of Skins fans and non-Skins fans (if there are any parents of those kids on here):

1. How old was your child when he first got into football?

2. How did you effectively brainwash your child into becoming a Skins fan?

3. Have any of your children turned out to be fans of other teams and not liked the Skins?

4. Are any of you the parents of BOYS who are just not into football? If so, does it pain you not to be able to share this passion with them?

By the way, in case there are any non-humorous people on here, I use the word "brainwash" in a joking sense (kinda!)

My son is 8 months old, and I have the same problem. My mom is a puke fan and my wife has no interest in college ball. But I continue to demand that he is a skins fan. He has 2 skins outfits and will get a jersey soon. Now is too early to tell, I became a skins fan when I was about 4 or 5 when I started following the games and remembered the players names. I even stayed a skins fan through all the crappy years when I got made fun of for being a skins fan. Don't worry, he will continue to see the light.

Dude, he's gonna be fine. He's 2 years old for Pete's sake. I was 4 years old when the Redskins won the superbowl in 1991. Do I remember any of it? Of course not. I am still a die hard skins fan even though I can remember about 3 winning seasons out of the skins for my entire life.

Long story short, he's 2 years old! :) Cheers mate.

No way, I love him too much!

(Although I might check circus openings if he's a Giants or Cowboys fan! :D:D:D

But seriously, I REALLY want to share this with my son (especially since I can't share it with my wife!)

Seriously, football is too complicated for toddlers. Get him used to the team colors in his room, then when he is 8 or 9, take him to a game and give him lots of cotton candy and treats. By 10 or 12, he may become a fan. If not, he's probably gay.

well my dad got me early!

we bought the NFL Sunday Ticket in 1994 the first year it came out. Since then I've missed 3 redskins games.

I was 5 when my pop began sittin me down with him to watch the skins. I still remember the 1991 playoffs when we beat the Falcons(I was 5) and threw all the yellow seat cushions in the air, then we beat the Lions(lions upset dallas in the division round), then we watched the super bowl.

so my advise, is when he is about 5 sit him down with all skins gear on to watch the games. Give him nerf footballs to play with when he is young, buy him burgandy and gold gear, and just see. Thats what my pop did with me and it worked. talk bout the good ol days we had!!!

I live in AZ, I went to my first game when i was 5, 1991 against AZ. We went every year until the Cards moved outta the division. It was a sunday morning we always looked forward to. Gettin Redskin'd up, driving 3 hours to Phoenix, stoppin at the mall before the game to get more gear, then going to the game!!!!

Seriously, football is too complicated for toddlers. Get him used to the team colors in his room, then when he is 8 or 9, take him to a game and give him lots of cotton candy and treats. By 10 or 12, he may become a fan.

10 or 12? That's too late man. If he's not a fan before then you've probably already missed the boat.

I recall watching us beat the Dolphins in Super Bowl XVII like it was yesterday, and I was only 7 and a half.

Seriously, football is too complicated for toddlers. Get him used to the team colors in his room, then when he is 8 or 9, take him to a game and give him lots of cotton candy and treats. By 10 or 12, he may become a fan. If not, he's probably gay.

Seriously, football is too complicated for many on the Redskins' roster.

My brother is a Cowgirls fan and he has a 3 year old daughter who he is trying to brainwash into being 'their' fan. Last year, because she didn't know any better, she said what he wanted to hear. Fortunately, this year she has changed her mind and told her father that she is not a 'Girls' fan, she likes the Redskins. Needless to say, my brother is highly upset!!! Way to go Nadia (that's her name)!!!! Go Skins.

10 or 12? That's too late man. If he's not a fan before then you've probably already missed the boat.

I recall watching us beat the Dolphins in Super Bowl XVII like it was yesterday, and I was only 7 and a half.

Yeah, 10 or 12 to know enough about the game to be able to enjoy it. Before that, you are just sharing your fathers excitement (which is a good start). I would start a toddler out with a Redskins Teddy bear, etc. At 8 or 9, taking him to a game is a good idea for exposure and bragging rights to his friends. Plus the crowd energy is probably a cool new experience (but is sometimes frightening to a younger child). And he can learn some of his fathers favorite players names. But don't expect him to be able to understand the game until about 10. There are a lot of 20-80 year olds on this very board that have trouble grasping the game.

Yeah, 10 or 12 to know enough about the game to be able to enjoy it. Before that, you are just sharing your fathers excitement (which is a good start). I would start a toddler out with a Redskins Teddy bear, etc. At 8 or 9, taking him to a game is a good idea for exposure and bragging rights to his friends. Plus the crowd energy is probably a cool new experience (but is sometimes frightening to a younger child). And he can learn some of his fathers favorite players names. But don't expect him to be able to understand the game until about 10. There are a lot of 20-80 year olds on this very board that have trouble grasping the game.

I guess this sounds about right...maybe I was just a little ahead of the curve. By the time I was 9 I already had a pretty extensive baseball card collection and could recite the Skins' starting lineup. I was hooked from a very early age.

I guess this sounds about right...maybe I was just a little ahead of the curve. By the time I was 9 I already had a pretty extensive baseball card collection and could recite the Skins' starting lineup. I was hooked from a very early age.

Yeah, at that rough age the exact years don't really matter all that much. Some kids mature faster than others.

I was born, raised and still live in California and have always been a Skins fan. That's because from an early age I was told about the mighty Redskins and how evil the Cowboys are. How Michael Irvin was only good because he could push off recievers without a flag, how the Hogs were the greatest O-line in history and could wear down any defense known to man, how Darrell Green tracked down Dorsett when that had never been done before. When your son gets older and he sees the big hits you can tell him the Skins once had the most ferocious hitter the game has ever know, Sean Taylor, and how Santana Moss burned the over rated evil Cowboy Roy Williams. Tell him about Joe Gibbs returning to the team and creating a team based on character and unity while the Mchael Vick was going to jail and the evil Cowboys were signing criminals. Tell him about our team and players, and make them out to be heroes, make them out to be larger than life and he will love them as much as you do.

My son is 21 1/2 months old. He has had several Redskins shirts and recently got his own jersey. At night, he hands me his stuffed Redskins hog and signals for me to make it sing "Hail to the Redskins" to him. He gets into it when I celebrate touchdowns. But being less than 2, he does not follow the game well. As a matter of fact, he even gets bored.

None of this concerned me until recently. Today, I was watching football (non-Redskins) when he wandered out to the living room to watch kids shows. This is fine, but then my wife jumped in the shower and I went to the living room to keep an eye on him. Because he has MANY other forms of entertainment other than TV, I switched the channel back to football. My wife got mad at me and said I'm selfish. I pointed out that he barely noticed (he whined for like a second and then found something else to do). But as time went on, he grew really restless and I felt a little guilty. So I started watching online on my laptop and let him have the TV for kids stuff.

But I'm worried. My wife is not a Skins nor a football fan and hates it when I am all-consumed by the Skins to the point of obnoxiousness. Because my child is a boy, I imagine he probably will get into football when he's old enough. But what if he's not a Skins fan? Nothing I can do about it, I guess. It's his choice. We live in Giants and Pats country. But it's a family tradition. My dad is a Skins fan and effectively brainwashed me to be an even bigger Skins fan and a football fan too.

I have a question for the parents of Skins fans and non-Skins fans (if there are any parents of those kids on here):

1. How old was your child when he first got into football?

2. How did you effectively brainwash your child into becoming a Skins fan?

3. Have any of your children turned out to be fans of other teams and not liked the Skins?

4. Are any of you the parents of BOYS who are just not into football? If so, does it pain you not to be able to share this passion with them?

By the way, in case there are any non-humorous people on here, I use the word "brainwash" in a joking sense (kinda!)

just beat him with a sock full of oranges

Are you really worried because your 21-month-old doesn't have any interest in a three hour long game he can't even begin to understand? Really?

With that aside, this thread reminds me how glad I am that my parents let me be a fan of the home team. Dad's a Giants fan (from Connecticut, but grew up before the Patriots were formed) and mom's a Colts fan. I grew up in NoVA though, and they never bought me anything but 'Skins gear even when I was too young to know the difference.

get back to us in 5 years if he still prefers ice dancing to 'Skins games.

:rotflmao:

It bewilders me how some (straight) men have absolutely no interest in not just football, but sports at all. :doh:

Example: Emo kids.

And families who come in to eat at the restaurant I work at with their kids on Sundays, during football season, where there are no TVs. I feel that these husbands have no balls.

Archived