Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How much did Gibbs leave behind?

ChocolateCitySkin

Few things got me thinking... Madden said last night that Zorn kept our running game plays from last year. Which if I understand correctly was a hybrid of Gibbs and Al Saunders playbooks. How does this work exactly? Did Gibbs and Al just leave a copy of his playbook behind?? lol

No but seriously, if that's the case then Jason Campbell isn't technically relearning a whole new offense. In fact, with his experience in a West Coast offense I'd think that the learning curve would be rather short. Since half the plays he already knows (running plays) from the past two years and the other half he did a lot of in College.

Other thoughts I had were that while Gibbs may have lost his touch for Coaching he may have established a great team to build off of for the next few years. And maybe as a GM he did fine things to reestablish our identity. (2 paloffs births in 4 years) A team that wants to win rather than collect their paychecks at the end of the day and ride off into the sunset. A team that has no trung candidates or patrick ramseys...

If we do have a very successful year this year are we going to look back and say hey Gibbs really put us into that position??? Or are we gonna think Zorn and Cerrato = Gods? Just some thoughts.

I think what Zorn wants to keep, from what Madden was talking about, was the Redskins Identity.

I think this has a lot to do with the personnel we have.

I don't expect Redskins football to be an all out aerial assault, with Zorn I expect to open up the passing game but not to completely abandon the running game that of course was a cornerstone of the Gibbs Offense

I think what Zorn wants to keep, from what Madden was talking about, was the Redskins Identity.

I think this has a lot to do with the personnel we have.

I don't expect Redskins football to be an all out aerial assault, with Zorn I expect to open up the passing game but not to completely abandon the running game that of course was a cornerstone of the Gibbs Offense

Was that just a Madden "double bubble brain fart?" The way he explained it was as if we held onto our old playbook.

The way i see it. Gibbs built this team but didnt know how to use it correctly. Sure we won some game and went to the playoffs, and i love gibbs as much as anyone else but, and i hate to say it, the game passed Gibbs by. And how refreshing was it to see the opening offensive play in a 3 wide receiver set.

I think Gibbs threw the gasoline on the team and Zorn just lit the match.

This honestly describes the situation perfectly...

Gibbs really did play a huge part in developing this team...I think he gave our team character that is unmatched. During his years here, our team had to face so much adversity and he taught our guys to play through that and most of all to STICK TOGETHER! Hail to JG and man oh man am I excited to see Zorn take over the house that Joe built.

Other thoughts I had were that while Gibbs may have lost his touch for Coaching he may have established a great team to build off of for the next few years. And maybe as a GM he did fine things to reestablish our identity. (2 paloffs births in 4 years) A team that wants to win rather than collect their paychecks at the end of the day and ride off into the sunset. A team that has no trung candidates or patrick ramseys...

I've been making this very point for some time now. Gibbs created a bridge between the disaster of Spurrier and the respectable team you see today.

Maybe Gibbs lost something in terms of in-game coaching/clock management, etc. But what he did provide is so much more important than that, and it's a major reason we made the playoffs 2 of the last 4 years, and it's a major reason we can be optimisitic about the upcoming season.

He established a team that actually cares about one another. A team that actually cares about what it does for a living. What Gibbs II lacked in in-game management skills, he more than made up for by establishing a team with an identity. A team that consistently, week-in and week-out showed up motivated and ready to play--with the New England game last year an obvious but extremely rare exception.

The best game manager in the world is useless if your team shows up on Sunday flat and unprepared.

But I have faith in Coach Zorn, and I think he will add the game-management touch to the mix that we had been lacking. And he'll add it to a talented team that has character and heart. Make no mistake, Coach Zorn will benefit from what Coach Gibbs established here. The sound football team that Coach Zorn inherited is light years ahead of the burning train wreck that Coach Gibbs inherited.

Coach Zorn is the right man at the right time to build upon the solid foundation Coach Gibbs built.

I've been making this very point for some time now. Gibbs created a bridge between the disaster of Spurrier and the respectable team you see today.

Maybe Gibbs lost something in terms of in-game coaching/clock management, etc. But what he did provide is so much more important than that, and it's a major reason we made the playoffs 2 of the last 4 years, and it's a major reason we can be optimisitic about the upcoming season.

He established a team that actually cares about one another. A team that actually cares about what it does for a living. What Gibbs II lacked in in-game management skills, he more than made up for by establishing a team with an identity. A team that consistently, week-in and week-out showed up motivated and ready to play--with the New England game last year an obvious but extremely rare exception.

The best game manager in the world is useless if your team shows up on Sunday flat and unprepared.

But I have faith in Coach Zorn, and I think he will add the game-management touch to the mix that we had been lacking. And he'll add it to a talented team that has character and heart. Make no mistake, Coach Zorn will benefit from what Coach Gibbs established here. The sound football team that Coach Zorn inherited is light years ahead of the burning train wreck that Coach Gibbs inherited.

Coach Zorn is the right man at the right time to build upon the solid foundation Coach Gibbs built.

I think Gibbs threw the gasoline on the team and Zorn just lit the match.
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Gibbs left behind a great culture and attitude, but a good GM? Hell no... Remember, he traded a 3rd round pick for Mark Brunell, a 3rd and 4th for Brandon Lloyd, a 3rd and 4th for TJ Duckett, ignored trade offers for Patrick Ramsey, and so on.

If we do have a very successful year this year are we going to look back and say hey Gibbs really put us into that position??? Or are we gonna think Zorn and Cerrato = Gods? Just some thoughts.

Gibbs is not going to get much credit, I'm afraid... Cerrato won't get credit for winning until Gibbs' guys are phased out and Cerrato's guys are phased in (Kelly/Thomas/Brennan/Taylor if he lasts longer than one year).

Any success we have this year... Zorn will deserve the credit.

The way i see it. Gibbs built this team but didnt know how to use it correctly. Sure we won some game and went to the playoffs, and i love gibbs as much as anyone else but, and i hate to say it, the game passed Gibbs by. And how refreshing was it to see the opening offensive play in a 3 wide receiver set.

I sort of agree with you. Gibbs totally changed the mentality in the lockerroom at Redskins Park so that the inmates are no longer running the asylum. He also instilled a never-say-die mentality as witnessed by the season ending runs in 2005 and 2007. I think in the long run he will have had a profound effect on Snyder and they way he handles things. And I don't believe the game has passed Joe by per se. I just think he lost his killer instinct.

In the end I believe he left the team in very good shape.

No but seriously, if that's the case then Jason Campbell isn't technically relearning a whole new offense. In fact, with his experience in a West Coast offense I'd think that the learning curve would be rather short. Since half the plays he already knows (running plays) from the past two years and the other half he did a lot of in College.

I read something previously here on ES that said although Auburn ran a WC system, it was very different from what the Redskins now have.

The WC offense is like many others, it refers to a style that actually has a lot of variance from team to team, coach to coach. So, it sounds like Campbell's learning cure is still pretty steep.

I sort of agree with you. Gibbs totally changed the mentality in the lockerroom at Redskins Park so that the inmates are no longer running the asylum. He also instilled a never-say-die mentality as witnessed by the season ending runs in 2005 and 2007. I think in the long run he will have had a profound effect on Snyder and they way he handles things. And I don't believe the game has passed Joe by per se. I just think he lost his killer instinct.

In the end I believe he left the team in very good shape.

You have to continue to evolve as a coach as the game changes. Gibbs found it impossible to catch up to the modern game and coach a modern offense. That is the definition of having the game pass you by

I read something previously here on ES that said although Auburn ran a WC system, it was very different from what the Redskins now have.

The WC offense is like many others, it refers to a style that actually has a lot of variance from team to team, coach to coach. So, it sounds like Campbell's learning cure is still pretty steep.

Auburn ran a gulf coast attack which featured a strong running game as it's bread and butter.

When your starting backs are Ronnie Brown and Cadillac you can do almost anything on offense as long as you have a QB who can move the chains when necessary and make good decisions.

What he said. Coach Gibbs came back at a time when this team was literally teetering on the brink of disaster. He was the "football guy" we desperately needed at the time to get us back UP to mediocrity and then up to respectability.

So, I don't blame Gibbs for not getting us another SB. Instead, I'm grateful that he took on the responsibility of patching up and righting a ship rapidly taking on water. Any success Zorn has will be built, at least in part, on the foundation Gibbs2.0 laid for him.

Any success Zorn has will be built, at least in part, on the foundation Gibbs2.0 laid for him.

I agree completely. It's almost similar to what Parcells left wade phillips in Puketown.

Gibbs should get a lot of credit for getting this team into the position it is in today. What Zorn does with it is another story

Was that just a Madden "double bubble brain fart?" The way he explained it was as if we held onto our old playbook.

To be fair his boyfriend was going through a lot at the time of the game so I'm guessing he had other things to worry about.

You all are all forgetting what Madden mentioned after the comment. He said that Zorn was letting Joe Bugel take care of a lot of the run game. Bugel understands the offensive line and how to make them work effectively. Isnt this what the offensive line is about. If they are blocking effectively then anyone can run. We had great rushing last night because the RBs had space. Can you imagine what CP is going to do with that much space?? It can be absolutely wonderful!!

You all are all forgetting what Madden mentioned after the comment. He said that Zorn was letting Joe Bugel take care of a lot of the run game. Bugel understands the offensive line and how to make them work effectively. Isnt this what the offensive line is about. If they are blocking effectively then anyone can run. We had great rushing last night because the RBs had space. Can you imagine what CP is going to do with that much space?? It can be absolutely wonderful!!

:drool:

thank god we kept buges...

if our o-line stays healthy this year :drool:

Archived