Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Check out AlGore's HOUSEBOAT

Sarge

I really don't get this illogical, rabid hatred of Gore in particular.

By this logic, nobody who expresses concern about the federal budget deficit can receive any federal funding (no Social Security, tax credits, etc) without being a "hypocrite."

And anyone who is concerned about starving children in Africa is a "hyprocrite" unless they personally give, what, 25% of their wealth to those children? 50%? 100%?

And anyone who is for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and is of proper age and health should be enlisted in the army by now, right? Otherwise, by this logic, you are a "hypocrite" for supporting these wars unless you go yourself.

And to what extent are environmentalists in particular supposed to go in order to be considered "real" environmentalists? Must they live in a hut and eat only food that falls from trees and consume no electricity at all?

And as others have commented, the merits of Al Gore's message has absolutely NOTHING to do with Al Gore himself. I think people realize the truth of his message, and their answer to avoiding the uncomfortable (some might say inconvenient) truth is to shoot the messenger, over and over, with a machine gun.

And BTW, despite these rabid right-wing attacks, Al Gore is leading a relatively green life. He buys carbons credits to offset his consumption, which is a valid way to make one's life "carbon neutral" since that money goes to wind and solar power generation. The whole "electric bill at his house" thing has already been debunked, and now we find out that this boat is also green. These attacks might be credible if they were actually, you know, true.

First off, I'm not a right winger, second, the point I'm making is that if you are out there leading the charge, you should be a leader. Its been pointed out in this thread that the solar panels are currently being installed... Probably only now because of the publicity/criticism.

Its no different than the conservatives that preach morality then turn out to be pedophiles...

Corn, soy-beans, french-fry grease, who cares as long as it's cleaner-burning than petro? ...oh, and not directly funding terrorist regimes in the Mid-East or Chavez down south?

But what about when it's not cleaner burning?

Drill for NG,and take whatever oil comes with it. :2cents:

Its no different than the conservatives that preach morality then turn out to be pedophiles...

I get the analogy, but I see a difference.

Molesting children is illegal right now.

Owning a houseboat is not.

I'd say a better analogy would be "It's like a politician who's cheating on his wife, who wants to make adultery illegal".

(Although that's not a perfect analogy, either. Gore doesn't want to make it illegal to own a houseboat. He wants to encourage cleaner houseboats.)

OK, so what? Every human being who ever lived, save for Jesus Christ, is a hypocrite. At least Gore's trying...

Not at all. But if your whole schtick is "fight global warming," then fight it. If Jesus had said "love thy neighbor," and taken an army to slaughter half the known world, he'd have been a hypocrite too.

OK, sorry. Next time instead of 'owned,' I'll just say 'shot a massive hole into the side of your terrible argument.' The essence is the same. Stop trying to shift the terms of the debate to the unimportant.

Sorry, all I heard was white noise. :silly:

Once again, back to the whole intellectual dishonesty thing. You simply can not use an article that cites Gore's green-ness as an instrument to prove his un-green-ness. Give us some sources that back up what you're saying or stop talking out of your ass.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,254908,00.html

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2006-08-09-gore-green_x.htm

This one, a little over halfway down shows his tendency to act after being called on his hypocrisy: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-466775/Live-Earth-promoting-green-save-planet--planet-on.html

I notice how you completely ignorerd the fact that I said nothing about the boat, and just talked about Gore's lifestyle in general. And on the issue I ACTUALLY TALKED ABOUT, you've proven nothing.

Putting words in someone's mouth and arguing them does not equal intellectual honesty. Argue my point, or don't. The "talking out of your ass" bull**** is getting tiresome. Especially when I've repeatedly proven you wrong.

I guess this is really in response to Keast, but calling someone a "condescending jerk," has nothing to do with his policies. It is the very definition of someone being "outraged at him personally."

Kman, I'm not sure how you can say that you don't fall into this category.

TSF - I think Al Gore is a condescending jerk. Yes, I don't like him personally. You are correct. Very good.

Believe it or not, it IS possible to NOT like someone, AND NOT like way they go about conveying their messgae, AND think they are a hypocrite, AND NOT like their specific energy policies/taxation/etc. BUT care about our environment and get off foreign oil. Just because I don't care for Gore doesn't mean I don't care for the environment.

Hope that clears things up for you.

I notice how you completely ignorerd the fact that I said nothing about the boat, and just talked about Gore's lifestyle in general.

'Course, you didn't specify that you weren't talking about the boat, either.

Still, I guess it serves him right for assuming that your post was actually discussing the topic of the thread.

:)

I get the analogy, but I see a difference.

Molesting children is illegal right now.

Owning a houseboat is not.

I'd say a better analogy would be "It's like a politician who's cheating on his wife, who wants to make adultery illegal".

(Although that's not a perfect analogy, either. Gore doesn't want to make it illegal to own a houseboat. He wants to encourage cleaner houseboats.)

I knew I could count on you to fix it for me... :D

You know what I meant though... not really talking about the legality etc.. but the hypocricy... :cheers:

'Course, you didn't specify that you weren't talking about the boat, either.

Still, I guess it serves him right for assuming that your post was actually discussing the topic of the thread.

:)

Sorry, but wherever anyone points out Gore's greenness, I'll counter it. Always.

(The first couple of posts were right on topic in this thread too, but you don't mention them.)

*In best Aresnio Hall voice* Things that make you go hmmmmm......;)

I notice how you completely ignorerd the fact that I said nothing about the boat, and just talked about Gore's lifestyle in general. And on the issue I ACTUALLY TALKED ABOUT, you've proven nothing.

Putting words in someone's mouth and arguing them does not equal intellectual honesty. Argue my point, or don't. The "talking out of your ass" bull**** is getting tiresome. Especially when I've repeatedly proven you wrong.

I went ahead and left out the stuff you wrote about hypocrisy vis a vis Jesus because my point was clearly lost on you. Everyone. Is. A. Hypocrite.

And while I agree the dailymail.uk article is pretty damning of Gore's past latency in his greening efforts, the fact remains, nevertheless, that Gore has still improved his own commitment to living greener, which is more than most people can say. As for the other two links, I don't think Fox News or USA today are very good sources in this case or, really, any case.

Also, your points about Gore's hypocrisy in the past had/have nothing to do with the topic of this thread, which is about an article that proves Gore's houseboat NOW is actually exceptionally eco-friendly.

That's fine; your mind's made up; I'm done.

:cheers:

Honest question.

Do the so called idiots that follow Gore's advice (Not his example) and made changes in their life styles count in his favor?

Sure.

In precisely the same way a child who graduates from college and makes something of his life, after having been born to two parents who are drug addicts on welfare counts in their favor.

*edit* Also, I hope you're not trying to insinuate that I called anyone who cares about the environment an idiot. You'll notice my post to Predicto about improving current and future standards. Does that make me an idiot?

Sure.

In precisely the same way a child who graduates from college and makes something of his life, after having been born to two parents who are drug addicts on welfare counts in their favor.

Piss poor analogy hh. That is unless the drug addled welfare addicts railed at him every day to get good grades and make something of his life. In that case I'd say they weren't all bad despite their addictions.

Piss poor analogy hh. That is unless the druggled welfare addicts railed at him every day to get good grades and make something of his life. In that case I'd say they weren't all bad despite their addictions.

Sorry.

Guess I'm just proud to have parents whose actions AND words I could follow.

If Gore were that man, like my dad, I'd praise him too.

:2cents:

What if we find out everything we did to stop global warming: which should be over soon, increased the rate of the coming ice age?

That's why it's officially called "global climate change" now.

He doesnt' need to be praised. But if some good comes out of his actions, then the actions were good. By definition.

Everybody ain't Jesus, not even Obama.

"Some good" could have come out of warrantless-wiretapping. By definition, it still thoroughly and completely sucks.

Good doing what offsetting what the Earth is doing?

What if we find out everything we did to stop global warming: which should be over soon, increased the rate of the coming ice age?

That we would be a fact because, despite some pretty cool new science, it's still far too complicated a system for us to understand. Climate change is a part of future. When? I dont' know either but it'll happen.

Going to non-petreleum power sources would have concrete good effects. And I don't mean the environment. Just my younger relatives wallets.

It's illegal too. Grandstanding, even hypocritcally, about converting to IMO better forms of energy is not. Once again, you're not doing well today.

I'm polluting and consuming far less than your boy; and I'm a Republican.

Hate on me on a message board if you want to. I'm better for the environment than the global warming savior.

I'll take it. :D

Archived