Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts from the Game with Iheart

skins4eva

Your analysis was right on. Tryon, Westbrook, Devine should be summarily booted. They are awful. Also put Vernon Fox on that list.

Once again fans are ahead of the coaches and front office about Jansen. He is clearly washed up, but apparently we are the only ones who know it. Unfortunately he will be allowed to give up several sacks before finally being replaced by Heyer in game three, if he's not injured before then.

I believe they will keep Rob Jackson over Chris Wilson, who seems to have developed a cavalier attitude about training camp. Kareem Moore and Horton must stay. One of them will replace Doughty by midseason. McIntosh and Rogers were predictably rusty, though Rogers looks rusty even when he's not injured. Neither will contribute this season and will find themselves on IR eventually.

Most fragile Redskin award goes to............Randy Thomas. Doubting Thomas will make it through the opener, if he gets that far.

Agree with one exception. Los is very rusty. I will grant you he's not a shutdown corner nor will he ever be, but I think as he gets his game speed back he'll be fine opposite Shawn.

Zorn won't be using the shotgun. He's not holding that back.

Disagree. The shotgun is a staple of any WCO, and I believe we use it plenty this year.

I am a little worried about JC reverting back to his old form. I thought the team in general had an off day. It's the third of five pre-season games so not worried about that unless they lay an egg next week.

Reference Rocky and Rogers, going to give both the benefit for a while. Coming back to play early doesn't negate the fact that it takes a year plus sometimes to come back from the type of injuries they sustained. From personal experience I have always agreed with that assessment.

I agree with the OP that Tyron has not looked good and should be put on the practice squad to get a year of seasoning. WB should be cut and I think Fox is done with Moore and or Horton replacing him.

I am a little concerned about Reed. I think if LL comes back healthy it will help him out.

Devine is practice squad at best even if we didn't have Colt.

I am liking what Goode has done so far, and it is unfortunate that we don't have a roster spot for him. Hopefully, he doesn't get picked up off the practice squad that he deserves to be on.

Kudos to the threader for a thought-provoking-opinion piece. My biggest problem with this scrimmage is that I thought the Skins were out-physicaled on both sides of the line, especially the starters. The Skins are old and have too many rehabbing players at key poistions. I don't see an especially good year ahead ... on the other hand, the younger players continue collectively to show promise.

I am a little worried about JC reverting back to his old form. I thought the team in general had an off day. It's the third of five pre-season games so not worried about that unless they lay an egg next week.

Reference Rocky and Rogers, going to give both the benefit for a while. Coming back to play early doesn't negate the fact that it takes a year plus sometimes to come back from the type of injuries they sustained. From personal experience I have always agreed with that assessment.

I agree with the OP that Tyron has not looked good and should be put on the practice squad to get a year of seasoning. WB should be cut and I think Fox is done with Moore and or Horton replacing him.

I am a little concerned about Reed. I think if LL comes back healthy it will help him out.

Devine is practice squad at best even if we didn't have Colt.

I am liking what Goode has done so far, and it is unfortunate that we don't have a roster spot for him. Hopefully, he doesn't get picked up off the practice squad that he deserves to be on.

I agree about the tirade on JT, but this notion from the OP he be cut is not warranted.

Actually I do not think Campbell reverted back to his old self... he does not look comfortable out there with Jansen protecting his right side.

I've got real concerns about our right side of the line.

I've got real concerns with our line backers. We have two right now. TWO. We should have 5. McIntosh will take some time to get back on track, Blades isn't playing right now, KC50 is a good 5th, but we need a Will and 4th. Hopefully RM52 and Blades gets it together.

I feel good about our CBs and Safety's. I think it will take a few games but we'll be okay.

And I'm still very concerned with our WRs. Moss and ARE aren't flankers. 11 and 12 are just too new to do anything this year.

Nice summary there, s4e. 'preciate the insight. :cheers:

did you read the whole post?

--Doughty is not a starter in this league. He does the best he can, but he's just not good enough. This is an area to keep an eye on--he will be tested, and it also means that Laron will have to play free safety, because Doughty will get burned back there.

honorary_hog, you have a call on line 2.

You obviously dont read other threads. Most of all of the posters on here consider Rogers one of the better CBs in the league. Maybe you should actually watch games.

Pass the pipe bro. Rogers has meat hooks for hands and gets burned all the time. He can run with guys yes, I disagree with everyones confidence in Rogers if what you say is true. I watch every game and not one time was I thinking to myself..Its all good we have the great Carlos Rogers back there. I have more confidence in Smoot to be honest.

nice post....I too am concerned about pass defense...can't tell what applies at this point:
1) starters aren't out on the field (there is no consistent approach)

Yes--it's difficult to tell who is exerting maximum effort. Campbell definitely reverted last night. He was not seeing the entire field, which is disconcerting at this point. Under the pressure the Giants will put on him, he needs to make quicker decisions.

2) Blache's approach is too easy for opposing QBs to figure out

I'm withholding judgment on Blache for now...but let's just say I'm very concerned. Discussing Blache could be a separate thread entirely, but I have a feeling that he just got promoted to his highest level of incompetence. I hope I'm dead wrong, but I have a sinking suspicion that he's not meant to be a D-coordinator.

3) the backups and starters can't play man on man....cover 2/zone can't work without a strong pass rush

Ah, yes..the old D-line. It's still an issue. If we can't generate a pass rush, the offense will have to score a ton of points. I hopeful that we will.

4) the Lbs can't cover in space...a problem that has pagued this defense for years

Really, few LBs can that well. It has never been Marcus's strength, and Fletcher is a great MLB, but he needs to be moving downhill. It's part of the reason why we'll struggle in the cover 2.

in the event...we won't know what pattern is in play until the first couple of regular season games. as for the offense last night...I chalk it up to a down game...happens with 5 preseason knuckle draggers

This is also very true. These guys knew the Jets would be pumped up for Farve's grand entrance...it would be difficult if not impossible to match their effort tonight. The Medowlands is such a crappy stadium...but at least they got a chance to get comfortable there 3 weeks before the start of the season...and Suisham got to kick there as well.

well why didnt you say that before, now you have an excuse as to why your observations were horrid :doh:

:doh: :doh: You again? Why isn't your screen name CarlosRogers#1? How does it feel to have your hat handed to you by every other poster in this thread? Why do you feel the need to post in a thread when you disagree with my observations, but have nothing constructive to add at all? That's a rhetorical question, I already know the answer.

Pass the pipe bro. Rogers has meat hooks for hands and gets burned all the time. He can run with guys yes, I disagree with everyones confidence in Rogers if what you say is true. I watch every game and not one time was I thinking to myself..Its all good we have the great Carlos Rogers back there. I have more confidence in Smoot to be honest.

Then you dont understand how the game of football is played. INT's does not translate to how good a CB is :doh:

:doh: :doh: You again? Why isn't your screen name CarlosRogers#1? How does it feel to have your hat handed to you by every other poster in this thread? Why do you feel the need to post in a thread when you disagree with my observations, but have nothing constructive to add at all? That's a rhetorical question, I already know the answer.

It actually pains me that you arent the only asinine fan out there. When you can bring facts to the table that Rogers is a horrible corner then let me know. Until then keep throwing up your drunken opinions :doh:

One bad pre-season game and all of our players suck.

So we must've had a team full of pro-bowlers against the Colts then right?

Since we're using that kind of judgement.

obviously its true, we should just cut everyone who the OP doesnt like according to his AWESOME evaluations :rolleyes:

It actually pains me that you arent the only asinine fan out there. When you can bring facts to the table that Rogers is a horrible corner then let me know. Until then keep throwing up your drunken opinions :doh:

Let me give you a little lesson...and this one is for free...using :doh: doesn't automatically give you a valid point, and when you use it, it just makes you look like an idiot...hmmmm.

I never said Rogers was a "horrible" corner, Mrs. Rogers. So, work on your reading comprehension. I said he hasn't improved all that much, and I'm worried about his ability to become elite. In other words, I don't think he ever will. He was a top ten pick, remember? Top ten picks should become elite players, hopefully. I watched him last night, and he obviously looked rusty...but that's still no excuse for letting a receiver like Cotchery get a free release across the middle of the field, when you're playing bump and run. If he had gotten a good jam on him, that throws off the entire timing of the play and forces Farve to check down or allows our pass rush to reach him...but, I'm sure you already realized that what with your brilliant in-game analysis.

Then you dont understand how the game of football is played. INT's does not translate to how good a CB is :doh:

Your logic baffles me. Your right Rogers is a shut down corner. My bad. He is the best. Those INT's you talk about change the game. Good corners make those plays. Carlos does not. Yet.

Let me give you a little lesson...and this one is for free...using :doh: doesn't automatically give you a valid point, and when you use it, it just makes you look like an idiot...hmmmm.

I never said Rogers was a "horrible" corner, Mrs. Rogers. So, work on your reading comprehension. I said he hasn't improved all that much, and I'm worried about his ability to become elite. In other words, I don't think he ever will. He was a top ten pick, remember? Top ten picks should become elite players, hopefully. I watched him last night, and he obviously looked rusty...but that's still no excuse for letting a receiver like Cotchery get a free release across the middle of the field, when you're playing bump and run. If he had gotten a good jam on him, that throws off the entire timing of the play and forces Farve to check down or allows our pass rush to reach him...but, I'm sure you already realized that what with your brilliant in-game analysis.

Alright. Well this is his first game back in months. And your basing that Carlos Rogers will not improve only off one play in the game? Well most of us watched the game on tv. And if you watched the game on tv, you'd see that Los still had good coverage going over the middle. Only to be picked by another WR from the opposite side of the field, which created the seperation.

Your logic baffles me. Your right Rogers is a shut down corner. My bad. He is the best. Those INT's you talk about change the game. Good corners make those plays. Carlos does not. Yet.

Which is why, Darrell Green had an unusually low INT number for the 20 years he played.

Archived