Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pastor snags Obama, McCain for joint appearance

Zguy28

Pastor snags Obama, McCain for joint appearance

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/22/warren.qa/

(CNN) -- Democratic Sen. Barack Obama and Republican Sen. John McCain in August will be on the same stage for the first time in the 2008 presidential campaign.

The Rev. Rick Warren has invited them to appear at a leadership and compassion forum in his Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, California, on August 16. Warren, the author of the best-selling book "The Purpose Driven Life" spoke with CNN's Wolf Blitzer by phone Tuesday from Sao Paulo, Brazil.

BLITZER: Pastor Warren, how did you do it? How did you convince both of them to show up?

PASTOR RICK WARREN, SADDLEBACK CHURCH: Well, Wolf, they've both been friends for a long time. I knew both John and Barack before either of them decided to run for office, had talked with them. Both of them have helped me in the past with our peace plan and with -- they've sent messages to Saddleback at some of our conferences.

And so I just thought let's -- you know, I might be the guy to get them together. So, I called them up and said, let's do it. And they said, well, we'll do it if you be the only questioner, if you don't have a forum, don't have a panel. And if you'll ask all the questions, then we'll do it.

BLITZER: But they're not going to be together. They're going to be separate. These are going to be Pastor Warren and Barack Obama, followed by Pastor Warren and John McCain. But there's not going to be any interchange between the two of them, is that right?

WARREN: Yes. I'm going to -- my plan is to bring them out on stage together at the beginning or at the end. But what I want to do is I want to let each of them talk without interrupting each other. And it's not a debate format.

There will be plenty of time for debates. What I want to do is get people to know the real person like I know them without a time barrier and a buzzer and a time for rebuttal. Let them just speak what they need to say.

BLITZER: The last time we spoke was right after you invited Barack Obama when he was still running for the Democratic presidential nomination. You got some criticism from a few fellow evangelicals out there. You called him in the interview with me an amazing, an amazing man, Barack Obama. Could you see yourself supporting him for president?

WARREN: Well, I don't support anybody for president publicly. I never endorse. I never campaign.

You know, as a pastor, I don't really think that's my role. I have to shepherd both sides of the flock. And I have a church full of Democrats and a church full of Republicans and a church full of independents.

So, I think they're both amazing men. I've known them for a long time. They're both very, very different.

They have both different theories of government, different theories of leadership, different approaches to life. And I -- what I do is I think, because I know them, I think I can set up an environment that people can actually say, oh, so that's what that guy's really like. And I think I can do that for both John and for Barack.

I don't think Obama needs to pretend. He is both a Muslim, and he has attended a radical Christian church for two decades.

And that's why he will never win the Bhuddist vote! They're like damn... what about us! If this Muslim, Radical Black, Radical Christian goes to Israel and wears a Yarmulka, he's like covering everybody.

Why won't anyone pander to us!

I truly pity the American Bhuddist.

I think this will help Obama, he still is having some residual problems with Wright and being able to talk about faith on a large stage can help him, he seems comfortable talking about his faith. McCain doesnt seem nearly as comfortable. Hopefully we will get some tough fair questions and this will be a productive event.

I think this will help Obama, he still is having some residual problems with Wright and being able to talk about faith on a large stage can help him, he seems comfortable talking about his faith. McCain doesnt seem nearly as comfortable. Hopefully we will get some tough fair questions and this will be a productive event.

I think it helped both men. It helped Obama to have a conversation about his Christian faith. It helped McCain even more, who really hit a home run with his personal stories.

From an unbiased opinion:

Obama did not come across as genuine at all to me. He avoided most of the questions and spent 90% of his time stuttering and not being clear and concise with his thoughts.

On the other side, I really think McCain swept the floor with Obama tonight...he was extremely genuine and was to the point and clear about it nonetheless.

Just my two cents....

I really liked the format. It really did give us a good chance to hear them answer the same questions without having things turn adversarial.

Obama did ok, but I thought McCain looked real good tonight. He gave very straightforward answers we don't usually get from politicians. If there is a 'winner' in this sort of thing I'd say it was McCain.

I caught only snippets, then listened to pundits talk on Fox, CNN & MSNBC... Sounds like both performed okay, but Obama made a serious gaffe when he was asked the question about "When are rights extended to a child" and his response was that it was "above his paygrade"... Obama also picked the "3 wisest people" who would have an important part in his administration as being his "wife, grandma and Ted Kennedy"... Not exactly a first rate answer... McCain started his answer with General Patreus... Also, Obama really couldn't define "evil" without also mentioning that somehow there is evil inside all of us. Everyone knows this, but when you are President you are supposed to protect the United States and make sure you know who the heck is evil and trying to kill us and that you'll work to "defeat evil"...

Overall, I get the feeling folks will spin this how best they see fit... However, if MSNBC says McCain won (and I hear they did)... Then I have a feeling McCain won.

Also, Obama really couldn't define "evil" without also mentioning that somehow there is evil inside all of us. Everyone knows this, but when you are President you are supposed to protect the United States and make sure you know who the heck is evil and trying to kill us and that you'll work to "defeat evil".

Smoot..I might be wrong but I don't think Obama was asked to define evil. I thought he was just asked did he believe in combating evil.

Maybe I missed that part of the question though.

I didn't see the whole thing but I think that was a joke. I think he clarified that.

I'm hoping to find a transcript... I'd like to read the whole thing. I admit, I didn't get to see it all and you are right that I could be wrong. Was watching the Redskins. :) FoxNews is re-airing it now, but I missed the first part because I had to watch Phelps and the USA win #8... So, hopefully... I'll get a transcript tomorrow... and sleep tonight. :)

I'm hoping to find a transcript... I'd like to read the whole thing. I admit, I didn't get to see it all and you are right that I could be wrong. Was watching the Redskins. :) FoxNews is re-airing it now, but I missed the first part because I had to watch Phelps and the USA win #8... So, hopefully... I'll get a transcript tomorrow... and sleep tonight. :)

Yeah, I was watching the Skins and Phelps too.

Archived