Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Hang time lands Brooks job

Thinking Skins

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/sep/01/hang-time-lands-brooks-job/

Hang time lands Brooks job

David Elfin (Contact)

Michael Connor / The Washington Times Durant Brooks (right) won the punting battle over Derrick Frost because of hang time and consistency.

The punting battle between rookie Durant Brooks and Derrick Frost came down to hang time and consistency. Frost never proved he could deliver either to the satisfaction of the Washington Redskins, and the three-year incumbent lost his job to Brooks as a result.

"It was based on the last three years that Frost was here ... on Durant and competition this year and ... what we've seen in Durant and his continued improvement," coach Jim Zorn said Sunday.

Brooks, the nation's top punter as a senior at Georgia Tech in 2007, admitted he was worried about making the cut.

"It was really tough," said Brooks, who had a better net average and hang time than Frost during preseason. "It helped me to mature quickly. Offense and defense can have a good play after a bad play. It's hard to come back from a bad punt. Saturday, I was tired of waiting around [to learn the news], so I came to get a workout in and found out that way."

(Click the link for the enitre article)

This is a common argument amongst the Brooks backers/Frost haters and the blind others. Although the numbers looked to be so dead even, it seemed that the hang time on Brooks's punts was so much better that he wasn't outkicking his coverage. I guess thats not just an argument being made on Extremeskins (so maybe us fans do know a little something).

Plus, even though their numbers were very comparable, even with Frost averaging just a little bit more, he has had 3 years in the league and that's the best he's ever played. Brooks is a rookie and he is already performing as well as Frost, so imagine him in 3 years.

Plus, even though their numbers were very comparable, even with Frost averaging just a little bit more, he has had 3 years in the league and that's the best he's ever played. Brooks is a rookie and he is already performing as well as Frost, so imagine him in 3 years.

This is an EXCELLENT point that cannot be overlooked.

And the fact that Frost's best kicks were line drives that allowed no opportunity for coverage. His best punts yielded the longest returns.

That sums it up for me. It's all about the upside with Brooks.

This was a forgone conclusion when we used a draft pick to take Brooks.

I too looked mentioned the hang time in other threads. Brooks also did blast a few in preseason. He's exactly what we expected of a drafted punted. He will be the punter for years to come.

What got me was the shank by Brooks against Jacksonville. It had me disappointed and I just hope that he doesn't do that in pressure situations.

What got me was the shank by Brooks against Jacksonville. It had me disappointed and I just hope that he doesn't do that in pressure situations.

Of Brooks' 3 punts against Jacksonville.... which one was the shank?

(1) D.Brooks punts 35 yards to JAC 12, Center-67-E.Albright, fair catch by 11-R.Williams.

(2) D.Brooks punts 37 yards to JAC 17, Center-67-E.Albright, downed by WAS-95-C.Wilson.

(3) D.Brooks punts 42 yards to JAC 28, Center-67-E.Albright. 38-B.Witherspoon to JAC 31 for 3 yards (36-N.Broughton).

Of Brooks' 3 punts against Jacksonville.... which one was the shank?

(1) D.Brooks punts 35 yards to JAC 12, Center-67-E.Albright, fair catch by 11-R.Williams.

(2) D.Brooks punts 37 yards to JAC 17, Center-67-E.Albright, downed by WAS-95-C.Wilson.

(3) D.Brooks punts 42 yards to JAC 28, Center-67-E.Albright. 38-B.Witherspoon to JAC 31 for 3 yards (36-N.Broughton).

The second one yu have listed was a shank. It bounced 11 yards before it was downed. If you ask me, that was a lucky bounce....But if you ask Brooks, I'm sure he'll say he planned it that way. :)

I'm glad this article mentions the large disparity in net yardage between Frost and Brooks. What Wise was missing yesterday in his evil draft conspiracy rant was that Brooks' kicks, while a yard shorter in average, had considerably more hangtime and thus more time for our coverage team to be in position when the returner made the catch. Only looking at the gross distances is just skimming the surface of what the punter needs to do.

:applause:

You can also add in the fact of Frost's numbers being boosted by having two (2) more punts than Brooks.

The second one yu have listed was a shank. It bounced 11 yards before it was downed. If you ask me, that was a lucky bounce....But if you ask Brooks, I'm sure he'll say he planned it that way. :)

That ball was on its way inside the ten yard line before Chris Wilson's brain took a vacation and he kicked the ball.

"It was based on the last three years that Frost was here ... on Durant and competition this year and ... what we've seen in Durant and his continued improvement," coach Jim Zorn said Sunday.

Bravo! I seem to remember a thread where the Brooks supporters used Frost's past performance + kicks beyond the coverage team (bad hangtime) to argue in favor of Brooks. Well, looks like the coaches also looked at all that.

While I do believe that this whole "competition" was purely to see if Brooks could handle being pressed, with the ultimate intention of letting Frost go, it's good to see the "reasons" that Frost was let go were for all the same reasons that the Brooks camp was arguing.

You are right and I think that pretty much sums up everything in this "battle."

I think that is b/c Brooks was not known as a pooch punter in college, and that's the type they had him do in the game.

He has been working on it a lot in practice, though, I believe.

He did them pretty good, except the one you mentioned, but it worked out.

He'll get better.

Archived