Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maybe Rock will be cut for Mason?

TD_washingtonredskins

Cutting Rock for Mason would be a huge mistake. Rock contributes each and every game with his kick returns and ST tackles. Rock has experience at RB in real NFL games against 1st string talent. The only true knock against Rock is his top speed. Mason has no real NFL experience and provides minimal ST value. Mason will only take up a much needed roster spot while he sits on the bench. He needs to be cut or put on the practice squad. We need that spot for D-line or O-line back ups.

Solution: Find a team to trade Betts to!
Only if we got super value in the deal. Betts is a real asset to this team, he's proven that. It would be a good way to keep Mason, but no one will offer us what Betts is worth. I think he is worth more than Alexander to the team, and he's still looking for a job.

DT has done nothing to prove he can replace Rock on ST. His return's are marginal at best, and who has he tackled?

Thinking about this more, keeping 6 WR and taking a chance on retaining MM on the PS may be the best option. DT and MK have done nothing so far (the later can't even make it on the field). We will need some backup to our starting WR's. And despite all the mancrush for MM on this board, I think Rock is the better true RB and know without doubt he is the better STer.

Ugh why do people post when they have NO IDEA what they are talking about. Its not an injury it was a scope people. :doh:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was word he had some kind of stress fractures, or some KNee thing similar to what Rocky had before we even drafted him. Yes he had a scope done, but from what the Coaches have been saying, it sounds like something isn't right. Why now let him sit and heal up properly rather than rushing him onto the team, and having him get seriously hurt.

No chance Jansen or Kendall get cut.

I'm of the opinion that Wade will be the first one gone, and then we might be surprised by seeing Lorenzo Alexander cut. Shocking though that might be. However, if Zorn is confident in Reinhart starting at the Guard position, Kendal might not be the starter, you just don't know at this point. If Kendall isn't the starter then you need another guard more than a tackl so wade is gone and geisinger or Crummey stays I think. I'm fairly confident Fabini makes the squad though, and I agree I doubt of the two that Jansen would get cut. (In no way was I saying ALL of them were getting cut, I was just saying that in the math world where we keep 8-10 OL depending on how many I can see scenarios where 1 or two of the names on that list might not be here come the Giants game. Who would have thought Rynaldo Wyn or Big Joe would be gone last year?

It would be very hard for the offense that we're running to carry only 5 WR's. Because we'll be running a lot of 4 WR sets and if one or two guys were to get nicked up during the season and had to sit for a game or two (which as we learned last year is definately possible) we will be in a bad situation trying to run our offense. We will keep 6 WR's.

I also don't believe they will IR Kelly but I do believe he goes on the PUP list, which requires him to sit out untill week 6. He had a knee scope not a knee injury, players have these very offten and he'll be fine he just needs more time to fully heal. I think it will be a major mistake to place him on IR forcing him to miss his whole rookie season because of a knee scope, it will stunt his growth. He needs to get practice time and once he's healthy he needs to see the field even though it will be in a limited roll at first.

Why does it have to be a WR? We have three quality Tight Ends, plus Sellars that could line up in that spot, why not split out davis or cooley to create mis matches in 4 WR sets?

I tend to agree, if he doesn't get on the active roster he may be on the PUP list. The problem is when he comes off the pup list, who do we let go then? Cause don't we have to maintain the 53 roster throughout the season?

I'm just asking for opinions. No need to get worked up.

I like Rock...but when we have a younger Rock clone trying to crack onto the roster and we drafted a 2nd rounder who's returned a lot of KOs in the preseason, it's worth throwing out there.

I'm not rooting for this outcome, but reading between the lines, it's a way to keep one extra WR and only three RBs and still keep Mason on the team. Who knows, it'll be interesting.

Rock is also a big-time Gibbs guy (even though I realize he was brought in before Gibbs). This might be a way for Zorn to put a stamp on this team...

Better ways of putting your stamp on the team then getting rid of a great player and respected locker room leader. I've had my personal problems with Rock the last few years but you can't deny his value to the team.

Mason has looked awesome but in the regular season he'd be running against real football players. Rock has proven he can do that and with his special teams experience, he's just too valuable.

(Not knocking Mason- He proved his worth in the league.)

Are you serious?????????????????

Rock is an excellent kick returner and overall maybe the best special teams player on the team. Mason has looked good, but no way no how is he going to take Rocks spot on this team.

rock is good at KR but calling him excellent is a strech.

Thomas, Mason, Mann, etc. who have been returning kicks this season are all struggling to get the ball to the 20-25 yard line against backup STers (probably not making any cuts). Last year Rock consistently got the ball the 35 yard line which is not something to snicker at. Field position is ever so important especially if our offense is going to struggle, which it looks like it will. No way Rock gets cut.

3........2...........1 enter Blondie! :laugh:

on a side note, Rock has been a core special teamer. Mason has really impressed me this pre-season though. I would hate to see Rock go, the guy plays his ass off and hasn't lost a step.

Blondie has entered the thread. :D:D;)

Why do you all cut Rock every year???? Rock beats scissors every time. Kelly will probably be IR'd, so we only need 5 Wr's anyway.
lol, that's the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title.

I agree Rock is a solid STer, and really what else is a 3rd RB going to contribute to, barring injury?

I'm just asking for opinions. No need to get worked up.

I like Rock...but when we have a younger Rock clone trying to crack onto the roster and we drafted a 2nd rounder who's returned a lot of KOs in the preseason, it's worth throwing out there.

I'm not rooting for this outcome, but reading between the lines, it's a way to keep one extra WR and only three RBs and still keep Mason on the team. Who knows, it'll be interesting.

Rock is also a big-time Gibbs guy (even though I realize he was brought in before Gibbs). This might be a way for Zorn to put a stamp on this team...

Seriously. I'm ducking.
Are you trying to piss blondie off. I think you better run and hide man. Where is the Jason Taylor Pic maybe that will hold her off for awhile while you make your escape. LOL
:D

Not my intention...but you're probably right.

Just a thought...Rock's a great guy (I would guess) and a good player, but he's not irreplaceable. I have to imagine one factor that went into drafting Thomas was his KO return abilities.

Face it this is a young mans game I doubt salary will come into play Rock is on a one eyar deal I think.

Rock is great guy will be bad to see him go. But he will go someday or another its the nature of this game.

I'd say that was enough if Joe Gibbs were still here, but he isn't. There's going to come a time when being a kick returner isn't enough, as decent a guy as I think he is.
I hope not, because devin thomas has been an awful kick returner during the pre-season, he struggles just to get to the 20. Rock at least gets us to the 30 almost everytime

I guess not, huh?

Rock impressed SS, Hue Jackson (the one who called his name in the draft), Joe Gibbs, and now ZOrn. It takes 2 hands to count the players that were suppose to replace him when he was cut in the 6 seasons.

Mason a Rock clone? I don't see that at all.

To call him a Gibbs guy, even though Gibbs made no bones about how he felt about Rock, is ridiculous. He continues to do what he needs to do to make the 53.

NO one player is irreplaceable. Saying he will eventually be replaced is one of those DUH statements. All players are replaced one way or the other.

Devin Thomas made a statement when he was drafted about getting the ball out to the 30 consistantly was not that big of a deal, and he would get it to the 40 or 45. Guess it wasn't as easy as he thought.

I am glad to see him in the burgundy and gold once more.

I was surprised that we didn't keep 4 RBs or 6 WRs. I thought for sure that we were going to keep one or the other of those positions and the coaches decided for niether. I think that we aren't going to be able to keep mason on the practice squad. I think that we will be luck if we do keep in there, but I don't think that it will happen and I was hoping that McMullen would make the team, but now it looks as if he will be put on the practice squad.

All of these Roody Poo fan boys getting their panties wet over the latest training camp / preseason sensation instead of showing love to the people's Champ.

But IT DOESN'T MATTER.

The millions..... and millions of Da Rock's fans will be with Da Rock on Thursday night while we look to take the team to another level.

And in case you forgot.................

Blondie has entered the thread. :D:D;)

I guess not, huh?

Rock impressed SS, Hue Jackson (the one who called his name in the draft), Joe Gibbs, and now ZOrn. It takes 2 hands to count the players that were suppose to replace him when he was cut in the 6 seasons.

Mason a Rock clone? I don't see that at all.

To call him a Gibbs guy, even though Gibbs made no bones about how he felt about Rock, is ridiculous. He continues to do what he needs to do to make the 53.

NO one player is irreplaceable. Saying he will eventually be replaced is one of those DUH statements. All players are replaced one way or the other.

Devin Thomas made a statement when he was drafted about getting the ball out to the 30 consistantly was not that big of a deal, and he would get it to the 40 or 45. Guess it wasn't as easy as he thought.

I am glad to see him in the burgundy and gold once more.

Rock is a core Redskin and until the man looses a step and can't contribute to the 53 man squad, everyone needs to jump off the hate train. There are special guys like Devin Hester that come around to return punts/kick-offs for TDs and they are like a diamond in the rough.....Rock is consistent, which is what everyone should be paying attention too.

Archived