Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mason as Trade Bait?

SkinsAllDay34

We have three aging RBs (Portis only in carries) and Mason has proven he will be at least a good backup if not more. You trade Betts because you can get more for him and he is almost 29. Even if he doesn't carry the ball much he will barely be able to fulfill his contract. RBs are a dime a dozen and are mostly a product of the oline. Why carry three vets?

Betts is a great back-up to CP and he is a proven runningback in the NFL. With that being said, we would possibly get more for Betts if we traded him. Another factor to look at is the youth factor, Betts is a little older than than CP. Mason could become the back-up and learn the ropes. I know he's young, but you can't deny that dude is a beast!!

tThe reason Betts is tradable is because he put up over 1000 yards in 6 or 7 games. Right there is his marketability. Mason playing well against a majority of scrubs does nothing for his marketability. Also, why would we trade the young, hungry, productive guy that we wouldnt get much for, when we can trade the aging, experienced back up that has proven he can do it in this league? He may have a bit of a fumbling problem, but its not that bad of a problem that would preclude him from joining another team. Rock has shown he can produce what Betts can produce in a game, and Mason is young and hungry, and because he is young, has the potential to be with us longer.

All this makes Betts the guy that looks more appitizing on the trade block.

I know the situation, but itz gonna suck if we let go of Mason........I'm a HUGE fan of Portis, and I know he puts up decent yards and he is the best blocking running back in the league, but I hope he doesnt pssyfoot this season like he's been doing in the preseason and last year. I havent seen any kind of burst from him. If we dont have a good year rushing, this needs to be his last season, cause we need a BEAST back back there, especially with the uncertainty of Jason Campbell. I know to say we've had some 0-line issues is an understatement, but we need a back back there who can turn on the jets when the opportunity presents itself. I wish someone wouldve stepped up this offseason and put up a good fight for the return spot on ST, cause I love Rock, but I'd rather take a chance on Mason, that kid showed me something, even if it was against bums.

I know the situation, but itz gonna suck if we let go of Mason........I'm a HUGE fan of Portis, and I know he puts up decent yards and he is the best blocking running back in the league, but I hope he doesnt pssyfoot this season like he's been doing in the preseason and last year. I havent seen any kind of burst from him. If we dont have a good year rushing, this needs to be his last season, cause we need a BEAST back back there, especially with the uncertainty of Jason Campbell.quote]

With the restructuring we have done to Clintons contract and the guaranteed payments it contains there is ZERO chance CP get traded let alone cut for at least the next 2 or 3 years. The cap hit that woud result would be enormous.

Not that I think we should be trading or cutting him anyway. I think he will be a very productive in Zorns system assuming the other parts do their bit.

Re Mason, and Betts for that matter, the reality is they have very little if any trade value. There are a number of veteran runnning backs - Shawn Alexander and Cedric Benson for example - who are sat home right now and are available for no compensation whatever apart from the contract it takes to sign them.

I know you might argue Alexander has little left in the tank and Benson never had much to start with but the point is if a team suddenly gets into a bind and needs a tailback there are already viable options out there in the free agent market.

I read the Bengals are shopping Ruddy Johnson as well to add to the mix and nobody seems to bitting their hand off.

The Skins should have kept Bailey...they would have been just as good...if not better...with Ladell over Portis. He does dump the ball on the ground at inopportune times though, kind of like smoking, an unattractive habit.

Portis>>>>Betts

There is no question about that, we would not have been nearly as good, let alone better, with Ladell.

Ask McD5.

There is very little if any drop off in production from Betts to Rock. We may even see an increase in production. Rock can produce what Betts can produce, and Mason can probably do the same but he is younger and cheaper.

We have taken care of Betts for a while now. His time in the spotlite is now with another team. he isnt getting any younger, and if he wants to make the most of his potential, he needs to do it this season. We can get a draft pick for him the minute a RB goes down, and I hope we do.

We have a log jam at the RB position. Trading Betts would not only aquire us a tool to make the team better, it might open up a roster spot and give us the option of keping another lineman incase one our our starters goes down again.

Lets see Willis McGahee had 868 carries for 3365 yards and 24 touchdowns and the Bills got a 3rd and a 7th for him. Mason has ummmm Oh here it is! Zero carries for Zero yards and Zero touchdowns, so sure, I think we can at least a 3rd for him...

:doh::wish::twitch::poke::insane::deal::stop:

:rotflmao:

:thumbsup::ciao::bow::dunce::slap::loser::sucks:

If they do decide to trade betts. I hope we get a proven linebacker or a high second or third round pick for next years draft. We need a good back up linebacker bad because Khary Campbell is only good for one thing and that is special teams. H.B is good but that where it ends as far as back ups.

Mason is not trade bait. He is the best RB most teams think they can pick up on the waiver wire.

If they want to keep him, they will have to put him on the 53 man roster. If that is the case, then Rock or Betts might be the one to go.

He would have to outplay Rock on special teams to get his spot, or be a better all around back than Betts to take his spot.

Betts, on the other hand is trade bait, especially if a team loses their starting RB in the final preseason game. If you want Mason on the roster, Betts is the most likely to go since they can get something in return for him.

Then again, maybe Zorn will be offensive heavy in the final 53 man roster and all 3 make it behind Portis and one or a few will serve as a back up FB.

If Mason/Cartwright can handle it, Betts is much more attractive trade bait.

Cartwright has typically made the most out of his opportunities and done well, with the exception of an ill timed fumble a couple years back.

If we want to trade a back, Betts is the one.

~Bang

Many have had the idea of keeping Mason and getting rid of Ladell, which I think is ridiculous. Ladell is a solid backup to Clinton and showed what he can do a couple years back while mason is showing up this preseason, but mainly against backups, you have to take that into account (same as Colt)

I'm on the trade Betts bandwagon while Ladell still has value on the trading market. I would rather go with a guy who is as good as Betts and a guy who has no injuries.

I love Mason but he isn't worth anything at all. He would have to see game time and be damn good at that. There is still Shaun Alexander available and rumors now that Rudi Johnson from Cincinnati will be traded very soon. There is absolutely no market for him.

Archived